Three Legged Cat

Hi All,

Thanks for the posts. He is doing really well he has been up and about tonight, he came downstairs for food and water about an hour ago. He did not like us giving him his medication this morning and we have got to try and do it again soon :S . He seems to be really contented in a strange way, if you know what I mean. He doesnt seem to bothered by it but he knows his leg is missing, if that makes any sense.

I will post a pic of him in an hour or so.

Rich

look forward to seeing his picture rich :) he sounds a real sweetheart :)

great news that he is adjusting well , a few more days and he will be bounding around , bless him .

Sorry to hear this :(

One of our cats got run over a few months ago, he was lying on the front lawn just looking at me. I didn't notice anything wrong with him and left him out there thinking he was just sleeping in the sun. I felt really guilty when my mum decided something was wrong and realized on inspection his front leg was broke and he was suffering from shock.

We took him to the vets and discovered his leg was repairable but he needed some of the muscles in his stomach putting back together... Luckily he pulled through and only has a limp to worry about now

He's still the same loving cat and likes to chase the others around a bit, he relaxes alot more now but when he wants to move- he'll move. The vets say that there is still a chance that he may lose the limp after a few more months but i doubt it, not that it matters as he is still the same loving cat :good:

Goodluck with yours, look forward to the pics :)

Hi All,

Well Misty is coming on leaps and bounds, if you'll pardon the pun. He slept downstairs last night along with his brother. a 6 week old Tabby, called 'Stripes'. They had a bit of a run early on in the evening, but they seem to have reached an understanding between them. He came upstairs this morning and woke my wife by jumping onto the bed and wouldn't leave her alone until she got up and fed him, :D He has his check up this morning so hopefully they will be with him, we certainly are. He seems to be coping very well with it all. Anyway as promised last night here is a photo of his wound just after we picked him up from the vets and got him home.

DSC02153.jpg

The swelling will go down over the next few weeks and it should look much better. It certainly looks beter than what we were expecting.

I will post again later to let you know how he got on at the vets.

Rich

Awww, poor baby. The wound doesn't look bad at all :)

Looks like they did a great neat job :good:

Hope he recovers fully soon !

Hi All,

Misty has just returned from the Vet and they are really pleased with him. We have just got to make sure that he takes his med's. Although they have now given us a syringe so that we can break up his tablets and put them into a water solution and try to squit the solution into his mouth. Hopefully this will work O.k as I havent got much skin left on my hands after the previous attempts, :X He has to go back on the 28th July to have stitches removed.

Will keep you updated on his progress,

Thanks for the support and kind words,

Rich :D

glad to hear misty is doing ok!its really suprising isnt it how fast they learn to cope with out a leg.they just sort of get on with it as if nothings up,dont they!?cats are amazing creatures,so resilient.misty looks really happy & the vets have done a great job.a hint for giving cats tablets...wrap them up as tightly as possible in a big bath towel (wrap it round & round them) so there legs are unable to move.then 1 person hold them whle the other shoves the tablet down there throat.much easier than having your hands torn to shreds,lol!!!
keep us informed of his antics as he starts to heal & gets use to having 3 legs. shaz :D

glad to hear misty is doing ok!its really suprising isnt it how fast they learn to cope with out a leg.they just sort of get on with it as if nothings up,dont they!?cats are amazing creatures,so resilient.misty looks really happy & the vets have done a great job.a hint for giving cats tablets...wrap them up as tightly as possible in a big bath towel (wrap it round & round them) so there legs are unable to move.then 1 person hold them whle the other shoves the tablet down there throat.much easier than having your hands torn to shreds,lol!!!
keep us informed of his antics as he starts to heal & gets use to having 3 legs. shaz :D

Hi Shaz,

We tryed that but I was so scared about squashing him and perhaps rupturing his stitches that I gave up. However my wife has just phoned to say that he has just had his meds in his food, will wonders never cease. :D

Rich

Louise and Bloo, thanks for the compliments. Now if only I could get time to work on it some more there is a lot of new stuff going on. For instance, we had to move in April to a new house and we're expecting in October and haven't had a chance to put any of that on. Anyway, thanks! :blush:

Rich, glad to hear that the kitty is doing so well. I was going to give the towel advice as well but hiding it in the food is much simpler if it works. I think the only problem I've had with Ben losing his leg is that he can no longer scratch his ear and stuff on that side but he still tries. It's so sad to see his phantom leg going and his head's all tilted like he's scratching it but it just doesn't work. I often give him a good ear rub and make sure to check for any fleas or anything on that side since he can't take care of those things himself anymore. Misty lost the same leg as Ben so she might have the same issue.

Louise and Bloo, thanks for the compliments. Now if only I could get time to work on it some more there is a lot of new stuff going on. For instance, we had to move in April to a new house and we're expecting in October and haven't had a chance to put any of that on. Anyway, thanks! :blush:

Rich, glad to hear that the kitty is doing so well. I was going to give the towel advice as well but hiding it in the food is much simpler if it works. I think the only problem I've had with Ben losing his leg is that he can no longer scratch his ear and stuff on that side but he still tries. It's so sad to see his phantom leg going and his head's all tilted like he's scratching it but it just doesn't work. I often give him a good ear rub and make sure to check for any fleas or anything on that side since he can't take care of those things himself anymore. Misty lost the same leg as Ben so she might have the same issue.

Hi,

Thanks for that, I will keep an eye out. Strange but I had not even thought of something like that. He is much better today he is chasing his brother around and they are play fighting again.

Thanks,

Rich

Hi All,

Just an update om ny three legged wonder. He is almost back to his old self now, he is eating fine and putting some of the weight back on that he lost, he seems to be coping with balancing just fine. Yesterday my wife caught him trying to scale our 8' garden fence, not successfully but he wasnt far off. I will post another pic if him as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks again for the support and kind words you offered.

Rich :good:

Most reactions

Back