"Best" Filter Media

OscarRomeoFiveTwo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have been researching different types of bio media for my new APS2000EF (and the existing HOB) and come across this page:

They completed an experiment with different types of media and the results were:

• A typical large canister filled with 30 ppi Poret foam (“sponge”), static K1 media or plastic pot scrubbers will give good ammonia oxidation with 700 five-inch mbuna and crystal clear, healthy water with 35 five-inch mbuna.
  • A typical large canister filled with ceramic rings, lava rocks or BioHome filter media will give good ammonia oxidation with 80 five-inch mbuna and crystal clear, healthy water with 4 five-inch mbuna.
So filling the canister with 30ppi foam is more effective then the traditional expensive bio media.

During looking at media I found that bio home media was always considered the "best" media and however these results say other wise?

Does anyone have any opinions on the "best" media or any other studies on what is to be concerned the best

I am a huge fan of Poret foam from Swiss Tropicals. I have several Hamburg Mattenfilters, many cubefilters and even one tower. The foam is available in 10, 20, 30 and 45 ppi.

The 10 ppi is great for the initial media the water passes through and for pre-filters and tank dividers. I use he 20 ppi for most tanks. I have never used the 45 and have minimal 30 ppi. The 30ppi is great for shrmp and fry tanks or the final media the water passes through. The higher the ppi the faster the media will clog.

I have had three Eheim Pro II canisters running for many years. The first one was set up with the Eheim media- noodles, coarse foam pad, their bio-media and their fine floss pad. The second one used a mix of noodles, coarse pad, AquaCLear sponges cut to fit the basket and thei fine floss pad. I clean these filters twice a year.

However my third canister is filled 100% with 20 ppi foan. No pads coarse or fine, justthe foam. I have had this filter running for about 6 or 7 years and it had needed to be cleaned once so far.

No matter what you decide for media I would reccomend that you read this article on the Swiss Tropicals site: Aquarium Biofiltration

I had a similar thread here…

To kind of parrot what twotankamin was saying I would probably go with 20ppi so it wouldn't clog as quickly. If you wanted to ask the real expert you should contact Stephan at Swisstropicals, he would be able to tell you better.

Sponges are the best type of filter media. They are cheap, lightweight, have lots of spaces for beneficial filter bacteria to live in, trap lots of dirt, are easy to clean and last for years. Don't waste your time with anything else, just get some sponges.

We had a local store long since bankrupt (location, location), but run by a marine biologist and engineer who liked bringing in new things. I bought a large sheet of "Japanese filter mat" and cut it. It was recycled plastic fibre, and has been a superb bio-media. I think it didn't catch on because it was very hard to cut to shape, but it's great stuff. I have never seen it for sale since.
Poret sponge is also fantastic.

Does anyone have any opinions on the "best" media
One issue to consider is the type of filter. Flowing water will take the path of least resistance. A well designed canister filter will use pressure to force the water thru the media and there is no other path available for the water. Poret foam or sponges is a great choice for canister filters.

Using large foam pads on my first sump was a disaster. The foam would collect all that crap and the water would find a new path to take ie: just go over the foam pads. I have the same problem with a Tidal 75 HOB filter, the water will just bypass the filter basket when I tried a large foam pad.

So what is best for a canister may differ for a HOB filter. In your case, I would use the HOB filter for mechanical filtration. On a grow out tank, I have a sponge filter and an ancient Aquaclear filter. I use washable 100 micron felt pads on the Aquaclear, it works great for mechanical filtration and is easy to replace.

Thanks all. After reading the comments and information from else where I went with this.
4 trays in the filter so I went with:

Tray 1 (bottom) . 2 course layers and a medium layer

Tray 2 . 1 Medium layer and fine layer 1 floss (previously in the canister)

Tray 3 . 1 floss and some bio balls(that were previously in the canister)

Tray 4. Ceramic rings (again previously in the canister).

In addition I tried this with the Tidal 55. Course, Medium, fine, Floss then the Biohome on top that was previously in the HOB (more to weigh down the floss)

1000016092.jpg

Most reactions

Back