What Fish To Buy

wheeler-dealer-1988

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hiya all

Well i complete the fishless cycle is now all complete and ready for fish. but need some help.

so after a very long fishless cycle my girlfriend is ready for fish to be added. we went up the petstore on friday and bought 5 neon tetras as they cheap and easy to look after and importantly jus incase the tank when wrong and i had fish dieing. (they cheap)
well now she is leaving the tank with just 5 neon tetras in there untill about 15th feb so if all goes well and then looking at adding possible 2-3 fish about every 2 weeks.

also getting another 5 neon tetras next week (no more then)

what she is looking for is all COLOURFUL fish and also fish that will NOT eat each other all the time.

I have set up a feshwater tropical tank

125l fluven tank
150w heater
fluval 3 plus filter
air pump
plenty off silk & some plastic plants (about 16 in total)(verious sizes)
2 bog wood
gravel
sunken ship and barrel for extra idding places

Please send me the species names and i can google them up for her. many thanks shane

There are many, many fish out there and how one hopes to stock a tank is very personal. A good way to start is to take notes on fish you like when you visit fish stores together. If you put up some proposed lists you'll be giving the members something to "push against" or comment on.

~~waterdrop~~

go to the stores and take pics and notes on things you like and then COME HOME.
do your research and stock slowly and you will have a set up you both like with minimal stocking problems

There are some excellent websites out there that provide pointers on compatability so I'd echo the suggestions that have already been made then decide on what fish you most want and build your stocking list round that.

hiya all

today i went out and bought a freshwater tropical fish book. will all species and name for me, also all helpfull info such as PH and recommended quainty, also will the eat / fight with my other fish.

so im going to have a good read later and once my gf have found some she likes i will update on here and hopefully get even more helpful info.

i will be stocking slowy (lack off funds at moment) as i planned. but will be getting another 5 tetra neons anyway so a total off 10 tetra neons and then start with other fish.

Not a good idea to start neon tetras - they will all probably die. Neon tetras are very delicate fish and extremely sensititve to water conditions. They need a mature tank of at least 6 months (pref more).

ok but what shall i do with them now as i alrady got 5 in the tank

I wouldn't get any more. You'll just increase the number that could end up dying.

Neons are bad fish for new tanks but you have them now, so I'd say stick with them. As long as you don't get any ammonia and nitrite spikes, you have a much better chance of them staying alive.

Don't add anymore and instead look for something that is quite hardy. You'll probably need to get that info here or from your book - many pet stores don't have a clue how hardy fish really are!

i was thinking about getting either some guppys or discus fish. i hear the guppys are hardy fish but not sure on teh discus fish if they are hardy or not.

wass looking at getting 3 guppys and 3 discus

also i meant get the 6 fish within the next week or 2, and both will be introduced to the tank at seprate times

I would discuss the Discus idea a lot more with the members before deciding. Discus are a "specialty" fish in my opinion and usually not a very advisable idea for beginners. They also like just about the opposite type of water from guppies (guppies - hard water, Discus - soft acid water) and Discus need big tanks.

~~waterdrop~~

i was thinking about getting either some guppys or discus fish. i hear the guppys are hardy fish but not sure on teh discus fish if they are hardy or not.

wass looking at getting 3 guppys and 3 discus

also i meant get the 6 fish within the next week or 2, and both will be introduced to the tank at seprate times

Guppys and discus both have their own problems and as waterdrop said, need very different kinds of water.

Guppys tend to be fragile but in a cycled tank they should be fine. Fairly tolerant of pH and hardness. However, the discus need soft, acidic water. They are also pretty hard to keep. Many people keep discus in large, dedicated species tanks with RO water for this reason.

Discus will also need a MUCH larger tank than you have.

Hi, you should get Guppies they are great fish! I have many guppies in my tank and they are beatiful!
I get them at the pet supplies plus store for very Cheap and Great Selection! They have a lot of different types of guppies and they are always healthy!
Look for your store at www.petsuppliesplus.com

Just an FYI Guppies need a heater and a good filter.

Also get 1 or 2 pleco's They are great for cleaning your tank because they eat algae. They really help keep my tank clean! I have 2 of those, one is an albino pleco and another one is black. If you do get one they eat Algae wafers.

If you have any more questions you can email me.

Most reactions

Back