Time Waisting But Oh So Entertaining

onebto

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hello everyone I hope your well :good:

I thought I would share with you my elation and enjoyment of my first Aquarium and the first 48 hours of its first inhabitants.

Well it all started early November 2008 when I got my first ever Aquarium yep I am a newbie :fun: . Fortunately for me and my fish whilst waiting for my Aquarium to be delivered I found this forum I started reading and consuming a vast education in keeping a tropical fish Aquarium "its not as easy as I first thought". But thanks to a lot of old and new posts on this forum I started a fishless cycle brought myself an API fresh water master test kit a bottle of Ammonia "dam hard to find a lot of counter staff I am sure thought I was a terrorist or something :lol: ". Anyway about 10 days ago all the levels dropped into line and sure enough the tank performed as described.

So on Sunday I went and got 4 zebra Danios , smart little so and so's and an unbelievable amount of energy :hey: I chose them as I have read they are a hardy fish that can deal with new tanks and there water, I do hope I do not make any mistakes with keeping the tank but I am a beginner so I am hopping that they will tolerate any minor indiscretions.

FOUR ! :-( I hear you say ? Don't worry my LFS only had 6 and 2 I did not like the look off so I am getting 2 more on Friday then I will decide what else goes in the Tank from there on in "one is still mindful of not introducing to many fish to Quickly to a new tank" and there is so much choice so I want to take my time :good: to decide. Again "one is mindful of compatibility"

No names for the 4 yet as I have always aloud the character of animals or pets even sometimes humans :blink: around me to decide there name , My fiancée is just happy that I have not called them all DAVE a habit that I caught as a boy by watching a TV comedy show called Only fools and horses if you have seen it you will understand what I am talking about apparently I call everything and everyone Dave according to my fiancée ? :lol: , but to use another program for the time being to give them some individuality the 4 Zebra Danios I will call 1 of 4 2 of 4 3 of 4 and yes 4 of 4 :blink: . :no:
:/

Okay introduced all 4 in the correct manor. Things started slow " I was not surprised " normal service for this species started after half hour when 2 of 4 ventured away from the filter box along with 3 of 4 in close toe and then the other 2 followed well the rest of the day was amazing entertainment as they all mixed it up in a 190 Litre tank " after the tank they come out which was quite small even for 6 of them 15 litres I guess it must of seamed like a palace :good: "

I did not want to go to bed even when the timer shut the lights off :blink: so I looked at the pictures I took off them , here lye's a problem if you think setting up and learning how to do fishless cycling in a new tank for a newbie is hard then try and take a decent picture of fish that act like they are on steroids :hyper: not easy hence no decent pictures yet that's if anyone's interested ? "if you are keep checking in and I will add some" I have read the threads on taking pictures :good: I just need some time and to empty the recycle bin :no: and give it some practise :good: .

My first Day with 4

fed them interesting time feeding time "FRENZY" would be another word I would use, well 2 of 4 is a pig of a fish and 1 of 4 is a little more refined dinning on the food falling to the bottom of the Aquarium but I managed to see all 4 getting something "one was mindful not to put to much in" I have started with flakes and will sort additional treats and variations of the menu in the near future all though I think 2 of 4 is more into quantity not quality :sick: .

For the rest of the day and yes most of the day I spent no further than 5 feet away from the tank nothing different happened except the usual crazy run around so again towards the end of the day 4 got fed again and yes again 2 of 4 showed his or her unbelievable appetite and greediness.

I did do something productive on the first day ....... 2 complete water tests :no: :lol: all is well :good:

Day 2 :shout: do not worry I wont be keeping a log every day just indulge me at being excited at my new hobby :good:

Well day 2 has shown some change in the 4's way off life in there new home , after being fed they settled down to there day 1 of 4 and 2 of 4 seem to be best of friends swimming close to the front of the Tank up and down round and round at brake neck speed 3 of 4 joins in from time to time but while I was waiting for the ammonia test to do its 5 minute cycle I saw 3 of 4 go into one of the wholes in the side of the front half of a sunken galleon I have as the centre peace of my Aquarium "the aft section crowded the Tank" . Anyway 3 of 4 is hovering round the whole to the galleon for a couple of minutes then goes in then exits so fast he would not show up on a Gatso speed camera quickly followed by 4 of 4 :hyper: :grr: :lol: .

4 of 4 has a new pad

To start with I was a little worried "does another set of water check 2 hours after the last to make sure the water is okay" as 4 of 4 was spending a lot of time away from the rest of the gang :( . My worry has been relieved a bit by 4 of 4 every now and again coming out and mixing it up a bit with the others at the standard brake neck speed and also eating okay .

4 of 4 is usually coursed into doing this by 3 of 4 who I personally think is the the brave one and maybe the leader as he or she wanders round the tank in a very sensible manor making sure all is well . So I will keep an eye on how things work out on 4 of 4 's place and habits and share with you if anyone's interested or until admin say the forums server needs a rest :-( from my endless rambling.

Some pictures apologies they are not very good as mentioned earlier I am working on getting them better so here is the tank genral view:

SNC10301.jpg

out of focus but the best so far of the 4 hanging outside 4 of 4's pad

SNC10316.jpg

Thanks for reading regards Ian :good:

Hey Ian

This was a great read. I am so glad you are enjoying your new tank. You have had a long wait but so worth it. Lovely set up too. You must be very proud.

