Trigon 190 & External Filter

dave239

Reaction score
I have a Trigon 190 with three Oscars, they were small but now a year later are huge, i am looking at getting the tetretec 700 but my tank doesn't have the cut out at the back to take the pipes into the tank, I've looked at one in the shop and it does! bizaar!, does anyone know if I will still be able to use this filter!

Yes you can use that filter, you just have to make the cuts in the hood yourself (very easy, I've done it on my 190).

However, you should know a trigon 190 is not nearly big enough for 3 oscars unfortunately, it can barely accommodate for one. With a very large external IMO you may get away with just one, but most people recommend around 75 gallons for one oscar.

I personally wouldn't keep an oscar in a trigon 190, it would be to cramped for the adult fish.

Regardless, the ex700 is not going to do the job. For three (or even just one adult) oscars you would need something like 2 x Tetratec ex1200's, a Fluval fx5 or
an Eheim 2075.

You could use it, but it would be seriously underpowered, even for one Oscar...

You want one Oscar maximum in there with it being a *relatively* small tank for them. You can sometimes get away with pairs in large (6ft+ long) tanks, but not in a Trigon 190 :no: Sooner or later that will become a bloodbath :sad:

With one Oscar, I'd be looking at a pair of the 700's bigger cousin, the EX1200.

As for the issue with the flap, a junior hacksaw/coping saw will soon sort it :good:

All the best
Rabbut

The tank is no-way big enough for 3 oscars.

As already mentioned you could get away with one (just) however oscars should be kept in longer tanks with enough turning room so they can swim about, not in a corner tank unless it is flamin huge!

I use an ex700 as well as a fluval 405 in mine with two oscars in but am going to upgrade to two 405's, or Eheim 2080.

Are you keeping the internal running as well? If so then you will prob get away with the ex700. If not, then get the biggest you can afford! ex1200 at least. It could make it like a whirl pool though.

The tank is no-way big enough for 3 oscars.

As already mentioned you could get away with one (just) however oscars should be kept in longer tanks with enough turning room so they can swim about, not in a corner tank unless it is flamin huge!

I use an ex700 as well as a fluval 405 in mine with two oscars in but am going to upgrade to two 405's, or Eheim 2080.

Are you keeping the internal running as well? If so then you will prob get away with the ex700. If not, then get the biggest you can afford! ex1200 at least. It could make it like a whirl pool though.

bit concerned about the comments regarding having three ocsars in the tank especially as we told the shop what tank we had! what will happen with them?

oh, I can't cut the back out of the tank as the glass goes all the way to the lid!

bit concerned about the comments regarding having three ocsars in the tank especially as we told the shop what tank we had! what will happen with them?

oh, I can't cut the back out of the tank as the glass goes all the way to the lid!

Most of the shops people go to seem to be more towards turn over of stock and getting a profit, there are exeptions though. BAS in bolton is v good and gives out decent advice (I have even seen them refuse to sell certain types of fish as the buyer gave tank dimensions and the sales person simply said "Not big enough!").

Had a couple of Juwel's now and all have had the bit out of the back however I've never had one of the corner tanks. Where does your power lead for your current internal filter and heater get into the tank? It there not a 3/4" notch there?

If not, I had to hacksaw my lid to get the 405's pipes in as the notch wasn't big enough to fit them (the ex700 slips in fine). Easy job, took about 2mins. Marked it out, drilled the corners then sawed along the lines. Nice and neat.

OK, been out and bought the EX700, installed it and all's well, drilled holes in the hood for the pipes, i'm running this and the tank filter as well.

Have broke the news to wife that one if not two oscars will have to go, she's not happy!! will start with one and see how it goes, will an aquatics centre buy one off me or will they just take him off my hands?

regards

Dave

The question of wether or not the shop will give you anything may also depend upon their size also...

Most reactions

Back