What am i doing wrong????

DwarfCichlidLvr

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I feel like a complete failure.
My plants dont grown (but i can barely keep them alive) and im loosing fish left and right.

The final list:
1 nannacara - trapped
3 kerris - disappeared with out a trace
1 kerri eaten
2 corys - Columnaris (suspected)
1 farlowella - internal parasite
1 nannacara (she's still alive) trapped almost dead

My fish come form all different sources so do my plants. Ive tried EVERYTHING!
Any advice?
Help!!

Okay, what are the results of water parameter tests, we need numbers please, not fine or okay, that’s ammonia, nitrites and nitrates :) What has died? Any weird symptoms? How long have you had your tank, when did you add fish? As much detail as possible please.
You’re not a failure, I can promise that there is someone on this forum that has the same issues and has overcome them

Hi dont feel too down everyones tanks go through ups and downs. Lets get a bit more info in this thread and see if we can help you :)

What size tank is this and what are the total fish that you have in there currently.
When you say the Nannacaras have been trapped what do you mean?

In terms of your plants, how long have they been dieing off? What type of plants have been dieing? What sort of light, substrate and fertiliser are you using?

Wills

Okay, what are the results of water parameter tests, we need numbers please, not fine or okay, that’s ammonia, nitrites and nitrates :) What has died? Any weird symptoms? How long have you had your tank, when did you add fish? As much detail as possible please.
You’re not a failure, I can promise that there is someone on this forum that has the same issues and has overcome them
Yes. I realize that.
Just did a pwc last night (it get's a weekly 50%). Will test this evening.
Everybody on that list except for my nannacara that's on her death bed had died. :(
Roughly 1 year.
I transferred everything/body form my old tank into this one including filter media to keep my cycle going.
I sold a bunch of fish (i didnt know a thing about fish when i had gotten them years ago so my stock was awful) and then started restocking about 4-5 months later.
Yes, you're right. I've just been going through this downward swing for like 4 month's and it's getting me down.
Hi dont feel too down everyones tanks go through ups and downs. Lets get a bit more info in this thread and see if we can help you :)

What size tank is this and what are the total fish that you have in there currently.
When you say the Nannacaras have been trapped what do you mean?

In terms of your plants, how long have they been dieing off? What type of plants have been dieing? What sort of light, substrate and fertiliser are you using?

Wills
You're right.

36 bow.
2 adult angels (one is stunted)
1 dying nannacara in a solid plastic breeder box. Not connected to main tank
8 I. kerri tetras in a mesh breeder box (my angels will eat them until they've grown a bit more)

oh ever since i got them. So about a year. I can keep anubias and my amazon sword alive and glowing a little. I have some species of bacopa and L. repens that's growing a tiny bit. My dwarf rosette words, stragrass and dwarf sag either die or survive but not gorw.
Finnex 24/7 HLC planted +. Extremely adjustable. But i still haven't figured out what works.
Topfin black sand (newbie mistake 101)
Seachem root tabs. Im going to get some Easy green soon too.

Can you get photos of what is going on in your tank for us hun? Just went through columnaris about a month ago in my main tank, It was traumatic to say the least. If you have this you will know and will need a broad spectrum med and get on to the aquarium salt. @Deanasue would be able to help with measurements as you have a broad variety of fish. But I also have cories and they did really well in the dosage I put in.
Let’s tackle one thing at a time starting with your babies! The better your tank is up and running and everyone is health the more you can concentrate on the plants and getting them healthy. You got this and we are all here to help and guide you through

Can you get photos of what is going on in your tank for us hun? Just went through columnaris about a month ago in my main tank, It was traumatic to say the least. If you have this you will know and will need a broad spectrum med and get on to the aquarium salt. @Deanasue would be able to help with measurements as you have a broad variety of fish. But I also have cories and they did really well in the dosage I put in.
Let’s tackle one thing at a time starting with your babies! The better your tank is up and running and everyone is health the more you can concentrate on the plants and getting them healthy. You got this and we are all here to help and guide you through
Yep. Do that this evening as well.
I realize that. But only my 2 corys got it. (they were the last of their once larger school). This was about 1-2 months ago tho.

