Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

god didn't make bettas that are colorful and have long flowy fins. humans did.
Which means we have an even greater responsibility t treat them kindly. We have altered them in away which makes them highly unlikely to be able to survive if they were released into the wild; they are doubly dependent upon us. They have nothing else.

There is NEVER an excuse for cruelty to a dependent, sentient creature - NEVER.

I know what people mean when they say that it is cruel to take something out of the wild for our own pleasure (even if we care for it well and give it the opportunity to have a life which is much longer than it could have expected as a wild creature) - I can see where they are coming from. Most wild animals want to stay wild animals. However most of our pets (rightly or wrongly) are captive bred; this doesn't give us the right to treat them badly just because we have "created" them. There is never any excuse to take any creature which can FEEL - especially one which can't vocalise its distress - and torment and torture it for fun.

NEVER.

Which means we have an even greater responsibility t treat them kindly. We have altered them in away which makes them highly unlikely to be able to survive if they were released into the wild; they are doubly dependent upon us. They have nothing else.

I know what people mean when they say that it is cruel to take something out of the wild for our own pleasure (even if we care for it well and give it the opportunity to have a life which is much longer than it could have expected as a wild creature) - I can see where they are coming from. Most wild animals want to stay wild animals. However most of our pets (rightly or wrongly) are captive bred; this doesn't give us the right to treat them badly just because we have "created" them. There is never any excuse to take any creature which can FEEL - especially one which can't vocalise its distress - and torment and torture it for fun.

NEVER.
i never said that we should be cruel to animals. I'm just saying that god didn't make domestic bettas to be colorful, aggressive, and have long fins. as for taking fish out of the wild, there are some benefits. wild caught fish that are in captivity generally live longer than they were in the wild. and what about endangered species? what are we going to do with them? let them stay in the wild where their environment are being destroyed? i mean there are people who keep endangered species of fish (generally wc) and attempt to breed them.

also, have you heard of project piaba? their main goal is to research the impact of the environment and collect wild cardinal tetras for the aquarium trade. they allowed fisherman to catch cardinal tetras and sell them to hobbyists. that's how they make money and if they're not allowed to catch them as means of revenue, then they're going to resort to logging as means of making money, which is detrimental to the environment.

Last edited:
i never said that we should be cruel to animals. I'm just saying that god didn't make domestic bettas to be colorful, aggressive, and have long fins. as for taking fish out of the wild, there are some benefits. wild caught fish that are in captivity generally live longer than they were in the wild. and what about endangered species? what are we going to do with them? let them stay in the wild where their environment are being destroyed? i mean there are people who keep endangered species of fish (generally wc) and attempt to breed them.

also, have you heard of project piaba? their main goal is to research the impact of the environment and collect wild cardinal tetras for the aquarium trade. they allowed fisherman to catch cardinal tetras and sell them to hobbyists. that's how they make money and if they're not allowed to catch them as means of revenue, then they're going to resort to logging as means of making money, which is detrimental to the environment.
So are you saying that German Shepherds are bad, because they weren’t “created by God”(Capitalize the “G” in God if you are speaking of the one true God please)

NEVER.
Exactly! ^

So, @Crispii, you’re saying that we have the right to torture and kill “colorful” bettas but not the wild less colorful ones?

what comment did i say with regards that i approve animal cruelty? hm?

Last edited:
Remember that you all participate in a hobby which tears wild fish from the environment, shoved them into bags and transports them with no thought about welfare to only dump them into barren tanks even more. We don’t have a right to declare if our care is sufficient enough or cruel.

Remember that you all participate in a hobby which tears wild fish from the environment, shoved them into bags and transports them with no thought about welfare to only dump them into barren tanks

aaaahahaha, aaaaah. I see whatchya did there lol.

It's a good point - even our captive bred fish ultimately came from fish that were wild caught in 1 way or another.

Not saying fish abuse is ok or justifying anyone's side here - but man that actually made me laugh. Awkward tension breakers out of left field just get me lol.

what comment did i say with regards that i approve animal cruelty? hm?
You essentially said that because God didn’t make bettas with fancy fins, people have the right to treat the, badly.

Can we keep religion in the same place as politics on this board please, there are 100s of gods, all created by man's imagination, and not one has had no atrocities committed in their name.

*Note: if someone has actually asked, then probably best to abide that.

Respect doesn't make the world go 'round but it sure helps with all the spinning.

Most reactions

Back