To Paint, Or Not To Paint

Rorie

Fish Herder
Reaction score
When i got my aquarium 2nd hand, it had a sky blue paint on as the background. (photo 1). I decided that this was not looking so great, so took it off and replaced it with a black aquarium background.

The black is much better, no question about it (Photo 2). BUT, it is shiny, and as the aquarium is at the opposite side of the room from the window, the light bounces really badly and creates a lot of reflecting light.

That is where i came up with the idea that maybe painting it would be better?

Who has experience of painting an aquarium? The points i'm looking for are

1) Matt or Gloss
2) If gloss, will i just have the same issue?
3) If matt, will i loose a lot of beneficial light reflecting off it onto my plants?

Do i have any other options?

Is there anything i can paint the front pain of glass with to stop the light bouncing off it so much? I know with photo frames you can get 'anti reflecting glass', but can i make it?
5303_black-2c.jpg

5302_black-1c.jpg

Please consider this stuff

http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/products-Juwel-Structured-Background_CN115033.htm

I have it in both my tanks and looks fantastic, longer its in there the better it looks. Also being black, the fish and plants create such a contrast, these are so much better than the more expensive lighter backgrounds imo :good:

Rorie, I paint mine with FLAT black Krylon (name brand in the US). With it being a matte finish on both sides (the side stuck to the glass and the exposed side) there is zero added shine and it is a deep black. Definitely looks the best outside of 3d backgrounds.

If you are talkign about the flash reflection off a tank when you take a photo, just use a diffused remote flash positioned over the water and use a nice macro lens (kit lenses do ok, but for nice aquarium pictures a true macro lens is infinitely better) and manual focus.

I'm not sure if you know of a photographer named Hristo Hristov, but he takes immaculate photos of aquarium fish. He uses the method I have outlined above.

His username is AQUASAUR at aquatic-photography.com There are many members there who are very very good at taking amazing aquaria photos.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the help.

I looked at those 3d back grounds, but they are not cheap!! Hence i was looking at paint...

I dont mean reflection when taking photos, just reflection from the window in general. Although i am not the best at fish photos....i am getting there :p The above 2 are not good examples, but the one below is hehe And if i had bothered to clean the glass first, the one below it is good too!
date-2.jpg

90l-5.jpg

Personally i wouldn't ever paint an aquarium. If i was having trouble with light reflecting then as shown above check out the Juwel structured backgrounds. They look great.

I just think well what happens when i want too change my background if i have painted it, I cant see how you would get it back too perfect clear glass.

I've often thought about painting the back of a tank but never done it. I know someone who used black bin bags, I have used black card that was laminated from a craft shop. Both worked well.

I found binbags too be too crinkly and reflect too much, I just bought the normal Black on one side Blue on the other aquarium background from an LFS :)

I use the blue/black sheets from the LFS, however, i'm considering getting some Matt Black paint for a permanent job as there are always pockets of water that make it look streaky.

Im not a huge fan of 3d backgrounds, i dont like the idea of it providing hidden pockets of water (behind where you silicone) that can discolour and stain the glass. Not that you see it, but im sure it provides a nice place for small snails and nasty bacteria/fungus that could have negative effects on the water quality. I like to be able to get to every square inch of glass to be able to clean it. Oh, its bloody expensive too. :) Plus i have corys and they like to lay eggs on the glass so i'd rather not disrupt that. :eek:

use an emulsion and as long as the paint on the back of the tank doesn't make contact with water/condensation, it will be fine...if want to get rid of the paint, just use warm water and a bit of elbow grease...works for me.

Paint comes off easy for me with the use of a stanley knife blade! Done it for 5 tanks now.... not easy always (depending on the type of paint) but it always comes off!!

Will look into 3d backgrounds, but i think paint may be the option for me

Hi Rorie, this clip will show you what the background I recommended looks like in one of my tanks. It's about £15 for two large squares which covered the back of my 110 litre and my filter.

Most reactions

Back