Does it matter what type of paint I use on the OUTSIDE of an aquarium?

I have used the acrylic craft paint and foam sponge "brush".
My concern with spraying a tank is not getting anything inside. If you go that route you should tape the top so that nothing accidentally gets inside.

if you use a spray, be sure to cover the top of the aquarium so no paint settles inside
I think we'll get some matte or flat black spray paint and just use that then.
We have a ton of newspapers and we also have painter's tape. I can easily just tape newspapers on the sides and over the top.
I'll most likely lay the tank on its side so I'm able to easily set it up and spray it.

So I want to color the back of my aquarium black with spray paint and wanted to use some black spray paint we have in our garage. If it matters, it's Krylon ColorMaster.
I know it's probably a dumb question considering it's just on the outside and not on the interior at all but I thought it's one of those "better safe than sorry" type of things...
Cover the top with paper, cloth, etc. to prevent overspray, or invert and spray with top down. Probably not an issue, but better safe, than sorry.

-sterling

Cover the top with paper, cloth, etc. to prevent overspray, or invert and spray with top down. Probably not an issue, but better safe, than sorry.

-sterling
So I shouldn't lay the tank on its side then to do it?

So I shouldn't lay the tank on its side then to do it?
As long as no overspray gets inside, the orientation of the tank does not matter.

If you lay the tank on its side, cover the top with paper or cloth and secure (painter's tape?).

Personally, I'd do the same for the sides, so I did not have to clean or scrape afterwards. Using several light coats, rather than a single thick one, will give better results, as well.

They also make several texture paints, that can give interesting results... You won't see the texture, but the color patterns will come through.

As others have mentioned, just make sure it is rated for outdoor use.

1683082211044.png

-sterling

As long as no overspray gets inside, the orientation of the tank does not matter.

If you lay the tank on its side, cover the top with paper or cloth and secure (painter's tape?).

Personally, I'd do the same for the sides, so I did not have to clean or scrape afterwards. Using several light coats, rather than a single thick one, will give better results, as well.

They also make several texture paints, that can give interesting results... You won't see the texture, but the color patterns will come through.

As others have mentioned, just make sure it is rated for outdoor use.

View attachment 317399

-sterling
We have lots of painters tape and plenty of newspapers! So it should be set lol...
And yes I'll be sure to do light coats in layers!

As far as the textured paints go... I probably won't do that. I just want a simple black on the back of my aquarium.

Thank you for taking time to help me! I appreciate it!

I spray painted a 3mm MDF sheet and stand the sheet behind the tank. I had to cut the sheet to size first, but it's quicker that way as my tank was full of fish and water.
Back in the day, I spray painted aluminum foil and crinkled it up for a simulated 3D background--well, it was 3D but behind the tank. I don't see why you couldn't do that without crinkling.

Don't use paint, use plastidip (spray rubber) as it goes on smooth, flat and you can peel it off when you are done. Did my 55 gallon tank and I couldn't be more happy after a year. I used this guy's video to guide me:

At Lowe's now... I think this will work from stuff I've looked at
20230505_141523.jpg

When I painted the back of my 10 gallon tank, I did not do any masking of the tank.
I used a can of flat black latex paint and carefully brushed it on with a foam brush. I gave it two coats. It came out perfect....EZ--PZ.

Latex paint is easy to clean up with just water. And no overspray if you use canned paint and a brush.

When I painted the back of my 10 gallon tank, I did not do any masking of the tank.
I used flat black latex paint and carefully brushed it on with a foam brush. I gave it two coats. It came out perfectly....EZ--PZ.

Latex paint is easy to clean up with just water.
Don't have the money for bucket paint

Most reactions

Back