This forum needs help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
needless to say i dont care how i spell it . im not using this one anymore i use about 5-6 other fourms so yeah it doesnt bother me

Tokis-Phoenix said:
I guess what i am trying to say like many others here, is instead of just ranting about walmart and bragging about saving bettas all the time, try to put more of your energy into making this a more varied section :thumbs: .
Why don't we all call WalMart, or call the District Manager or call 1-800- WALMART and ***** about this stuff? Why don't we call 1-800-PETSMART and do the same thing? Why don't we call the local fish store who keeps their bettas in those NASTY HORRIBLE TEENSY WEENSY little bags until they're sold? Why do some people feel the need to come here and spend time bitching about what other people have posted? I really think some people might want to re-evaluate where their time and effort is being directed if you want to get anywhere in the fight against fish mistreatment.

And if ya don't like what some people do or post about, DON'T CLICK IT.
Just for the record - the last time I checked, this is an open and free forum - you're free to post about whatever you want. I didn't know there were restrictions on what you could post about. If telling people you got a new betta from a nasty place is off limits, you *might* wanna spell that out somewhere so the next time some poor unsuspecting person comes in to share their good deed with y'all they don't get chewed up and spit out.

And quite honestly, I'm pretty surprised at this forum really. Lots of us have worked our tails off trying to inspire others to stand up for the rights of fish everywhere. And it was WORKING. It pisses me off beyond belief that suddenly nobody wants to hear about this stuff anymore.

Well folks - you're getting your wish.

I'm new to Fish Forums... but I was wondering... is it possible to create a new forum under the heading of bettas, that deals solely with betta rescues and petstore fish abuse? That way, people that are interested in rescues and venting about bad retail outlets can still brag about their good deeds, and rant about bad conditions, and other people that just want to chat about bettas in general can still use the main forum without having to hear about all of the rescues and so forth? Just a thought.

BettaMomma said:
And quite honestly, I'm pretty surprised at this forum really. Lots of us have worked our tails off trying to inspire others to stand up for the rights of fish everywhere. And it was WORKING. It pisses me off beyond belief that suddenly nobody wants to hear about this stuff anymore.
i still want to hear about it BM...and i'm still inspired! don't let the select few bring us all down...we all know how great this forum is and how impossible it is to prevent differences in opinion..it's going to happen, so learn to live with eachother's views and we will all be better off...

Well it does seem to have changed since I joined a few months ago. I definitely saw it change a lot towards the end of May and in June, I suspect it being summer has something to do with it. I do know that when I joined, I could easily keep up with the all the threads on a daily basis, and now there's no way, a thread can get bumped to page 2 in a couple hours. I actually think a rescue forum or sub-section wouldn't be a bad idea, as I have a feeling that part of the problem people have with it is there are so many of them and all the threads are scrolling by so fast.

Some threads that have been locked I fully agreed with, especially with the silly name calling and personal attacks. Some threads I didn't really understand why they were locked, such as a petition thread for bettas, which I see as a totally legitimate thing to post on a betta forum, and while the replies may be "pointless," if it gets knocked to page 2 in an hour it won't be able to get the exposure and the signatures that the poster was working towards. That's how I personally see it.

I get the feeling here though that the mods in general are simply getting fed up with the nastiness and the arguing and thus simply begin to moderate with a heavier hand. The unfortunate side effect is it does make folks a bit more nervous about their posts and it gets to have a more and more regulated feel to the forum.

The betta welfare issue has kind of become the "in thing" here to do, a lot of younger members have joined and wanted to jump on that savior bandwagon. It's admirable, yet overwhelming, and some of it as others have mentioned come across more as attention-seeking. Again, unfortunately when this is cracked down on, the people legitimately working on these things pay the price.

I'm normally quiet with my opinions on these things, but decided to go ahead and state my thoughts here this time.

BettaMomma said:
Tokis-Phoenix said:
I guess what i am trying to say like many others here, is instead of just ranting about walmart and bragging about saving bettas all the time, try to put more of your energy into making this a more varied section :thumbs: .
Why don't we all call WalMart, or call the District Manager or call 1-800- WALMART and ***** about this stuff? Why don't we call 1-800-PETSMART and do the same thing? Why don't we call the local fish store who keeps their bettas in those NASTY HORRIBLE TEENSY WEENSY little bags until they're sold? Why do some people feel the need to come here and spend time bitching about what other people have posted? I really think some people might want to re-evaluate where their time and effort is being directed if you want to get anywhere in the fight against fish mistreatment.

And if ya don't like what some people do or post about, DON'T CLICK IT.
Just for the record - the last time I checked, this is an open and free forum - you're free to post about whatever you want. I didn't know there were restrictions on what you could post about. If telling people you got a new betta from a nasty place is off limits, you *might* wanna spell that out somewhere so the next time some poor unsuspecting person comes in to share their good deed with y'all they don't get chewed up and spit out.

Well folks - you're getting your wish.
Its funny how you can twist a whole paragraph into making me a horrible person who is against standing up for the rights of fish and the such like?

