Tyler's 29Gal. Tank Project!

Hey Tyler what lights do you use(off ebay right?) and how did you mount them... 29s are hard to fit

56jman,

I have a T5 HO lighting system that has (2) 24Watt actinics, (2)12K 24Watt Whites, and two Blue(night time) LED's. The overall length of my system is 25" It has 24" bulbs. I have it raised a bit above the tank because it is smaller and I retrofit it for now.

THE UPPER VERY SIDES OF THE TANK LACK FULL LIGHT! They get more like 60-80% light in the upper sides, but down low the light is great.

Here is a photo. I handy manned the wood brackets. I use the eggcrate because it allows light AND AIR into the tank looks no different with it on... Oh and it keeps the fish in =) lol. The tank has done well with it on, so I love it.

20120613_073715.jpg

-Tyler

oh ya, don't mind the hole in my sheetrock there (not mice), it was to get to my vent line haha =) New baseboards are ready to go!

How much was the lighting?

Gethin

The light was brand new, I even got to peel off the paper etc. The total cost with shipping was $75.00 USD including the bulbs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/96W-24-T5-HO-Aquarium-Light-Hood-Marine-Coral-Cichlid-4x24-Lamps-LED-Saltwater-/230764753399?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35baa6b1f7

-Tyler

That is a great deal. Sheesh! I should get that for the ADA if I ever do it. So much more elegant a fixture.

L

The birds nest looks awesome! I think i will get one myself soon. Are they easy to take care of?

Birds nest is great! Its at a decent height in the tank, not too far from the lights. And it has grown like crazy! I would say its about 4X bigger than when I got it. I absolutely love it. I keep moderate flow on it =)

-Tyler

Yes great deal on the lights! I was shocked, because the lights themselves are worth more than that fixture as a whole lol. I might just buy an entirely new fixture with lights instead of replacing bulbs next year haha.

I am tempted to try an Acropora. Pretty stuff, I'd have to keep it high in the tank so it gets good lights. T-5s are said to be sufficient if the frag is placed higher in the tank. SO TEMPTING! =)

-Tyler

Tempting yes...it can be lovely!

but.... really does like the high intensity light - that is when you will see it's best colours.

I am tempted to try an Acropora. Pretty stuff, I'd have to keep it high in the tank so it gets good lights. T-5s are said to be sufficient if the frag is placed higher in the tank. SO TEMPTING! =)

-Tyler

I have a mystery acro in my biocube, came in as an ugly brown stick frag about 1/2 inch long by maybe an 1/8 inch wide on a frag plug. Got it as a freebie. Growing like mad in my Biocube. Starting to branch now and it a greenish with some blueisih polyps. :D

Needs good water and higher salinity, and lots of light of course.

nice. You should send me a pic of it. I think acro is very pretty =). I might have to come to Florida to pry some frags out of your hands lol.

-Tyler

Here it is...

Mystery acro when I first got it... Rather blah...

d94bb342.jpg

Mystery acro now... Much nicer. This is a picture from a few weeks ago. It's grown since then. Still small, but considering where it started? I'm not complaining. :D

a70c582c.jpg

Here it is...

Mystery acro when I first got it... Rather blah...

d94bb342.jpg

Mystery acro now... Much nicer. This is a picture from a few weeks ago. It's grown since then. Still small, but considering where it started? I'm not complaining. :D

a70c582c.jpg

WOW that looks great! I love it. What lighting is on that? I can't keep track of em all hehe. Still have any Yuma Ricordea dudes layin around?

-Tyler

Most reactions

Back