I mean i do all my water changes, gravel vac weekly, remove any excess algae etc. Thank god both of my angels are both doing wonderfully. I couldnt loose them after 6 years.

Thanks for the encouragement

Oh and the nannacara died within the hour.

If it’s columnaris you would be finding it on a lot of fish and witnessing their little flesh getting eaten within hours, that’s How I picked it up! I ended up losing 13 fish altogether some i euthanised in clove oil. Show some photos when you can hun and we can all go from there in helping what’s going on. Just stay calm ( abit funny coming from me as I was balling my eyes out when I went through the outbreak and was beating myself up from it) but staying calm and working out what needs to be done is the best thing to do

If it’s columnaris you would be finding it on a lot of fish and witnessing their little flesh getting eaten within hours, that’s How I picked it up! I ended up losing 13 fish altogether some i euthanised in clove oil. Show some photos when you can hun and we can all go from there in helping what’s going on. Just stay calm ( abit funny coming from me as I was balling my eyes out when I went through the outbreak and was beating myself up from it) but staying calm and working out what needs to be done is the best thing to do
Hmm. OK
I was told by a good friend of min that as long as i kept my water quality up i wouldn't notice it. thanks for the info. :)
13. Wow
haha
I've dont that before too.
I can snag photos within the hour

My bff has been in aquatic research for a couple of decades. She is close friends with an actual aquatic vet. He has been kind enough over time to let me send him pics of my fish with obvious physical issues. You’d think with those kind of resources, that I would have all kinds of success stories to share. Quite the contrary! I have lost an entire tank to Columnaris, had fish jump out of tanks never to be found, killed numerous guppies before I realized my water was too soft for them, boiled 2 tetras in a QT tank that had a faulty heater thermostat, bought a comet goldfish and put him in a 10G tank, then a 29G tank, then a 45G tank and finally made a pond on my patio for him because he wouldn’t stop growing! We won’t even talk about plants! I can grow anubias, amazon swords, anacharis, and java fern. I have even killed duckweed! None of us are perfect. We screw up, accept defeat and move on. Each time we learn a lesson and grow. I have learned what Columnaris looks like in the early stages, learned to choose stock that is compatible with my water parameters, learned to keep my lid tight on my tank, and don’t buy comet goldfish! Lol. Your not alone. We all go through these things. I’m still looking for a Tetra that jumped to his death last week. Relax, learn, grow, and have fun in spite of the downfalls. You are part of one of the greatest hobbies there are and a member of the best fish forum! So smile. :)

How certain are you that it was Columnaris? I had an outbreak in one of my tanks a number of years ago and it was only the 5th fish that died that I got very obvious syptoms, I lost 4 adult Geophagus and a Chocolate Cichlid to that outbreak. If you have had columnaris in the tank I would treat the whole thing with a good quality medication. In the past I've always used Waterlife meds but I hear good things about Esha now too.

When you say the Nannacaras were in a trap outside of the tank did it still get filtered water somehow? Nannacaras are very very timid fish so can sometimes be mistaken for ill when actually they are just trying to hide.

For your light I am always wary of adjustable lights, I used to have a really adjustable fluval aquasky and Im sure I messed it up as I could never grow anything with it even though I had previously had good results with flourescent tubes. Now I've stuck to a light that I can only adjust the brightness on with my Twinstar SM but wouldnt recommend that for this tank. For fertilisers I like Tropica products the liquid all in 1 is easy to use and their root tabs have a good reputation too. Could be worth a try next time you get to stock up? Have you ever tried some fast growing stem plants like Hygrophila Siamensis 53b or Limnophila Sessiflora? I like Cardamine and Hydrocotyle too if you like the look of them they grow quickly too?

