Guppy paralyzed?

Rhysp87

Reaction score
I had to put one of my guppies down yesterday as she was clearly suffering and I couldn't let it continue. Was wondering what it could have been though in case it happens again and there's something I could do with the right treatments.
Basically I came home to find her lying on the bottom of the tank unable to move. She seemed to be able to use her pectoral fins to sort of drag herself around the bottom of the tank a tiny bit but appeared to have no movement at all in her tail.
I'd noticed she hadn't had as much energy in the days leading up to this but seemed to be moving about ok and eating.
Ammonia and nitrites were zero and had been every time I tested for months before hand. Nitrates very low and kept under control with at least weekly water changes.
I know it may not be possible to get a proper diagnosis now but just interested if anyone has an idea of what could have happened?
I knew I should never have gotten attached to a fish but she was by far my favourite. Was horrible putting her down.

There are a few possibilities. A cyst or a tumour. An aneurism. An injury. None are good, but they correspond to just about what could cause us to be paralyzed.

My sympathies for your loss. Past year, I lost my 16 year-old Pleco and 13 year old Cory. So we do get attached, we do everything we can for them.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like there's probably not much I could have done by the time I found her then?
My sympathies for your loss. Past year, I lost my 16 year-old Pleco and 13 year old Cory. So we do get attached, we do everything we can for them.
Thank you.:).

Most reactions

Back