What Is Your Favourite Tropical Fish?

wrightt3 said:
They are not a particularly difficult fish to look after, you may have heard the term ancient fish before, this name is given because the Senegal bichir has been around for almost 100 million years. Anything that can survive the mass extinction event that wiped out the dinosaurs must be pretty hardy, however that does not give you the excuse to keep it in poor conditions! (not that you would of course)
They usually grow to 10-12 inches however I have heard that with a big enough tank and proper care they can exceed this size but it depends on genetics really.
They are carnivores by nature so a varied meat based diet is essential, I feed mine bloodworms or beef heart every other day. They can be hard to feed properly in a tank with other fish so you may find it easier to train him to feed from your hand.
As I said before, they are a hardy fish and are not too fussy about water chemistry or temperature provided that you avoid extremes.

They really are great fish and if you have the space then I would definitely recommend them. Unfortunately I may have to rehome mine in the future when he gets a bit bigger unless I can convince my parents to get me a 4ft tank
sad1.gif
 (He is currently 6 inches and is being housed in a tank that measures 100x30x40cm, 35 gallons I think)

I heard they'll eat any fish that can fit into their mouths, so not the community fish :p Maybe a bit like keeping Axolotls? I've kept those before, and Japanese Fire Bellied Newts :)

Sophie said:

I heard they'll eat any fish that can fit into their mouths

That can be said for most fish really. They are not aggressive and can be kept with other fish so as long as you avoid anything smaller than 3 inches.

wrightt3 said:

I heard they'll eat any fish that can fit into their mouths

That can be said for most fish really. They are not aggressive and can be kept with other fish so as long as you avoid anything smaller than 3 inches.

I could see it being a nice attraction for a species only tbh. They're so wicked to look at :D

My favourite fish has to be my angel fish as I put my head up near the glass and s/he always comes to the glass to meet me. Clown loaches come a close 2nd.

Cories. (I have Corydoras Aeneus) I LOVE them, they have so much character and always go about together. They are relatively hardy. Very active. Their cute little rounded shape makes them look like a puppy or a Guinnea Pig. They're the best :)

Most reactions

Back