What Is Your Favourite Tropical Fish?

Wow, um, um. Hmmm.
Can say the only fish I have had I don't like are CAEs.
Love Plecs, but space and poo are a no no.
Angels! Been mad for em since a boy. Were my first fish.
Gouramis are great.
Cories of course.
Bolivian rams.
Otos.
I can even accept goldfish, in a pond.
So many fish I want, but haven't had yet.
Was given a knifefish once with a tank. Thought it was cool, even if he only came out to eat.
Oh and don't forget Bettas.

frapadoodle said:
Wow, um, um. Hmmm.
Can say the only fish I have had I don't like are CAEs.
Love Plecs, but space and poo are a no no.
Angels! Been mad for em since a boy. Were my first fish.
Gouramis are great.
Cories of course.
Bolivian rams.
Otos.
I can even accept goldfish, in a pond.
So many fish I want, but haven't had yet.
Was given a knifefish once with a tank. Thought it was cool, even if he only came out to eat.
Oh and don't forget Bettas.
Indecisive eh? CAE? Am I missing an acronym in my brain dictionary? ;o Could be my unborn child giving me the dumb!

Chinese Algae Eater.
Had one as a boy. It got bigger, got agressive. Started feasting on other fishes slime coats. At least til it tried my big male Angel. It got dead shortly after.

My dream fish is a BGK, and I quite like fire eels too.
But ofcourse I also love bettas and corys :wub:

I'm guessing Chinese algae eaters?

Hmmm I don't know where to start really, ill have to have a think.....

Sorry, I've had this page open for a while waiting for the adverts to come on again, and now I've realised someone has already answered!

frapadoodle said:
Chinese Algae Eater.
Had one as a boy. It got bigger, got agressive. Started feasting on other fishes slime coats. At least til it tried my big male Angel. It got dead shortly after.
The Angel killed it?

Ninjouzata said:
I'm just not a betta fan, I admit a few can be extremely pretty but I guess just not my cup of tea!

FreshwaterAfishianado said:
One day I will have a cuttlefish, and I will name him Cthulhu :)
I didn't realise they were tropical? ;)

Shelster said:
Sorry, I've had this page open for a while waiting for the adverts to come on again, and now I've realised someone has already answered!
:p adverts? :S

For me it would almost be easier to state what fish I wont keep
rolleyes.gif
 , and that comes down to size of the fish, availability and my current stocking and what suits what I can provide.
But for me some of my favourite fish are Corys, Otos, loaches, Blue Eyes, threadfin rainbows and SHRIMP. Endlers are also still popular with me but starting to wear a bit thin with so many babies being produced. Oh and I will always have a soft spot for Siamese Fighters.

Sophie said:
Chinese Algae Eater.
The Angel killed it?
Ninjouzata said:
I'm just not a betta fan, I admit a few can be extremely pretty but I guess just not my cup of tea!
FreshwaterAfishianado said:
One day I will have a cuttlefish, and I will name him Cthulhu :)
I didn't realise they were tropical? ;)
Shelster said:
:p adverts? :S
I'm watching TV lol, was waiting for the adverts so I can cut back to this topic :D

Yeah, George also killed a tiger barb, my mother got. As well as another Angel, that started bullying his brother Frank.
Before anyone goes nuts about the deaths this was 30plus years ago. I have learned a bit more about fishkeeping since then.
Got my first two Angels from Woolworth's five & dime in the mall. They were dime sized and paid fifty cents for the pair. Saw two the same size today. Five dollars each. Talk about inflation.

My favourite fish: platinum arowana. I think it's beautiful. I go to the dobbies garden centre in Edinburgh where they have them in the display tank and just stand there watching them. 

Dream tank would be a 10 footer, corner tank like a corner sofa  |_  <-like that lol with a shoal of platinum, shoal of ember and shoal of cardinal tetras and a shoal of galaxy and a shoal of chilli rasboras. Simples 
innocent.gif

Ny82 said:
My favourite fish: platinum arowana. I think it's beautiful. I go to the dobbies garden centre in Edinburgh where they have them in the display tank and just stand there watching them. 

Dream tank would be a 10 footer, corner tank like a corner sofa  |_  <-like that lol with a shoal of platinum, shoal of ember and shoal of cardinal tetras and a shoal of galaxy and a shoal of chilli rasboras. Simples :angel:
Sounds lovely. I'd love a wall installation tank!

My favourite type of fish would have to be the central American cichlids so my dream tank would be a huge 12ft cichlid community with jags, red devils and other similar cichlids.

Out of the fish I actually own though, my Senegal bichir is probably my favourite

wrightt3 said:
My favourite type of fish would have to be the central American cichlids so my dream tank would be a huge 12ft cichlid community with jags, red devils and other similar cichlids.

Out of the fish I actually own though, my Senegal bichir is probably my favourite
Can you tell me more about the Senegal? How big? Care requirements etc? They seem fascinating and gorgeous to look at.

They are not a particularly difficult fish to look after, you may have heard the term ancient fish before, this name is given because the Senegal bichir has been around for almost 100 million years. Anything that can survive the mass extinction event that wiped out the dinosaurs must be pretty hardy, however that does not give you the excuse to keep it in poor conditions! (not that you would of course)
They usually grow to 10-12 inches however I have heard that with a big enough tank and proper care they can exceed this size but it depends on genetics really.
They are carnivores by nature so a varied meat based diet is essential, I feed mine bloodworms or beef heart every other day. They can be hard to feed properly in a tank with other fish so you may find it easier to train him to feed from your hand.
As I said before, they are a hardy fish and are not too fussy about water chemistry or temperature provided that you avoid extremes.

They really are great fish and if you have the space then I would definitely recommend them. Unfortunately I may have to rehome mine in the future when he gets a bit bigger unless I can convince my parents to get me a 4ft tank
sad1.gif
 (He is currently 6 inches and is being housed in a tank that measures 100x30x40cm, 35 gallons I think)

Most reactions

Back