Very Useful Site

Interesting...............

Stocking levels
Cold water 1â€￾ of fish per gallon (2.5cm per 4.5 litres)

I guess, according to them, I would be fine keeping a 10" goldfish in a ten gallon tank. I don't really think that would work out very well. :no:

Yea, IMO its not a very good site actually. It's kind of like an opinionated site and it sounds like they've picked up a bunch of wrong info from different places. -_-

ah well, I suppose a couple of bits of info which is wrong in someone's opinion means that the rest of the very useful stuff like water quality info, tank measurements and the rest isn't valid at all. Hey ho.

Ok then, let's look more closely:

Stocking guidelines have many caveats which are not really covered. As Inchworm stated, you can't just dump a 12" fish in a 12 gallon.

The conversions for volume are quite useful, though there are many sites where you put your dimensions in and it will calculate the volume for you as well as suggest stocking levels.

The marine turnovers are a little strange. It discusses the circulation of an "unfiltered" tank. I know of no one without some form of filtration on their tank. The general guidance is to aim for 20x turnover on a LR only tank and more is better.

As well as suggesting putting salt in a FW tank, it does not point out that brackish and marine tanks require marine salt and that aquarium salt will not do.

All in all I think there are far better sources of information out there, not the least of which can be found on this forum.

Ok then, let's look more closely:

Stocking guidelines have many caveats which are not really covered. As Inchworm stated, you can't just dump a 12" fish in a 12 gallon.

The conversions for volume are quite useful, though there are many sites where you put your dimensions in and it will calculate the volume for you as well as suggest stocking levels.

The marine turnovers are a little strange. It discusses the circulation of an "unfiltered" tank. I know of no one without some form of filtration on their tank. The general guidance is to aim for 20x turnover on a LR only tank and more is better.

As well as suggesting putting salt in a FW tank, it does not point out that brackish and marine tanks require marine salt and that aquarium salt will not do.

All in all I think there are far better sources of information out there, not the least of which can be found on this forum.

I didn't look at the marine side of it I must admit. I was looking at the recommendations and info about tank water stat's, inches to gallons conversion and the other bits. I liked the fact that it seemed to have a lot of info in one place. I searched several sites for lots of info and didn't find one which had all the info on one page. I guess like everything though, there are mistakes no matter where you look. I would have thought that anyone with marine fish should know about the marine salt versus other salt.
Many eyars ago, there wasn't aquarium salt, you just added salt.
On the whole, I thought it was a good page but then I am not really very experienced.
I plan on phoning them this afternoon and pointing out the errors. They are only 15 miles from me and I was going to go and have a look at their fish this week, but with so much wrong info is it worth it?

Water Chemistry
Useful1.gif

lets examine that chart shall we

they allow ammonia for a discus tank, and nitrIte for all but one tank :S
GH is not applicable for brackish tanks or marines :fun:
and advise salt for std tropical tanks; what part of feshwater do the not understand, is it the fresh bit?

Okay okay we get the point the site is really not a good source of information especially for those newbies whop just don't know any better and follow the wrong info just because it is online. But come on stop bashing on them fenwoman was just trying to make a contribution to the forums and made a bit of a mistake do to lack of experience, thanks for trying sorry it did not turn out well. -_-

Haha, nice one Griz. And Resguy we were just pointing out that its really not that great of a site after all, not really bashing. The thing that is a shame to me is that people do think that all the stuff they see online is truthful and great when its really not...Said my bit.

Most reactions

Back