Trouble With Fluval 305

EllieW

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All

I have had my 305 for a few months now and the flow is great for about 2 weeks and then I suddenly notice its not working at all. I then have to prime it for ages to get it going again.

Does this happen to anyone else or any idea why this would be happening?

I had a similar problem with a smaller fluval unit. In the end I discovered the O ring had gone, and replaced it. I'd check the filter media inside and rinse some of it off in tank water/RO. Don't wash all of it off, just get rid of any obvious debris that could cause a blockage.

Also, rinse off the intake, etc. Sometimes the little ball on the intake gets stuck.

Some people pack their canister's first compartment with cheap polyester fiber that is easy to replace.

The most talked about thing online in conjunction with this filter is to turn it off then pull up on the water flow control and stop the flow, Then unplug. Their web site talks about the problem. Do a google search for airlock in conjunction with the fluval model you have.

When you start the filter up again, after doing that... try giving it a small shake leaving it, giving it a small shake, leaving it and giving it a small shake again. It sometimes removes some of the trapped air inside the filter. Be careful, obviously. :p

I had a similar problem with a smaller fluval unit. In the end I discovered the O ring had gone, and replaced it. I'd check the filter media inside and rinse some of it off in tank water/RO. Don't wash all of it off, just get rid of any obvious debris that could cause a blockage.

Also, rinse off the intake, etc. Sometimes the little ball on the intake gets stuck.

Some people pack their canister's first compartment with cheap polyester fiber that is easy to replace.

The most talked about thing online in conjunction with this filter is to turn it off then pull up on the water flow control and stop the flow, Then unplug. Their web site talks about the problem. Do a google search for airlock in conjunction with the fluval model you have.

When you start the filter up again, after doing that... try giving it a small shake leaving it, giving it a small shake, leaving it and giving it a small shake again. It sometimes removes some of the trapped air inside the filter. Be careful, obviously. :p

Thanks Dan

Maybe it is the intake strainer as you say, often when i do a clean bit of leaves are attached to the outside of the strainer so maybe its jamming in the little ball creating airlock or something.

i'll strip it down again and try and keep the strainer clear all the time. Hopefully this will sort it out :good:

I hope the o ring hasnt gone yet as its not very old

Most reactions

Back