Trying to finally finalize my final stocking list

I think your Corydoras won't be safe with Tiger Barbs.

Tiger Barbs move in all level. They can also nip the Corydoras' fins if they want to.

Thanks! Do I have space for any form of algae eater? Pleco, shrimp, hill stream loach etc. Also I think I'll stick to a Bolivian ram.

Thanks! Do I have space for any form of algae eater? Pleco, shrimp, hill stream loach etc. Also I think I'll stick to a Bolivian ram.

When tossing out suggestions for fish, it is important to keep in mind that not all fish work in every situation, either due to the tank size, or other intended species, or the aquascape, or a combination of these.

The two barbs mentioned above are nice fish, but this tank is just pushing the limits. Barbs are active fish, some much more than others, but all with one or two exceptions do more active swimming than for example many tetras, or rasboras. That means more tank length for swimming; the basic 29g should work but a few more inches/cm would provide a better environment for active barbs. Then, when you are considering a quiet fish like a Bolivian Ram, you do not want active boisterous fish stressing it out; some of the quiet tetras make good tankmates.

The mention of Hillstream Loach...this fish is not a general community fish because it needs cooler water and a decent current. The Bolivian would never fit in here.

The term "algae eater" is tossed around a lot but this has several different meanings. If you want a fish to deal with common green algae that you really rarely if ever notice (if such a fish is present), then fish like otos, bristlenose plecos, certain other loricariids, shrimp and snails all fit. But none of these will tackle "problem" algae, and there are very few fish that will, and those that might have other issues to consider. The Hillstream Loach is not a good algae eater because of what I mentioned above concerning its requirements, plus the fact that with this fish you want to encourage algae, so that means brighter light which is detrimental to many forest fish long--term.

Yes, so the format for the final tank would be this. Corydoras, snail, and one other form of fish. So this thread is determining what that last fish will be and how many I should get. If it turns out that there is space for more fish after, we will cross that bridge then. I'm looking mainly for something that will go nicely with my corydoras, and won't require daily water changes.

T
Yes, so the format for the final tank would be this. Corydoras, snail, and one other form of fish. So this thread is determining what that last fish will be and how many I should get. If it turns out that there is space for more fish after, we will cross that bridge then. I'm looking mainly for something that will go nicely with my corydoras, and won't require daily water changes.
That was the most broken english I have ever typed, sorry.

I don't have space for a Electric Blue Acara do I?

I have 1 bolivian that is happy at the bottom.
Few diamond tetras, few blue eye congo tetras and some other blue eye black emperor tetras and some other middle tank fish. All happy. I also have 1 gourami that occupies the entire tank but never disturbs my Bolivian

@Wills would I be able to keep a single EBA?

If the tank was based entierly around the Acara then you would be ok but I wouldnt recommend bottom dwellers or tiger barbs as tank mates. A combo of hatchet fish and pencil fish could be a good option with some small L number or Whiptails. Sorry if its been said in the thread but what is your water like?

If the tank was based entierly around the Acara then you would be ok but I wouldnt recommend bottom dwellers or tiger barbs as tank mates. A combo of hatchet fish and pencil fish could be a good option with some small L number or Whiptails. Sorry if its been said in the thread but what is your water like?
I have a pH of 7.7 and a GH of 170 ppm. Would corydoras work ok?

I have a pH of 7.7 and a GH of 170 ppm. Would corydoras work ok?
Pick a bottom fish, RAMs or Corydora, pick a middle fish, tetra, rasbora, cherry barb.
Pick a top fish. Pencil fish, hatchetfish, gourami.
I have 1 Bolivian RAM and 17 tetras( neon and glolight)
Personally id do
Tank A
Top dwarf pencil fish
Middle small tetra or rasbora
Bottom panda cory
Tank B
Top Marbled Hatchet
Mid small tetra or rasbora
Bottom Bolivian Ram

Notice im not mixing Bottom fish with other bottom fish because the footprint of the tank is limited and those fish are exclusive bottom. Where as a mid swimming tetra is going to have the whole tank to explore. My RAM never goes over an inch above the substrate even during feeding. Hes always on the bottom.
Same for exclusive top dwellers like hatchets, theyre never dropping over an inch below the surface so one wouldnt want to pair them with a bunch of other top dwellers as it gets too crowded.

Pick a bottom fish, RAMs or Corydora, pick a middle fish, tetra, rasbora, cherry barb.
Pick a top fish. Pencil fish, hatchetfish, gourami.
I have 1 Bolivian RAM and 17 tetras( neon and glolight)
Personally id do
Tank A
Top dwarf pencil fish
Middle small tetra or rasbora
Bottom panda cory
Tank B
Top Marbled Hatchet
Mid small tetra or rasbora
Bottom Bolivian Ram

Notice im not mixing Bottom fish with other bottom fish because the footprint of the tank is limited and those fish are exclusive bottom. Where as a mid swimming tetra is going to have the whole tank to explore. My RAM never goes over an inch above the substrate even during feeding. Hes always on the bottom.
Same for exclusive top dwellers like hatchets, theyre never dropping over an inch below the surface so one wouldnt want to pair them with a bunch of other top dwellers as it gets too crowded.
Well I already have corydoras, so thats a set in stone fish. The ideal tank for me would be more corydoras and a EBA for mid to top swimming. Would this work? I don't really want a top dweller for now.

Most reactions

Back