What Backgrounds Do You Have?

Davey Jones

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys, i was wondering what you use as background in your tanks. I have none at the mo as i'm just setting my tank up.
I like the 3D ones you can get, seem a bit pricey though. I was going to try to make one but gone of that idea now. So come on let me know what you have so i can pinch your idea's.. :whistle:

I just have a printed rock one i got off ebay looks good

but i wanna make one using perspex and basically sticking loads of stones pebbles etc to it

I like plain solid black!Doesn't take away attention from the fish and makes them feel safer in a dark corner if they are stressed! :rolleyes:

I too use all black, it shows off the color of the fish. I have had people say it doesn't look natural, but neither does a wall of rock... I have snorkeled enough to know that fish are never trapped in a box with a rock wall haha.

I too use all black, it shows off the color of the fish. I have had people say it doesn't look natural, but neither does a wall of rock... I have snorkeled enough to know that fish are never trapped in a box with a rock wall haha.

I was wondering about black, i'd like black sand so it might be to dark with a black back ground as well??

I used to have black on black, but didn't like the black sand because it showed EVERY little piece of poo and yuck. So I god white sand and black background now.

If you've got any bottom feeders, I wouldn't recommend black sand. My plecs hated it - tried to turn themselves black to blend in, in the end we had to add normal coloured gravel til they turned back to normal colour, and now my tank looks like it's been filled with that cheapy awful harlequin gravel...all I need now is a glow in the dark skull and a bubbling diver to complete the naff effect :crazy:

I'm another plain black - in tanks with both sandy coloured sand and black gravel (separately that is - not in the same tank!). My tanks are heavily planted, though, so you don't see a huge amount of background. Black and black without lots of plants might be a bit much.

I have black background with dark and light blue mixed gravel. I think it looks nice. It's a bit unnatural, but I like it. :)

I use no background, but my tank is infront of a dark blue wall, so it looks like a background, and looks quite nice :rolleyes:

Davey, you may want to get a planted-looking one with a bluish background. Here's what mine used to look like with one:

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/enlarge.php/5593

It makes your tank feel busier. When I put a black background or took it away the tank looked bigger. No background isn't good when you've got a hang-on filter and all those wires like I do. :X

I have black background with dark and light blue mixed gravel. I think it looks nice. It's a bit unnatural, but I like it. :)

Thats what counts, as long as you & your fish are happy. :fish:

Davey, you may want to get a planted-looking one with a bluish background. Here's what mine used to look like with one:

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/enlarge.php/5593

It makes your tank feel busier. When I put a black background or took it away the tank looked bigger. No background isn't good when you've got a hang-on filter and all those wires like I do. :X

Nice tank, i like the blue backgroud. I'll probably end up with blue. I was just wondering what other people went for.

I use no background, but my tank is infront of a dark blue wall, so it looks like a background, and looks quite nice :rolleyes:

That was an option mine is sitting in front of a sand coloured wall, but, even with an external filter there's still a lot of cables, 2 heaters, flow & return pipes, air tubes.
Shame it cant all be done wireless'ly :hyper: God knows how you spell wireless'ly but you get my drift

Most reactions

Back