To Fishless Cycle Or Not?

aaronc

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey All

I was going to approach my new tank with the same approach I have always used... a fishless cycle and then stick most of the bioload in the tank in one hit.

Now, as I wait until I can set up my new tank I have been reading lots and lots online (sometimes a mistake I think) and there seems to be another school of thought.  The silent cycle gang.

They say do away with cycles, whack a whole load of plants into your tank, fast growing stems with at least 75% substrate coverage and start adding fish more or less straight away.

Now I have read hundreds of forum posts about this, some new, some old, etc etc.

But I wanted to come to you guys (and the guys at UKAPS where I have also posted this topic).

How do you cycle your new planted tanks? If you do a planted fishless cycle are you plagued by algae?

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Now just over a week untit I can start assembling my tank :)

Aaron

aaronc said:
Hey All

I was going to approach my new tank with the same approach I have always used... a fishless cycle and then stick most of the bioload in the tank in one hit.

in my opinion this should never be done, doesn't matter if the tank is cycled, if its a new setup fish/bio load should always be added slowly and gradually....in my opinion 2-3 fish every 2 weeks maximum

I agree
Mikey1 said:
Hey All

in my opinion this should never be done, doesn't matter if the tank is cycled, if its a new setup fish/bio load should always be added slowly and gradually....in my opinion 2-3 fish every 2 weeks maximum
I agree with mikey1, also doing the cycle as described by Aaronc with plants. There is no need to dump ammonia Into your fish tank

I think the point of the 'silent' cylce is that the huge plant mass is more than capable of handling the fish waste, even in the absence of a biological filter.

And as plants are more efficient at processing the waste, they get first dibs.

I am just very keen to avoid adding ammonia, as it will probably just end up being a food source for algae.  With plants in the tank, lights will be required, excess light and excess nutrients = algae for sure.

How are you getting on Levahe?  Are you just planting heavily, then adding fish slowly?

Aaron

Just to be clear by the way...

I am only referring to heavily planted tanks here.  I would never (ever) condone a fish in cycle in a bare non planted tank :)

With a fishless cycle, you are adding ammonia at a level far higher than would be produced by the fish, so the bacteria colonies that grow are far greater than are actually necessary. That's what makes it safe to add the total stock in one hit.

Having said that, Aaron, why not seed your filter with some mature media from an existing tank, as well as stuff the tank with plants?

Hey Lock Man :)

I do have some media maturing in another tank at the moment and I will certainly be adding it

Although that in itself raise a question...

Do you add it on day1 when setting up planting the tank (potential lack of food source given there are no fish)
Or do you add on the day you add fish, thus avoiding a potential die back of bacteria

Questions questions ;)

On the day you add the fish.

Yes, I have one established tank, but I have a new one about a month old that has a lot of plants and its doing very well. Its a aquanano 30 and it only has 4 orange shrimp in at the mo. I will be adding more in a couple of weeks or so.

My larger 160l tank I cycled the same way with excellent results. It works well if you keep the livestock to a minimum and gradually add more after a few weeks

aaronc said:
Hey All

Now, as I wait until I can set up my new tank I have been reading lots and lots online (sometimes a mistake I think) and there seems to be another school of thought.  The silent cycle gang.

They say do away with cycles, whack a whole load of plants into your tank, fast growing stems with at least 75% substrate coverage and start adding fish more or less straight away.

Now I have read hundreds of forum posts about this, some new, some old, etc etc.

But I wanted to come to you guys (and the guys at UKAPS where I have also posted this topic).

How do you cycle your new planted tanks? If you do a planted fishless cycle are you plagued by algae?

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Now just over a week untit I can start assembling my tank :)

Aaron
Give this a read:)

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/299827-why-we-should-not-fishless-cycle-planted-tanks/

Hey Slim

I have read that many times.

I think the approach I will probably take is;

- Plant tank fully, crank up CO2
- Let plants settle in and grow for 2-3 weeks.
- After 2-3 weeks add 4 or 5 fish and the mature filter.  Monitor water.
- Wait a week or 2 - add more fish, monitor water.
- Repeat until tank is full

:)

aaronc said:
Hey Slim I have read that many times. I think the approach I will probably take is; - Plant tank fully, crank up CO2- Let plants settle in and grow for 2-3 weeks.- After 2-3 weeks add 4 or 5 fish and the mature filter.  Monitor water.- Wait a week or 2 - add more fish, monitor water.- Repeat until tank is full :)
Yea think you will be absolutely fine doing it this way:)

Most reactions

Back