Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

dipsydoodlenoodle

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I need some “sensible and practical advice”

I was browsing my LFS the other day looking for a new filter (one of mine died), I happened to pass a section with “betta cubes” – I was appalled (first time I’ve physically seen them in the ’flesh’). Anyway in the “larger” one 1.2 litres they have a small female betta…(unheated and un filtered)….

Do I buy her (from the shop I vowed never to buy anything else from) to ‘rescue’ her with the risk that they’ll just put another one in there (they didn’t have any more in stock)? Or do I leave her?

If I leave her well we can all guess at what will happen; or do I take her home and chance putting her in with my sorority (I can’t quarantine her – well I could; however I am going away for a few days and my mam will be looking after them and there is “no chance” of another tank).

The sensible part of me says leave her; the nice part says ‘rescue’ her.

Yes,
Only if you have the space to give her a better place to live.

A lot of people take the stance of "Well, if I do, I will only encourage the store to do so more."

Whilst that is true, I've always found the way of going in there and starting an argument is quite fun.
If you do go back and rescue her.
Ask them to test the water of her "tank", if there's any ammonia that comes up on a test kit, you can threaten prosecution under the Animal Welfare Act and Store Pet License.
It varies from council to council, but the majority dictate that all fish must be kept in conditions of
Ammonia <0.1
Nitrite <0.1

If the ammonia is over that, you can legally threaten to report them to your local council and get their license pulled.

Pop on to your local council website and search for Pet shop license and have a good read.

If you fancy being sneaky, you could ask for the water test on her tank (so you know what water she is in), ask if you can take a picture of the results so you know what bad results are and then report them to the council anyway.

As you might imagine, I'm not liked in LFS around here any more.

I think taking some of the advice from above is a good idea.

I'd rescue the female, but ask them to do a water test infront of you (again make excuses about worries about moving her from tank to tank)

If there is any ammonia or nitrite, inform them that the fish was living in illegal conditions, and that whilst you respect the fact they need to sell stock to make money, illegal is illegal, and you'd appreciate it if the next time you visit the store they aren't keeping them in such poor conditions.

(if they are, then report them, they've been fairly warned)

As you might imagine, I'm not liked in LFS around here any more.

Lol I can imagine.

I'll have a read up on it.

I had planned on going back and seeing if she looked "healthy" and then trying to make a decision based on that.

I personally detest this shop and refuse to buy stuff fro there.....however they have good "hard ware" for the fish lol.

Most reactions

Back