I was making a general statement there and i am sure many agree with me that there are too many threads on rescueing bettas and walmart, in no way was i suggesting to ban all walmart or rescue betta threads but i don't think i was unjust in saying that if they did make such a section in the forum for that kind of stuff, there'd be no one here. In fact it may be a good thing if they made a walmart/rescue fish section, then at least people who came here and posted their problems or ideas wouldn't get a truck load of angry abuse at them from fustrated betta protestors. I see more upset newb threads on this forum here in the betta section than anywhere else in the entire forum, if you say there's not a problem here then i wonder why this is so.
I am all for standing up for the rights of fish, but this isn't a greenpeace forum, or at least last time i checked it wasn't. Standing up for animal rights is very important but i wouldn't think i was unjust in noting that it has its fair share of violence and hatred in it.

Part of making this a friendly forum is sitting down with newb's and politly and calmly educating them about fish keeping, but with so many angry fish protestors around here theres a real bad atmosphere towards such a thing.

i don't hang out much here anymore...
well, i still look in on things on a daily basis but always as a "guest" these days, guess the tff habit is still strong. i guess once you've been part of a forum for a while you see the good and the bad, new members make their presence felt and sometimes old members drop away. i know for myself a few of the members who made me originally want to stay have up and gone. guess it's happening to me too. my biggest gripe about being here isn't so much about being in the betta forum but rather tff on a whole. since i only know bettas the rest of this place is full of strangers who you only meet when the topic of tank size comes up, everyone's always got an opinion on that, especially if they don't even own bettas. i sometimes sense a bit of jealousy from the other forum members and mods, don't know why, if it wasn't for the numbers the betta forum pulls in tff would be just another dime-a-dozen, drop-in-the-bucket fish forum. since GT was taken away the opportunity for me to interact with other members outside of betta has been effectively nipped in the bud. people like cian were what made tff great for me. i remember saying i didn't miss GT and while i still don't care that much i realize now that it was my connection to the rest of tff. on a personal level, certain mod's behavior (outside of the betta forum) have driven me to loathing, well, not just mod's but really the whole politics of tff, i hate to say it but sometimes i can almost relate to how smb and aquanut must have felt. it got so bad i didn't want to even leave anything behind with my name on it if i decided to walk for good and took back the IAL essay i had researched and written out in my own words. seeing it getting shuffled around and put into folders neatly out of view made me realize the small print..."what you write here becomes the property of tff", thats why stealth was used on my part. wuv, sorry if you feel pissed by my actions, but know - it was never ever about you. you do need some help in the betta forum though, gadazobe is a mod here? maybe i have felt his (or her) presence here maybe..once in the last year and a half. the betta forum is so big that it needs more than just you wuv since you seem to be busier than you used to be. guess i'm just burned out on all of this, still, i can't totally let go yet thus i "guest" here, kinda lame on my part i guess. so, wuv, if you would like, i'll give you back the essay but you post it in your own name, just add courtesy of bkkgroup underneath the essay and then lock it. i'll lurk for now and maybe try a bit harder to contribute again, although not to "saved a betta" threads or "wal mart" threads. sorry. ;)

heck i didnt join here because of the friendly part heck it wasnt friendly when i joined (i joined over seeing a familiar tailess betta ;) )

Haiku said:
I get the feeling here though that the mods in general are simply getting fed up with the nastiness and the arguing and thus simply begin to moderate with a heavier hand. The unfortunate side effect is it does make folks a bit more nervous about their posts and it gets to have a more and more regulated feel to the forum.
i completely agree.... that is exactly what is going on Haiku...

50 said:
heck i didnt join here because of the friendly part heck it wasnt friendly when i joined (i joined over seeing a familiar tailess betta ;) )
If you didn't join here for the friendly part why are you leaving it because you no longer like the unfriendly and arguementive atmosphere?

I personally couldn't care less for the unfriendlyness of this forum, i've been on much, much more harsher forums than this and if this place became anymore censored than it already is it'd be a kindergarden forum.
What does take my concern though is other members and the fact i do think they are making a very valid point and i want to stick up for that, when i posted in this thread i was taking more than my own feelings on this into consideration- its a growing problem here to say the least.

This forum is great for fish knolege but not much else, the betta section on the other hand has become so bad tempered newb's are now getting more anger directed at them than good fish education.

Tokis-Phoenix said:
I personally couldn't care less for the unfriendlyness of this forum, i've been on much, much more harsher forums than this ...
tell me about it! this is child's play, lol can't we all just be friends? *hugs*

I have found the information on this forum very useful. Because it is made up of unique and individual people, naturally I am not going to agree with 100% of the members--just like anywhere else in my life. I choose to ignore those who I feel are rude or insensitive at times. It's their choice to behave how they do, and it's my choice to ignore them.

You betta lot are nuts :S always whinging and complaining about something.

If you really dont like this place then follow 50,000 tears and go to this better forum (50,000 by the way wont be posting here again) and if you want to stay quit all the flipping moaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back