Trouble Breeding Your Fish?

I have never heard of chemical sterilisation in fish.
I second that and also did some google searches and found nothing. It is quite common for people to make up reasons for why they don't succeed in something. And it honestly sounds like chemical sterilization is such an excess.

Many fish and plants need very specific environmental conditions to trigger grading. Some are well known such as temperatures but some are not . For example a Christmas's cactus will only flower when eh night is about 10 hours long. Most people don't quite get 8 hour of sleep then then they get up and the lights are on. So many don't have luck with this plant. But if you put it in a room that onlygets sunlight but no artificial light sources it will flower. In the fall or winter when when the nights are longer. In another case a rare tree was in a large green house and for decades it never flowered. But during one storem the greenhouse was damaged exposing that tree to winds for the first time. It flowered immediately.

For fish it can be tricky. Some may only bread when winer rains deliver softer water but for most of the year the water is hard. It is also conceivable for fish to only bread is silty water because it would help hid the eggs and juvinals. Nerite snails normally live in fresh water streams but the eggs will only hatch in salt water and the snails can only grow to adults in brackish or salt water. Many people of tried but as far as I know no one has succeeded to bread then in an aquarium.

I couldn't get my blue dream shrimp to reproduce in my RO water tank. I went years without seen any reproduction. Then after I also noticed pond snails numbers dropping I decided to so an experiment I added trace levels of iodine, bromine lithium, sodium, selenium, vanadium ,cobalt, These are all element animals need to live but plants do not need. They are not in RO water or in plant fertilizers. Three months later after a one week trip I got back home and found 30 Juvenal shrimp in tank.

Last edited:
I second that and also did some google searches and found nothing. It is quite common for people to make up reasons for why they don't succeed in something. And it honestly sounds like chemical sterilization is such an excess.

Many fish and plants need very specific environmental conditions to trigger grading. Some are well known such as temperatures but some are not . For example a Christmas's cactus will only flower when eh night is about 10 hours long. Most people don't quite get 8 hour of sleep then then they get up and the lights are on. So many don't have luck with this plant. But if you put it in a room that onlygets sunlight but no artificial light sources it will flower. In the fall or winter when when the nights are longer. In another case a rare tree was in a large green house and for decades it never flowered. But during one storem the greenhouse was damaged exposing that tree to winds for the first time. It flowered immediately.

For fish it can be tricky. Some may only bread when winer rains deliver softer water but for most of the year the water is hard. It is also conceivable for fish to only bread is silty water because it would help hid the eggs and juvinals. Nerite snails normally live in fresh water streams but the eggs will only hatch in salt water and the snails can only grow to adults in brackish or salt water. Many people of tried but as far as I know no one has succeeded to bread then in an aquarium.

I couldn't get my blue dream shrimp to reproduce in my RO water tank. I went years without seen any reproduction. Then after I also noticed pond snails numbers dropping I decided to so an experiment I added trace levels of iodine, bromine lithium, sodium, selenium, vanadium ,cobalt, These are all element animals need to live but plants do not need. They are not in RO water or in plant fertilizers. Three months later after a one week trip I got back home and found 30 Juvenal shrimp in tank.

I do not know what you googled but here is this:

After reading that, you could google "Triploid Fish".

You probably won't as it appears you have "an opinion" that I have no interest in entertaining.

I have heard of chemical sterilization, and it is quite a common strategy, in fact, the bighead carp (Hypophthalmichthys nobilis) and the grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon Idella) being sold to pond owners looking to use them as algae eaters in their ponds are sterilized either by chemicals or by temperature shock during embryo development in the egg (creating the triploid fish) to prevent them from breeding, so yeah, it does exist.

It is quite common for people to make up reasons for why they don't succeed in something. And it honestly sounds like chemical sterilization is such an excess.
IDK why, but this specific phrase made me quite angry, probably because it made you sound quite dumb and like if you felt you are an expert at fish breeding
this isn't trying to breed Amano shrimp in the home aquarium, he is talking about mountain minnows, one of the easiest egg scatterers to breed.
I couldn't get my blue dream shrimp to reproduce in my RO water tank. I went years without seen any reproduction.
and if you were as good of a fish keeper as you seem to believe you are then you would have known that neocaridina shrimp prefer hard water and RO water is very soft

I have heard of chemical sterilization, and it is quite a common strategy, in fact, the bighead carp (Hypophthalmichthys nobilis) and the grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon Idella) being sold to pond owners looking to use them as algae eaters in their ponds are sterilized either by chemicals or by temperature shock during embryo development in the egg (creating the triploid fish) to prevent them from breeding, so yeah, it does exist.

IDK why, but this specific phrase made me quite angry, probably because it made you sound quite dumb and like if you felt you are an expert at fish breeding

this isn't trying to breed Amano shrimp in the home aquarium, he is talking about mountain minnows, one of the easiest egg scatterers to breed.

and if you were as good of a fish keeper as you seem to believe you are then you would have known that neocaridina shrimp prefer hard water and RO water is very soft
It is refreshing to see some opinions from others...those who have actual experience and research...

Most reactions

Back