Lights and plants

Will the plants in my gravel eventually stay there and root in?

Yes, if they are substrate-rooting plants. Most of those in the video are attached to wood or rock.

I got some water sprite to put along the back

I got some water sprite to put along the back

]This would be better floating, it is an ideal floater. When planted, its high light needs sometimes cause it to fall apart.

I got some frogit to float so would you say just pull the water sprite out and let it float?

Could you suggest something to put along the back

I got some frogit to float so would you say just pull the water sprite out and let it float?

Could you suggest something to put along the back

How much Water Sprite? Maybe a photo of the tank will tell us. You could have one or two floating, and leave the rest, depending how many plants. This plant, a Ceratopterus, is a true fern, and daughter plants will form on alternat fronds (leaves) and once settled, you will have many. Especially from floating plants.

I just got one pot of it but it sort of all come apart when I took the stuff off around the root so just pushed a few stems into the gravel?

I just got one pot of it but it sort of all come apart when I took the stuff off around the root so just pushed a few stems into the gravel?

May be better left floating then.

Ok so if I get some more what do I actually need to do with them

As you are aware I’ve never had any plants before this is my fist

The Christmas’s moss and Java moss I glued to the rocks and wood has gone abit brown in places is this just because it needs to bind to the rock and will the bits I have glued on get bigger

Plants in the back are not easy because they receive the least amount of light intensity. The Water Sprite I am certain will be better floating. As for the back, I tend to use Amazon Swords, not as a "wall" which I think looks so artificial anyway, but three plants (always better in odd numbers) not in a row will break up things and the back wall becomes invisible. These are not great photos, my camera and photography skills are very limited, but they give an idea of two of my former tanks, first the 5-foot Amazon tank and second the 4-foot Amazon stream.

Attachments

• 115g July 19-12.JPG
    115g July 19-12.JPG
    293.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 70g Feb 14-16.JPG
    70g Feb 14-16.JPG
    240.2 KB · Views: 22
Since adding the plants I have had a slight hit of Amonia 0.25 is this caused from adding the plants

This is the fertiliser that I was sold with the plants incase that caused it

Attachments

• IMG_9786.png
    IMG_9786.png
    164.1 KB · Views: 19
Since adding the plants I have had a slight hit of Amonia 0.25 is this caused from adding the plants

This is the fertiliser that I was sold with the plants incase that caused it
It won't be from the plants and I don't think it would be from the fertiliser. The fertiliser looks good, because it was @Byron who recommended to me to buy a fertiliser (TNC lite) that does not have phosphorus or nitrogen, the same as your one doesn't.

Ammonia 0.25 can sometimes be a false reading. Really rinse those tubes and lids in tap water and test again.

Ammonia is not occurring from the plants, nor the fertilizer. We see this frequently from different members. I wouldn't worry, the test may not be all that accurate. I can't remember, is there a plant substrate here--if yes, this might well cause ammonia.

In your other thread your video shows cloudy water, @Byron Could the rise in ammonia be linked? It seems like there's a couple of different things going on with the tank atm.

In your other thread your video shows cloudy water, @Byron Could the rise in ammonia be linked? It seems like there's a couple of different things going on with the tank atm.

Normally, a bacterial bloom (the cloudy or hazy water) can cause a rise in ammonia, but not the reverse (per say). If the plants recently added were planted and the substrate was stirred up in doing the planting, ammonia could be released. Decomposition of organics in the ubstrate produce ammonia, but not excessively unless something is seriously wrong, and the plants uptake this ammonia. Again, I would not worry over this low a reading.

Going back on this, I believe these are the plants you ordered. The pictures were more for me! But I'll post them anyway here, just random ones from Google.

Bucephalandra spec. 'Serimbu Brown'

SCHISMATOGLOTTIS PRIETOI
Anubias barteri var. nana
Taxiphyllum barbieri 'Bogor Moss'
Water sprite

Attachments

• Anubias barteri nana.png
    Anubias barteri nana.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 15
  • bucephalandra-spec.-serimbu-brown.jpeg
    bucephalandra-spec.-serimbu-brown.jpeg
    13.8 KB · Views: 16