Very Useful Site

now you guys got me thinking. I'm suppose to be going to bed now but i need to go read a 100 pages on salt to see if its ok for my african cichlids.

First, as to the matter of the defamation of Scott. My reading of his post to us (I have not gone to his site) is not that we should throw salt indiscriminately into every tank, but that there are supportive treatments.

"I don’t advise putting salt in a freshwater tank, unless as a supportive treatment, that is why the level in the table is less than 1g per litre. As some fishkeepers still think it is necessity I included it. "

He seems to be being inclusive not exclusive: The implication here to me is that while he recommends it in some instances, he also leaves room for the broader traditional old school uses.

The rest of his explanations of his table seem within reason.

While you recommend 30x and 40x for marine reef tank and look at 20x as the aim, what would you see as the minimum?

"In other words turnover the water volume e.g. with powerheads at least 10 times per hours as well as at least twice through your favoured filtration system, giving a minimum of 12 times per hour."

Scott here says 12x as a minimum. Is that an unreasonable beginners starting place? Now I am leaving myself open to a hit here, as I don't know the answer and frankly don't care. But my original concern was that we be gracious to this man, who cared enough to visit the forum and try to explain himself in a reasonable and civil way.

Because frankly, while it might not be called strictly flaming, there was a bit of a piling on, and it looks to me like some of what he said has been twisted and taken out of context.

Most reactions

Back