What am i doing wrong????

Ok so I think that its safe to assume that all the missing tetras were eaten - its going to be a challenge to find tetras or a school that will be able to go with the Angels as it will be hard to find fish big enough not to be eaten and that wont grow too big. Eg congo tetras from a store would be big enough not to be eaten but too big for the tank once they grow. You might want to look for people rehoming fish or closing tanks so you can get adult fish that would stand a better chance?

In terms of the ph and hardness its not what you want to hear but it is likely a factor. How old where the Nannacara when they died?

We have talked about a couple of diseases in the tank too have you started any medications for the suspected internal parasites and/or columnaris?

Wills

Ok so I think that its safe to assume that all the missing tetras were eaten - its going to be a challenge to find tetras or a school that will be able to go with the Angels as it will be hard to find fish big enough not to be eaten and that wont grow too big. Eg congo tetras from a store would be big enough not to be eaten but too big for the tank once they grow. You might want to look for people rehoming fish or closing tanks so you can get adult fish that would stand a better chance?

In terms of the ph and hardness its not what you want to hear but it is likely a factor. How old where the Nannacara when they died?

We have talked about a couple of diseases in the tank too have you started any medications for the suspected internal parasites and/or columnaris?

Wills
Yes. EXCEPT. They were in a beeding box! I did bring some of them out into thw main tank. One of those was eaten.
Im considering columbian tetras. Wdyt?

Hmm. Just to clarify they didnt just randomly die. I did my research. Spoke with a few breeders. Breed in my type of water just fine. Now my farlo? I do believe my water pams could have contributed to her death. Most of them are WC.

No, as none of the other fish appear to have they symptoms. Im not ruling it out tho.

Even if you figured out your issues and are considering obtaining Columbian tetras, I wouldn't recommend them adding to your water unless you use RO water.

Also, what fish has bred in your type of water? What is the hardness that the breeders use to breed the fish compared to yours? There's a huge difference between keeping the fish alive and breeding them.

Last edited:
Just a quick one.

Usually there are a few key things that killed the fish or ensure success for fish keeping:

1)Disease - whenever you add new fish, you may bring new disease into your tank.
You need to quarantine them 2-3 weeks.

If the disease is in your tank, you will need to remove them completely.
If not, they will keep killing your fish.
Some diseases that are caused by parasites(gill flukes) can be hard to remove.
I had to treat my tank for 3 months before I can kill all the gill flukes.
Each time the parasites returned(if you don't kill them completely), they will kill the fish one by one.

Farlowella is usually a wild caught fish. Wild caught fish usually carry parasites with them either internal or external.
You will need to treat them when you first introduce them into your tank.

Treating fish for disease is not an easy thing as you have to diagnose correctly and use the right medications in time.
This is the biggest challenge for all fish keepers unless you managed to get good stock that don't have disease.
Not long ago, I bought 6 Discus from a shop and later on I found out that all of them have internal worms. I managed to save 2 and couldn't manage to save 4 which I returned them to the shop.
Many fish fish are infected when they are in the fish stores or some could be even in the fish farm.

Sometimes the nternal worms or parasites may take months before they showed any symptoms.

2)Incompatible fish.
Aggressive fish will kill or eat the smaller fish.

3)Tank size & water change - Ensure that your tank is big enough for your fish and you change enough water each week.

Last edited:
Yes. EXCEPT. They were in a beeding box! I did bring some of them out into thw main tank. One of those was eaten.
Im considering columbian tetras. Wdyt?

Hmm. Just to clarify they didnt just randomly die. I did my research. Spoke with a few breeders. Breed in my type of water just fine. Now my farlo? I do believe my water pams could have contributed to her death. Most of them are WC.

No, as none of the other fish appear to have they symptoms. Im not ruling it out tho.

I wonder if they jumped out the breeding box and where eaten? Given your hard water rather than columbian tetras what about some dwarf neon rainbow fish? Very similar visually - tall bodied, red fins, neon blue body, but much more suited to your water?

