Votes: 0 0.0%
  • low

• rare

• can happen

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
anyway this experiment will involve a nearly sexually mature female, which i will raise till it is mature, so i know it is a virgin and then drop it in my community tank and have my male swordtail mate with her. if she gets pregnant it will be a great undertaking in livebearer history after which i will sell most of the fry to my LFS, which i should gets some cash for as they have never been created before.
have you taken this into consideration?

the females can hold sperm for 6 months after intercourse. and there have also been studies to suggest that they can have sperm passed on by the mother, so to make this a fair test you would have to quarantine her on her own for 8 months

NOT SEXUALLY MATURE, IT CAN'T RETAIN SPERM WITHOUT BEING SEXUALLY MATURE!!!!!!!

anyway this experiment will involve a nearly sexually mature female, which i will raise till it is mature, so i know it is a virgin and then drop it in my community tank and have my male swordtail mate with her. if she gets pregnant it will be a great undertaking in livebearer history after which i will sell most of the fry to my LFS, which i should gets some cash for as they have never been created before.

the females can hold sperm for 6 months after intercourse. and there have also been studies to suggest that they can have sperm passed on by the mother, so to make this a fair test you would have to quarantine her on her own for 8 months

before getting sherty i suggest you do some research, because its funny how an isolated fry spontaneously becomes pregnant isnt it? scientific research has shown that the mother can pass sperm onto the fry.

before getting sherty i suggest you do some research, because its funny how an isolated fry spontaneously becomes pregnant isnt it? scientific research has shown that the mother can pass sperm onto the fry.
what a load, its not true show me proof.

also show me some pics of pregnant fry, if you are so sure

also "sherty" isn't a word

what a load, its not true show me proof.

also show me some pics of pregnant fry, if you are so sure

also "sherty" isn't a word

fry cant get pregnant, but studies have shown and suggested that they can hold sperm packets, and use them when they need to, as every animal on this earth is programmed to reproduce. people have seen live bearers get pregnant even thought they have been on their own since birth... doesnt that show you something?

you cant really say its not true, because its a study suggesting it is true plus it has happened, but they need to rule out further anomalies, but its a factor to consider in your experiment, so you dont get anomalous results.

it can work my molly is preg from a sowrdtail and cant wait to see what comes out . sorry havnt been here for ages iv been away

it can work my molly is preg from a sowrdtail and cant wait to see what comes out . sorry havnt been here for ages iv been away
that isnt possible, it is genetically IMPOSSIBLE!

what else do you have in the tank? the chances are it was pregnant when you bought it

Females can store sperm for quite a while until the conditions are right to become pregnant. Your fish have not hybridized. As was previously stated, it isn't possible.

Platies and Mollies CAN NOT hybridize. Platies and guppies CAN NOT hybridize. They do not have the same number or Chromosomes. Also, thier gonopodium's are different. Mollies and Guppies CAN crossbreed. I've had it happen. But it is definatley NOT common. Look up the thread " Good Golly" in Hybrids. Its a detailed account of a member on here breeding a guppy and a molly together. I, was not a member on her when mine bred, so I do not have a detailed account.

lol, after you've bred the molly with the swordtail, why don't you try breeding a dog with a cat?? it's the same experiment.

interestingly though, my male molly was always trying to have sex with my female platys.

Well well well, what a shocker!

A guppy has 46 chromosomes.

Guess how many a molly has?

A platy has 48 chromosomes.

Guess how many a swordtail has?

While this isn't entirely conclusive, if you care to take a lookee at the book entitled 'Fish Breeding and Genetics', you'll find not only no mention of guppyXswordtail/mollyxplaty etc hybrids (and yes, there is a picture of a reputed guppy/molly hybrid and plenty of reference to hybrids within each genus), but also some fun-time reading about sperm competition, which is a heap more complex then 'oh they can hold sperm for lots of months' and involves such things as actually being able to select sperm on grounds such as alleles within and even which species it has come from.

Apart from that, how would you even tell? Even something comparatively obvious like a guppy/molly hybrid could easily be put down to it having a pretty pattern and a hint of the veiltail trait, equally even if you did manage to, through some heavenly miracle that could well put you in line for a sainthood, hybridise those species the offspring would be prety rubbish and look fairly bland. So, sirrah, unless you fancy a shot at hiring out a lab and doing genetic analysis on any offspring, you're up t'creek without t'paddle.

Jeeze. According to the result I have just read 32% of you guys think that Platies and Guppies can hybridise and 25% of you think that Swordtails and Mollies can hybridise.

The only advice I can give (although it seems that 32% of you are more interested in reading you own posts than listening to advice from anyone else) is to make sure that you set up a proper, scientific experiment with a proper hypothesis, controls and safeguards as, in the event you do get some Xiphophorus / Poecilia crosses then you will attract some scientific interest and quite alot of ridicule if you don't do it properly.

For the record, I think it will be a futile, waste of time but I commend your pig headed committment and curiosity.

after doing lots of research and finding proven pictures - some from a member on this site
the following HYBRIDS happen

Molly X Guppy / Endler
Molly X Limia
Limia X Guppy / Endler
Guppy / Endler X Gambusia Vitatta
Girardinus Metallicus X Formosa
Poecilia Picta X Guppy/Endler
platy x swordtail
Gold Formosa X Guppy/endler

That is an interesting list PipPoodle. On the molly x limia hybrid, does it specify which of the 20+ mollies were involved and which of the limias? I am also interested in the limia x endler cross because I am keeping some limia with some endlers right now and would like to avoid having an unexpected cross happen there. Which limia has crossed with endlers? The H formosa to guppy seems unlikely but so far my formosa are in a species only tank so I don't have any potential problems there yet.

Most reactions

Back