Urg I Got Mouth Full Of Fish Water When Using Gravel Vac

the tanks been alot better no more loses as of yet , i have noticed a oto is looking paler than the rest even his black line strange as it may sound he looks like hes drying as his skin seems to look different hes eating fine he did hide for 2 days but is back about now.
all stats are fine .

tried to find a cheap small quarentine tank today but no luck , .... what size can i get ? .....i dont want anything big as going on side , ........but i do need to no ..does it need to be deep or is it better long ?

i have a spare empty tank unsure of size as got slight hexagon shape at front i dont no how to measure it , but its longer and bigger than my 65litre so too big for what i want ,any ideas how to find volume of it ?

told you can buy net that goes into tank used for breeding or quarentining fish but does it still stay in the same water so doesnt it defeat the point ?

There a tank calculator at the top of the forum.
The spare tanks sounds fine.
Just fill the tank and and run an airstone for a few days, then add the fish but match ph and temp.

cheers will try work it out from there

i dont want to use that tank as its very long and no where to put it , id rather get a smaller size to fit my sides in kitchen , but dont no how small is acceptable ?

also ive only got a extra air pump ,but do i need a filter and heater in a quarentine tank ?

Hi kbod :)

I don't know if you've seen this article yet.

[URL="http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/manage...fer_FishTB.html"]http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/manage...fer_FishTB.html[/URL]

I hope it turns out that this is not your problem.
GEESH our world has gone crazy!!!! Now catching diseases from fish water. or cleaning a tank. I would never have dreampt such would happen. I have started syphon for decades using my mouth, sometimes I get a mouthful but mostly not. What is really handy is one of those 25 foot long fill and drain kits. They are a must!!!! I carried buckets of water for years!!! No more and rarely do I ever need to mouth syphon anymore - Just my marine tank as I do not want the salt water in my septic system. Karen Campbell

thanks ccfc monkey did as you said regarding gravel vac as needed to do water change as moved the tank and it worked a treat x

and ziouxpioux what is a 25 foot long fill and drain kit ? soz never heard of it and where can they be purchased ?

ever had one of those weeks ?

well havent been on forum as my beloved little yorkie (buddy) was poorly coughing up blood and was rushed to the vets, days later theyre still unsure ? ulcer,poison,something stuck ,stomach prob ? hes being monitored closely ,lots of jabs ,medicines and trips to vets luckally 2 min walk away, my poor little boy but isnt feeling to good so been in need of his mum .

as you no i asked vets for treatment for fish tb ,told needed to make an appointment as they couldnt discuss anything unless i did so appointment was made ..................... i was told appointment was £30 just to be seen by vet
needed meds for tb no prob i thought ............. ,was in all of 5 mins if that vet said (sorry cant hand out antibiotics ,need to check on a dead fish first ) .........which funnily enough i dont happen to keep on my person or keep at home ,once theyve died its not quiet the same , then vet said (and as they dont usually treat fish they wouldnt have the antibiotics anyway and would have to order them in ,which they would only do if they had checked dead fish) ......arrrrrrrrrg

and to top it all my kind local vets charged me £30 for telling me that !

He could of told you this before you went. And also told you if it was possible to fetch a dead fish in.

Hows the pet doing.

thanks for asking about buddy, he seems a lot better today he went back to the vets had more jabs,poking around and meds ,vets say they'd like to examine him further by going in with a camera but dont want to as he is so tiny they could cause worse damage ,so they are gonna monitor him daily and take it day to day, he has perked up a bit more but he hasnt ate yet ,good thing is hes only 2 years old so tough cookie,
here he is feelin sorry for himself with his teddy blue .

Attachments

• b_007.JPG
    b_007.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 76
Such a cutie bless him.
Hope he gets well soon.

You need to speak to the vets and find out how they want you to store a dead fish if you get another one die. This is important as any tests need to be done on a properley stored sample. They may ask you to refridgerate or freeze or to take straight there.

I would complain that they did not tell you that you needed a dead fish to get confirmation before the appointment. You had already mentioned that you suspected TB. My vets would have told me that (although I would have known anyway). Either that or change your vets, they don't sound very good.

RIP black neon from tank two ,turned on light this morning he darted so violently smashed head on into the boat dec ,he looked stunned and went and hid,been missing rest of day checked just now found him dead inside boat ,unsure if that could do it or whether he was ill anyway ,tank had been pretty good for ages with no losses,retreated for calumous worms again week ago noticed two black neons have redness around theyre gills and they look wider as if gills are open more ?
water stats fine no amonia was a slight rise 0.25 a couple of days ago so did water change seems to happen when feed half cubed frozen shrimp foods

The lights probably shocked him and that's why he darted. If he hit his head hard could ov been brain damage or hamarage, sorry forgotten how to spell that word. R.I.P.

Are the gills still red now. Bad water quality can make the gills go red.

tank where lost the black neon ,gills seem ok have tested water slight amonia 0.25 did water change now down to 0.

however yesterday i noticed the guppies in the other tank swimming at top ,id already done my weekly water change that morning so seemed strange,did everything the same added my dechlorer ,tested water last night for amonia and nitrite both 0 ,then the red guppy spent a lot of time resting on a rock low down,
today reds back at the top so are the other guppies but one looks totally knackered like hes got no umph,his tails dropped hes nearly out of the top of the water unsure if hes gonna make it ......
retested water stats read amonia 0, nitrite 0 ,ph 8 seems both tanks have risen in ph in last day ..but strange also is the nitrate seems to have gone down now looks more like between 5 & 10 according to aps master test kit ,whats happening is it crashed ?

Have you sprayed an chemicals near the tank.
Is there enough aeration in the tank.
Whats your tap ph.
Added anything later to the tank that could of altered your tank ph.
Nitrate going down is not a concern, the lower the better.

no chemicals sprayed .
ph is 8 which means its up from 7.8 ,noticed this in all my tanks got ph rise all had recent water changes ..

my last 3 guppies in my tank not doing great not ate in two days looks like theyre trying to poke theyre heads out of water, and moving in slow motion ,mostly tails dropped downwards and floating head up...

tested today ph 8,amonia 0,nitrite 0,nitrate between 5. and 10 (more lower towards 5.)
could i be having a crash ?

i have a big air thing like a volcano lots of aeration in tank .

Most reactions

Back