Trying to finally finalize my final stocking list

Yea I meant in the place of. My heart is set on my original stocking list. I was looking at other rasboras, and there is so many variants. I saw these really cool ones at my LFS that had like bronze axes? Would those work in place of the harlequins? Or what about the super green ones?

The "bronze axe" rasboras you saw sound like Trigonostigma hengeli, or less likely T. espei, which are very close species and in the same genus as the common Harlequin (T. heteromorpha). They are better choices in my view, as I think we have already mentioned previously in this thread.

When you go to the store, write down the fish name, and try to get the scientific name. Stores will usually give you this if you ask. Common names are frequently misleading because the store may make them up. I've no idea what "super green" refers to.

But do always ask here about the fish before acquiring them; not all stores will allow returns, and you could end up with something that decimates your tank.

The "bronze axe" rasboras you saw sound like Trigonostigma hengeli, or less likely T. espei, which are very close species and in the same genus as the common Harlequin (T. heteromorpha). They are better choices in my view, as I think we have already mentioned previously in this thread.

When you go to the store, write down the fish name, and try to get the scientific name. Stores will usually give you this if you ask. Common names are frequently misleading because the store may make them up. I've no idea what "super green" refers to.

But do always ask here about the fish before acquiring them; not all stores will allow returns, and you could end up with something that decimates your tank.
Yea, before I was here I was going to get a pair of angelfish and a bunch of live bearers. Thank goodness!

Heading there today to get some plants and a chunk of driftwood. Will check the names.

If I wanted to get otos, would I have space. If I did would I have to get rid of my snail?

If I wanted to get otos, would I have space. If I did would I have to get rid of my snail?

Space is not a problem (yet anyway, you keep adding more fish suggestions and I am not sure where we are now), but otos have issues. Never add them to a new tank, as they feed on algae and if none if available may starve. They arrive in stores nearly dead of starvation to begin with. It is a shoaling fish too, but a small group can work, but wait until the tank has been running with fish for a couple months at least. Snail is not a problem, though obviously it will compete with otos for the same food. But snails can eat any organics and are unlikely to starve in any tank with fish in it.

Space is not a problem (yet anyway, you keep adding more fish suggestions and I am not sure where we are now), but otos have issues. Never add them to a new tank, as they feed on algae and if none if available may starve. They arrive in stores nearly dead of starvation to begin with. It is a shoaling fish too, but a small group can work, but wait until the tank has been running with fish for a couple months at least. Snail is not a problem, though obviously it will compete with otos for the same food. But snails can eat any organics and are unlikely to starve in any tank with fish in it.
Ah, sounds good. Yea I'm just trying to get an idea of what I could and couldn't get. The list has stayed the same though. 10 peppered corydoras, a bolivian ram, and 10 rasboras.

When this tank wins Tank Of The Month (and it better) if everyone involved gets a mention in your speech the voting in the next months competition will have started before the speech ends.
Just kidding kid. Good to see someone caring enough to do the research.
I was gonna make some sort of Cecil B Demille wisecrack but the age demographic isn’t right....in fact I’m probably too young myself.

When this tank wins Tank Of The Month (and it better) if everyone involved gets a mention in your speech the voting in the next months competition will have started before the speech ends.
I was gonna make some sort of Cecil B Demille wisecrack but the age demographic isn’t right....in fact I’m probably too young myself.
I just started writing my draft. First line is actually HAIL CLOWNLURCH. Then it lists all your best attributes. I think I'll try and squeeze Byron and Co. in there somewhere.

The joke about making a joke about you being to old to make a joke about someone so old they are to old for you was pretty fun!
Edit: jk don't be angry :)

I just started writing my draft. First line is actually HAIL CLOWNLURCH. Then it lists all your best attributes. I think I'll try and squeeze Byron and Co. in there somewhere.
My best attributes wouldn’t fill one line I’m afraid.
Will we have to wear tuxedos for the tanks grand opening? I dunno if the trousers on mine still fit. Who’s gonna cut the ribbon? Any chance of the Dallas Cowgirls dancing around the red carpet when the celebrities start arriving?

My best attributes wouldn’t fill one line I’m afraid.
Will we have to wear tuxedos for the tanks grand opening? I dunno if the trousers on mine still fit. Who’s gonna cut the ribbon? Any chance of the Dallas Cowgirls dancing around the red carpet when the celebrities start arriving?
Yep already booked the Cowgirls for a whole week. And yes tuxedos are mandatory, they mill most likely be purple, and will be custom tailored in Italy. Don't worry, you get the first page.

This may sound crazy, but after reading the seriously fish article on bolivian rams, would it be better to keep like 7 corydoras and get 4 rams? This would allow them to pair off and spread any aggression according to SF.

Hey all,
After doing more reading on bolivian rams (SF), I am curious as to wether I would benefit from keeping say 4 rams rather than 2, and downsizing my corydoras to 7. On SF they say to get a group and let them pair off, do I have the space for that?

Most reactions

Back