What are you planning next for your tank?

Cindy :)

Very entertaining, thanks for posting.

Your tank is looking good. Hopefully I will be in a similar position in a few weeks now my friend as put himself into gear to get my cabinet made.

Keep us posted on progress.

Dave.

Hey Ian

This was a great read. I am so glad you are enjoying your new tank. You have had a long wait but so worth it. Lovely set up too. You must be very proud.

What are you planning next for your tank?

Cindy :)

I am not sure to be honest Cindy as mentioned there is so much variety even taking compatibility into mind I really want some nice colour in there and that will also please my fiancée but to start I think its definitely 2 more Zebra Danios as I read you should have either 5 or 6 to keep them happy :good:

Thanks everyone for the kind words oh another half hour at the tank tells me 3 of 4 is the biggest of the four definitely has a bigger stomach "even though 2 of 4 is troffing the lions share of the grub" and also 3 of 4 has got the ump about not getting inside the galleon thanks to 4 of 4's security guard habits so 3 of 4 has scratched out the top deck and gets write annoyed when 1 of 4 and 2 of 4 get close :hyper:

Odd thing is that every now and again 3 of 4 and 4 of 4 give it up and come out playing like lunatics with the other two :blink:

By the way anyone got any good read up stuff on Zebra Danios send it my way thanks :good: I have found a bit so far but as Tesco say every little helps

will do Dave L :good: and thanks m8

Regards Ian

Great looking tank! You gotta love those little guys, danios are very under rated - I have them and they always add interest and movement to the tank :good:

Nice to see someone who obviously loves fish and is doing everyhting the right way to look after them properly. Dont expect the fascination to wear off - it gets worse as you get into it more! I started 9 months ago and my nose is still glued to the tank every oportunity I get!! :lol:

Great looking tank! You gotta love those little guys, danios are very under rated - I have them and they always add interest and movement to the tank :good:

Nice to see someone who obviously loves fish and is doing everyhting the right way to look after them properly. Dont expect the fascination to wear off - it gets worse as you get into it more! I started 9 months ago and my nose is still glued to the tank every oportunity I get!! :lol:

Thanks Gilli kind of you to say so be honest I'm just doing things the way I have always been taught to do them "the very best I can"

Getting worse :nod: :lol: I hear you there I already want another Tank as I want to keep this one a community tank but I have absolutely fallen in love with the discus species so towards the end of this year a little wiser and some time to get a plan together to get the wife on board I am going to get a tank for a few discus :good:

I recently got into it too, and my face has been alternately glued to my computer screen for this site and my tank. I recently got my heater to so its been about 10 degrees higher( didnt realize how cold it was), and they are all over the place :D

LOL nose stuck to the Tank this morning and I saw what I think was 3 of 4 taking a dump it was a little reddish tube about 1 to 1 1.5 mm long lol :good: hope that's normal? :blink:

Lol,I love it!Aren't they great?My bf thinks I'm a loony,I've got a chair more or less sitting i front of the tank all the time now :)

LOL nose stuck to the Tank this morning and I saw what I think was 3 of 4 taking a dump it was a little reddish tube about 1 to 1 1.5 mm long lol :good: hope that's normal? :blink:

Hmmm- thats normal if youhave been feeding them blood worms or mosquitto lava - but if you have just been feeding flakes it may be worms which hang out of the anus. Did they pass them or are they still visible?

Hmmm- thats normal if youhave been feeding them blood worms or mosquitto lava - but if you have just been feeding flakes it may be worms which hang out of the anus. Did they pass them or are they still visible?

They passed them I have checked all 4 and none of them have anything hanging out of there under carriage and since i had them SUNDAY i have just been giving them fish flakes.

I may of been a little over zelust on the size i would say 0.5 to 1 mm in length

Well today has been a lot of the same I am glad to say I have seen a lot more of 4 of 4 he or she has been spending a lot more time with the others. :good: I think the others realise that the inside of the galleon is 4's and its pointless poking one's nose into places that are going to get you a serious chasing off if you try

However 2 of 4's insatiable appetite has not diminished :sick:

WOW treats already ! My early trawling through these forums I read that fish do like green peas (as well as other vedge) so I thought I would give it a go defrosted them then took the shells off mashed them up and made little balls then put some in , a tiny bit at a time :hey:

The result is hell Yeah they love them :good:

I managed to keep myself to one set of water tests today :crazy: :lol: all is well :good: However I did start looking at my plants as the 2 red ones have some of there top leaves going green I think my light is not sufficient I have ordered a couple of reflectors that will help to deflect more light down from the tubes but I got a feeling I will have to pump the wattage up and get more powerful tubes oh well .

took a few more pictures but they were pooh still working on that bit.

Hope your all well regards Ian.

What a beautiful tank! I'm jealous! ^_^ You may want to look into Golden Wonder Killifish for the top of your tank when you are getting more fish. They're a beautiful golden color and have funny faces. They're piggies, so a lot of them will take treats right out of your fingers. They're one of my favorite types of fish. :D

Most reactions

Back