Upgrading Rio 240 Light Unit

Cro-Baller

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to the world of keeping fish and have been totally hooked. I have purchased a second hand jewel Rio 240 and it's getting to how I'd like it now. However, the standard light unit (2 tubes) is, well, inadequate imho. So does anyone know where I can get an upgrade unit that takes 4 T5 bulbs? I'd prefer it to have a couple of switches too if possible so I can have 2 or 4 lights on at a time. I'd like it to fit straight on where the original is (so no suspended ones please) and I realise that I'll probably have to have just one flap on the top instead of two but that's fine.

I'm keeping tropical fish if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

you dont need any more light, if you add anymore it will be over run with algae, is it the colour you dont like? is it too yellow?
According to the literature I've been reading a tank of this depth should have at least 3 tubes. What I want to do is have adequate white light for the fish and one or two plant growth tubes too to bring on the plant growth and to help keep on top of the algae growth. I have no colour issues, it's not yellow or anything, in fact it looks very clear and nice now, I just want what's best for the fish and plants.

you dont need any more light, if you add anymore it will be over run with algae, is it the colour you dont like? is it too yellow?
According to the literature I've been reading a tank of this depth should have at least 3 tubes. What I want to do is have adequate white light for the fish and one or two plant growth tubes too to bring on the plant growth and to help keep on top of the algae growth. I have no colour issues, it's not yellow or anything, in fact it looks very clear and nice now, I just want what's best for the fish and plants.
what you have is fine for all plants providing you have CO2 and ferts, if you up the lighting you need to up CO2 and ferts too.
im guessing what you have read is american?

what you have is fine for all plants providing you have CO2 and ferts, if you up the lighting you need to up CO2 and ferts too.
CO2 and Ferts?

I have used a little plant fertiliser if that's what you mean (Flourish Excel) but I'm a little worried to use much as it increases the nitrate levels in the tank apparently. CO2 I don't know what you're referring to I'm afraid.

My bible so far has been "The perfect aquarium" by Jeremy Gay. It hasn't steered me wrong so far (I think) and was recommended to me by 2 different shops.

CO2 and Ferts?

I have used a little plant fertiliser if that's what you mean (Flourish Excel) but I'm a little worried to use much as it increases the nitrate levels in the tank apparently. CO2 I don't know what you're referring to I'm afraid.

My bible so far has been "The perfect aquarium" by Jeremy Gay. It hasn't steered me wrong so far (I think) and was recommended to me by 2 different shops.
excel is a liquid carbon, and does nothing towards fertilisation.

if you add more light you will have a green tank, and their is no need for more light

if you add more light you will have a green tank, and their is no need for more light
What if I replace one of the white tubes with a plant growth tube? Then I won't have enough light, surely?

I have a separate light unit (which has a blue tube :rolleyes: ) which came with the tank but it uses clips on the back top flap to hold the tube on, and of course means extra wires etc so looks crap. It also gets in the way when I'm hoovering the substrate and doing general maintenance, so I want a light unit that takes more than 2 bulbs, that fits straight on the tank with no mods, takes T5 bulbs and preferably has built in reflectors.

What if I replace one of the white tubes with a plant growth tube? Then I won't have enough light, surely?

I have a separate light unit (which has a blue tube :rolleyes: ) which came with the tank but it uses clips on the back top flap to hold the tube on, and of course means extra wires etc so looks crap. It also gets in the way when I'm hoovering the substrate and doing general maintenance, so I want a light unit that takes more than 2 bulbs, that fits straight on the tank with no mods, takes T5 bulbs and preferably has built in reflectors.
white and plant grow tubes are the same in planted terms apart from the colour difference, If you are going for more tubes stick with 2, you DO NOT need more, if you fit more your tank will turn green and your plants will die. unless you can instantly get a pressurised CO2 and a decent ferts regime going, which realisticly only experts can do. you DO NOT need any more light for the plants what you have is sufficient for any type of aquatic plant!

OK so I have the old T8 unit on mine, what would be a good T5 unit to replace it with, a 2 tube unit of course. I know that Jewel do one but there seems to be a lot of trouble with their light units, is there another make which is better and will fit straight on?

You can get the new Jewel lighting which is T5 for about £90 excluding the tubes. However you might only need new tubes for your existing fitting as these should be replaced yearly.

Most reactions

Back