What is your favourite fish you have ever kept?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I havent kept it yet but I love black ghost knife fish:)

Apistogramma cacatuoides or Botia lohachata.
The Apistogramma for colour, fins and easy to breed.
The loaches for the way they behave when kept in large groups in big tanks.

But there are heaps of others too.

Apistogramma cacatuoides or Botia lohachata.
The Apistogramma for colour, fins and easy to breed.
The loaches for the way they behave when kept in large groups in big tanks.

But there are heaps of others too.
Red dragon peacock cichlid/ angelfish would love to get discus
Hey, all three of us live in Australia!:eek: I live in Melbourne, VIC! I am loving all of your favourite fish!;)

In terms of species? Blue Ram cichlids.

A. Cacatuoides are on my "To Buy" list. :wub:

In terms of individual fish, one of my most memorable, and right up there with my favourites, was a particular male cherry barb. He had some serious issues, the kind of issues that would have kept a psychiatrist in sports cars for years.

When I bought him and a female, Saffron, they were quarantined in my 30ltr tank. Normally, I'd say that a shoaling fish "behaving" itself, and keeping a low profile, was insecure. But I truly believe that Hannibal was in heaven in that little 6gal tank, but Saffron was showing signs of stress, so after 2 weeks, I moved them over to join their tank mates - 6 more, female cherries. Saffron settled in. Hannibal went on the warpath. He dominated that tank. The girls were kept to one upper corner, and woe betide any fish that dared to leave it. She was chased straight back into the corner. Strangely, Tetras were ignored.

So I scooped him out and put him in "time out" in the 30ltr. Thought the solitude would stress him out. He thrived. :fun: Put him back with his girls, and the same happened again.

I decided (remember, I was new to this) to get a couple of big, mean, Blue Ram cichlids. Aries and Ramses. Both male. He stressed both of them out so much that Aries (a veiltail) died the day I moved him to a 50ltr "sanctuary" tank, and Ramses had to be moved across to the same tank only a day or so later. A humble, shoaling cherry barb, took on 2 male Ram cichlids. And won. :blink:

Eventually we moved house, (Ramses had gone by that time, aged about 18 months), and the barbs were relegated to the 50ltr. I got another few barbs, including a younger male.

Hannibal adored him. :rofl: Kept him to himself. No conversing with the females allowed.

He, and the rest of the barbs, died aged 5.

Corydoras aeneus. I keep other species, some more rare even some who are prettier, but the aeneus have the best and cutest personalities. My favourite individual is this tiny guy. He was a rescue i took in who had a very rough start and i didn't think hed survive the first week, but he did and now hes so vibrant and active and a totally different fish. Hes a fighter, and hes wormed his way into a special spot in my heart.
received_234237227711318.jpeg

Also, farlowella twig cats are another favourite. I have both farlowella vittata and farlowella platorynchus for species.

My vittata
20200311_175441.jpg

And my platorynchus
received_148533149783723.jpeg

Most reactions

Back