I understand what you are saying about locally bred fish but... the fish we keep are species that have evolved in a certain place over a very long period of time that one or two generations are unlikely to change. The result of keeping fish suited to softer water in hard water is often that they develop conditions that will effect them longer term - someone shared an article recently about they developing something similar to kidney stones in humans, equally when hard water fish like central american cichlids are kept on soft water they can end up with mineral defficiency and grow in a strange way sometimes with a strange bump in their head/neck area. I wouldnt rule this out as an issue with the Nannacara.

So as of now you have the 2 angels and some Kerri Tetras in the breeding box is that right?

Wills

Even if you figured out your issues and are considering obtaining Columbian tetras, I wouldn't recommend them adding to your water unless you use RO water.

Also, what fish has bred in your type of water? What is the hardness that the breeders use to breed the fish compared to yours? There's a huge difference between keeping the fish alive and breeding them.
Yes. I realize that. Considering getting an ro unit.

Let me find that message we had. It's been awhile since we talked.
Totally agree there.
Just a quick one.

Usually there are a few key things that killed the fish or ensure success for fish keeping:

1)Disease - whenever you add new fish, you may bring new disease into your tank.
You need to quarantine them 2-3 weeks.

If the disease is in your tank, you will need to remove them completely.
If not, they will keep killing your fish.
Some diseases that are caused by parasites(gill flukes) can be hard to remove.
I had to treat my tank for 3 months before I can kill all the gill flukes.
Each time the parasites returned(if you don't kill them completely), they will kill the fish one by one.

Farlowella is usually a wild caught fish. Wild caught fish usually carry parasites with them either internal or external.
You will need to treat them when you first introduce them into your tank.

Treating fish for disease is not an easy thing as you have to diagnose correctly and use the right medications in time.
This is the biggest challenge for all fish keepers unless you managed to get good stock that don't have disease.
Not long ago, I bought 6 Discus from a shop and later on I found out that all of them have internal worms. I managed to save 2 and couldn't manage to save 4 which I returned them to the shop.
Many fish fish are infected when they are in the fish stores or some could be even in the fish farm.

Sometimes the nternal worms or parasites may take months before they showed any symptoms.

2)Incompatible fish.
Aggressive fish will kill or eat the smaller fish.

3)Tank size & water change - Ensure that your tank is big enough for your fish and you change enough water each week.
Qt's kinda impossible rn. Working on getting one tho. I dont want to restock untill i can qt. Will be about a month or 2.
I wonder if they jumped out the breeding box and where eaten? Given your hard water rather than columbian tetras what about some dwarf neon rainbow fish? Very similar visually - tall bodied, red fins, neon blue body, but much more suited to your water?

I understand what you are saying about locally bred fish but... the fish we keep are species that have evolved in a certain place over a very long period of time that one or two generations are unlikely to change. The result of keeping fish suited to softer water in hard water is often that they develop conditions that will effect them longer term - someone shared an article recently about they developing something similar to kidney stones in humans, equally when hard water fish like central american cichlids are kept on soft water they can end up with mineral defficiency and grow in a strange way sometimes with a strange bump in their head/neck area. I wouldnt rule this out as an issue with the Nannacara.

So as of now you have the 2 angels and some Kerri Tetras in the breeding box is that right?

Wills
That is a possibility as there was a short amount of time where the top of the breeding box wasnt covered. It is covered now. (A hood for my whole tank is in the mail)
Hmm. Good idea. I was trying to keep it SA but i now realoze that may prove to be quite difficult.
I could do an asian tank...... with angles?
Funny thing that i sold all my asian fish. Lol

Yes. I totally agree and understand that.

I did read that. Although i didnt see the part about CA cichlids.
Im not either but am highly doubtful.

Correct. :)

DCL

Can I suggest that the starting point for this rescue is the plant quantity, You need to have between 30 and 50% of your tank volume in plant, for a community tank

Can I suggest that the starting point for this rescue is the plant quantity, You need to have between 30 and 50% of your tank volume in plant, for a community tank
Ok, good idea. I'm going to try to go to my LFS this week.

some pics
I did release my kerris because I found one dead i the breeder box with half of the body missing yesterday.

Attachments

• 20200923_100040.jpg
    20200923_100040.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 70

Most reactions

Back