Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

I was sitting in a blanket fort with the Badgerling a couple days ago reading books. She handed me "Matilda" by Dahl (which, by the way, is a lovely story--don't ever watch the awful, Americanized movie, though). First chapter, there's a list of books which the librarian gives Matilda to read. I consider myself a reasonably well-read person, but I was surprised that I hadn't read most of the books on that list. The first one was "Great Expectations." Well, if a four-year-old genius can handle it, perhaps a forty-nine year old, reasonably smart guy can too. I will post a book report when I've finished.

I was sitting in a blanket fort with the Badgerling a couple days ago reading books. She handed me "Matilda" by Dahl (which, by the way, is a lovely story--don't ever watch the awful, Americanized movie, though). First chapter, there's a list of books which the librarian gives Matilda to read. I consider myself a reasonably well-read person, but I was surprised that I hadn't read most of the books on that list. The first one was "Great Expectations." Well, if a four-year-old genius can handle it, perhaps a forty-nine year old, reasonably smart guy can too. I will post a book report when I've finished.
Matilda IS a lovely story. And I agree about the film.

I also love Quentin Blake's illustrations to Roald Dahl's children's books - they are amazing! Such economy of line and yet so much conveyed. I can't think of a Roald Dahl story that the LostBear Cubs didn't enjoy, but I know that The Twits, and The Magic Finger were very firm favourites. When Mrs Twit's glass eye stared up at Mr Twit from the bottom of the beer glass, I remember we were all convulsed with horror and laughter!

I must find a copy of Matilda's reading list to see how many I have missed (It's 30-odd years since I read the Dahl books - I can't remember )

Just checked. I've read them all except two.

"Gone to Earth" - Mary Webb (though I have read another of her novels "Precious Bane" which is one of the most beautiful, and beautifully written books I've ever encountered. I think I'll try to get hold of "Gone to Earth"
"The Sound and the Fury" - William Faulkner (I've read "A Rose for Emily")

Of course, I'm much older than you and have had (probably) at least three decades head start.

I don't know if you've read Matilda's favourite book with your Badgerling - but it's "The Secret Garden". If you haven't please do - she will LOVE it!

EDIT to ADD: When I read the plot of "Gone to Earth" I thought it was familiar, and it was - they made a film of it. I saw it heaven-alone-knows-how-long ago - in black and white. It was brilliant IIRC.

Also - Precious Bane was serialised by the BBC with Janet McTeer and John Bowe (Be still, my Heart! <swoon>). I'll have to see if there's a DVD available.

Last edited:
I saw a stage production of Matilda back in the 80s, it followed the book pretty well, including where Miss Trunchbull threw a pupil. As one of the few non-working mothers, I went on most of the school trips as a helper in the days before crb checks.
"Miss Trunchbull" is our nickname for our area dean.

She's a pretty unpleasant person.

I saw a stage production of Matilda back in the 80s, it followed the book pretty well, including where Miss Trunchbull threw a pupil. As one of the few non-working mothers, I went on most of the school trips as a helper in the days before crb checks.
There's no such thing as a non-working mother! Stay-home moms probably work harder than anybody. They just don't get paid. :)

Most reactions

Back