Wills

My bff has been in aquatic research for a couple of decades. She is close friends with an actual aquatic vet. He has been kind enough over time to let me send him pics of my fish with obvious physical issues. You’d think with those kind of resources, that I would have all kinds of success stories to share. Quite the contrary! I have lost an entire tank to Columnaris, had fish jump out of tanks never to be found, killed numerous guppies before I realized my water was too soft for them, boiled 2 tetras in a QT tank that had a faulty heater thermostat, bought a comet goldfish and put him in a 10G tank, then a 29G tank, then a 45G tank and finally made a pond on my patio for him because he wouldn’t stop growing! We won’t even talk about plants! I can grow anubias, amazon swords, anacharis, and java fern. I have even killed duckweed! None of us are perfect. We screw up, accept defeat and move on. Each time we learn a lesson and grow. I have learned what Columnaris looks like in the early stages, learned to choose stock that is compatible with my water parameters, learned to keep my lid tight on my tank, and don’t buy comet goldfish! Lol. Your not alone. We all go through these things. I’m still looking for a Tetra that jumped to his death last week. Relax, learn, grow, and have fun in spite of the downfalls. You are part of one of the greatest hobbies there are and a member of the best fish forum! So smile. :)
Wow
How true though.
Thanks for the encouragement.
How certain are you that it was Columnaris? I had an outbreak in one of my tanks a number of years ago and it was only the 5th fish that died that I got very obvious syptoms, I lost 4 adult Geophagus and a Chocolate Cichlid to that outbreak. If you have had columnaris in the tank I would treat the whole thing with a good quality medication. In the past I've always used Waterlife meds but I hear good things about Esha now too.

When you say the Nannacaras were in a trap outside of the tank did it still get filtered water somehow? Nannacaras are very very timid fish so can sometimes be mistaken for ill when actually they are just trying to hide.

For your light I am always wary of adjustable lights, I used to have a really adjustable fluval aquasky and Im sure I messed it up as I could never grow anything with it even though I had previously had good results with flourescent tubes. Now I've stuck to a light that I can only adjust the brightness on with my Twinstar SM but wouldnt recommend that for this tank. For fertilisers I like Tropica products the liquid all in 1 is easy to use and their root tabs have a good reputation too. Could be worth a try next time you get to stock up? Have you ever tried some fast growing stem plants like Hygrophila Siamensis 53b or Limnophila Sessiflora? I like Cardamine and Hydrocotyle too if you like the look of them they grow quickly too?

Wills
Not very. It was just an idea we were talking about together. Just an idea the popped up. That's why i said suspected.

OOh. That's not good. I know they can be pricy too.

I have a mesh bb with my kerris. I found one smooshed between that and the glass a few weeks ago.
They are timid but with the influence of angels they learn to beg. haha
She was clearly ill. Puffy eyes. She didnt come out to eat Saturday. I was surprised but thought that since i feed at an odd time she didnt realize (i had seen her earlier that day). Sunday passed and i thought she jumped and my cat ate her (i wouldn't but it past him). I was a day late on my pwc yesterday and it was 8:30pm so i thought i better do it or i'll let the week slip by. So i was vacuuming and i found the body. I thought she was dead so i grabbed my tweezers (aquascaping tools not the human ones)and went to grad a rock in the way. She moved and i saw her condition. I but her in a 1 gal floating tub with some API fin and body cure (only 'real' meds i have) and let her sit.

Yeah. But i have a friend who has great sucess with that exact light.
Im not going to argue but Tropica liquid ferts arent the best.
I have heard good things about the tabs. There is this other brand (tbh i forget now) that i may also try.
Not yet. I was going to try hornwort. I'll looks those two up.

I'll post pics soon

Here are the well overdue, horrible quality pics (i hate my camera)

Attachments

• 20200909_100122.jpg
    20200909_100122.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 158
  • 20200909_100150.jpg
    20200909_100150.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 166
You have yet to provide the parameters (pH, NH3, NO2-, NO3-, GH, KH).

Sorry
pH: 8
gH: 13
kH: 6
0 a
0 ni
5 na

Please dont tell me im keeping soft acidic water fish in a hard basic environment. I know mant people that breed nannacara in my kind of water.

Most reactions

Back