Trying To Breed My Cories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck :good:

Keep your eye out for any fry in the tank... ;) :lol:

I know there's some platy fry hiding amongst the plants - or at least there was yesterday! I managed to catch a couple but the rest were too quick - there might be a cory fry or two but I doubt it

I'll let you know though if there is!

I've started the big sand wash ... OMG! I'm never doing this again! It seems endless ... and my bucket would make a rubbish sand castle :fun:

hahaha I did :p

I've also re-set up my 25 litre hexagonal tank. I'm gonna put the younger platies in there for 24 hours and the 2 oto's. It's sat empty at present coming up to temp.

There's the borrowed Eheim filter in there but the media in it isn't much good tbh but so long as I don't feed them there shouldn't be an ammonia issue to worry about - hopefully :unsure:

UPDATE

The sand is in and the cories are back in the tank .... guess what

THEY LOVE IT!!! So much so they're chasing around like loonies and looking like they're gonna breed :hyper:

Guess what else :hey:

When I was pulling out my plants I found two freshly layed cory eggs :yahoo: :kana:

hahaha ... they are funny ... they're actually zooming around as if they're so excited. They remind me of little kids that have had too many E numbers lol :lol:

ah cant wait to sand my tank! its looking a bit bare at the moment. a lot of my plants seem to have died back to almost nothing! theyll re grow right?

on the upside i think my peppered corys are "in the mood" the past couple of days they've been playing chase me around the tank lol.

Had to look up E numbers. lol My albino cories should be here by Friday :) I'm excited + 100!! I don't know if they are babies or full grown or anything. How old do you think yours are?

In all honesty Staxx ... I preferred the black gravel but sat watching my cories going beserk has made the change worthwhile. It does make the tank the look a lot bigger - optical illusion obviously as it's not grown in size :lol:

Be prepared though before you do it. Get the sand well washed well before you strip the tank. Have somewhere safe for the fish to go - a storage box or something. Make sure it's got an airstone if you can't put your filter in with them like I couldn't and get a heater in with them. They could be in there a while and it will soon get cold.

I'm looking at my tank now and it's still really cloudy. I really washed the life out of the sand but it's obviously not as clean as I thought. The fish don't seem bothered by it though and I can do some water changes to clear it over the next few days.

There will be pictures to follow but I want to wait until it's looking better. I've not got all the plants back in yet and there's some stones to go in later (I may buy new)

It's taken me all day, I'm exhausted, my back is screaming and it's not a job I'd like to repeat in a hurry, fish are happy fishes though so I'm happy :)

As for your plants. A lot die back while they adjust to your water (PH, hardness etc) but they usually recover. You'll learn as you go on what works best with the water you have. My water is soft so Vallis just dies so I know to avoid that now

Had to look up E numbers. lol My albino cories should be here by Friday :) I'm excited + 100!! I don't know if they are babies or full grown or anything. How old do you think yours are?

E numbers = the nasty additives they put in sweets that make kids go loopy and hyper active :hyper:

My cories vary in ages. I've had 2 bronze and the high fin peppered about 7 or 8 months now so they're probably about a year old or so. The other vary from 7-8 months old to maybe 10 months. I think that's why the breeding is hit and miss. Some are old enough and some arn't quite there yet.

Good luck with those Albino's - I'll look forward to pictures :)

:D THanks, your water will probably clear on its own. It's no doubt just the finest of the particles. Mine cleared fully in 2 days with the help of a little carbon.

I have some new carbon sponges. Is it worth putting a fresh one in?

Well done - the difference in the cories will be amazing :lol:

It will clear over the next day or so :good:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back