Trying to finally finalize my final stocking list

Well I already have corydoras, so thats a set in stone fish. The ideal tank for me would be more corydoras and a EBA for mid to top swimming. Would this work? I don't really want a top dweller for now.
Should be ok keep in mind acara can get pretty aggressive which is going to limit other mid top fish you add.personally i dont mix semi aggressive fish like acara with community fish like corydora, not worth the stress for me, and ive heard of people keeping acara with corydora so good luck whatever you choose.

Should be ok keep in mind acara can get pretty aggressive which is going to limit other mid top fish you add.personally i dont mix semi aggressive fish like acara with community fish like corydora, not worth the stress for me, and ive heard of people keeping acara with corydora so good luck whatever you choose.
Yea I heard that Blue Acara can be aggressive, but Electric Blue ones not as much. I saw a really pretty smaller one (Idk the sex) that seemed to be getting harassed by the bigger 2 in the tank. Would like to pick it up when my nitrites stabilize.

Blue Acaras and Electric Blues are exactly the same fish and capable of the same behaviour. In a shop tank it is not a good indicator of what they will be like in a tank.

Nearly all cichlids are mid to bottom dwellers so could come into conflict with your Cories. Mid to upper water cichlids are things like Angels and Festivums.

On a balance of risk I wouldnt suggest this combination, I'd want you to have at least a 4 foot tank before mixing mid sized cichlids with botom dwellers.

What about a Laetacara Species? Quite flexible on water parameters and a lovely little fish - I kept a group of Thayeri for a while but when they bred it got difficult. But the smaller species like Dorsigera (also one of my fav fish) are really peaceful. Laetacaras are also more mid to upper dwellers but would need dense decor at these levels, tall plants, big rocks, branches, floating plants etc otherwise they can be quite timid and could hide in the more decorated bottom levels if that makes sense?

Wills

Blue Acaras and Electric Blues are exactly the same fish and capable of the same behaviour. In a shop tank it is not a good indicator of what they will be like in a tank.

Nearly all cichlids are mid to bottom dwellers so could come into conflict with your Cories. Mid to upper water cichlids are things like Angels and Festivums.

On a balance of risk I wouldnt suggest this combination, I'd want you to have at least a 4 foot tank before mixing mid sized cichlids with botom dwellers.

What about a Laetacara Species? Quite flexible on water parameters and a lovely little fish - I kept a group of Thayeri for a while but when they bred it got difficult. But the smaller species like Dorsigera (also one of my fav fish) are really peaceful. Laetacaras are also more mid to upper dwellers but would need dense decor at these levels, tall plants, big rocks, branches, floating plants etc otherwise they can be quite timid and could hide in the more decorated bottom levels if that makes sense?

Wills
That sounds good thank you. I had no idea silly me :). I will see if my LFS has any Laetacara!

At 30 inches long, it is a bit too small. Pearl gouramis need at least 36 inches swimming room. I have them in a 42 inch long tank and they use all the space.

Alright. After all this info I think I've gotten close to my final list. 10 peppered corydoras, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 bolivian ram. Any objections?

What kind of snail should I get? Friend offered me a nerite for free, but I don't want something that poops a lot.

Alright. After all this info I think I've gotten close to my final list. 10 peppered corydoras, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 bolivian ram. Any objections?

No issues here. And there is space for another species, or two, or even three, depending which species they are. I would look into upper level fish; the rasbora are mid-tank, the cories and ram substrate level. Cories do swim everywhere, up on surface plant leaves, etc, but generally you will see them lower en masse.

No issues here. And there is space for another species, or two, or even three, depending which species they are. I would look into upper level fish; the rasbora are mid-tank, the cories and ram substrate level. Cories do swim everywhere, up on surface plant leaves, etc, but generally you will see them lower en masse.
Perfect! I think I'll start with these to get the hang of managing feeding multiple species and making sure everybody has what they need. Then I'll look into adding something else :)

Just out of curiosity would I be able to keep cave dwellers?

What fish do you have in mind?

I think there are very few cave dweller except for some fish that may hide in a cave at night or once in a while or some fish like Apistogramma that will use cave to spawn.

No, not with the other fish.
Yea I meant in the place of. My heart is set on my original stocking list. I was looking at other rasboras, and there is so many variants. I saw these really cool ones at my LFS that had like bronze axes? Would those work in place of the harlequins? Or what about the super green ones?

Most reactions

Back