Thinking Of Starting A Tank Again!

Would leave it alone, no water changes.

You need the nitrite to drop first before adding any more ammonia. 

Yup.  That nitrite must be REALLY high.  

Did you test the nitrite after your 50% water change?   The only thing that makes sense to me that could be stalling this right now is if the nitrite is so far off the chart that it is actually inhibiting the growth you are seeking.  When it is showing 5.0 ppm on the scale, it could be who knows how high.  If its as high as 16ppm, it could stall the cycle.  And even if its not quite that high, its possibly high enough to greatly impede it.

Personally, I'd suggest a diluted test of the nitrite to determine how high it really is.

Hi, yes that was after a 50$ water change. Okay I will test this evening.

Ok then, the issue is likely the nitrite being sky high.  

You might need to do a complete change to lower it before you can proceed.

Omega59 I admire your determination. I would have given up long ago. 

True, quite tenacious... and quite worthy of appreciation.

Sorry haven't been able to do anything as of yet due to work. I'm hoping tomorrow I will have the time .

Did a test using the diluted method it shows Nitrite at 2.0ppm, undiluted is 5.0ppm. This was after a water change 80%. Should i do another change of water?

No, i would not do another water change.

What are the readings for ammonia and nitrate?

omega59 said:
Did a test using the diluted method it shows Nitrite at 2.0ppm, undiluted is 5.0ppm. This was after a water change 80%. Should i do another change of water?

How did you dilute it?  2:1, 5:1, etc.?

It matters and determines the need or non-need for a water change.
If you did an 80% water change and its still at 5.0ppm.... then it was at least 25ppm before the change, which is why the cycle stalled.

Sorry I was working and been tired. I did a 2:1 diluted test with bottled water.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

New update.

Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0.5-1.0
Nitrate 20

I did about 80% water change today. I didn't add Ammonia. I will test in about an hour again.

sorry its 0.50-1.0 Nitrite.

Why cant i edit my posts??

omega59 said:
sorry its 0.50-1.0 Nitrite.

Why cant i edit my posts??

There's a time limit.   I changed it for you.

Most reactions

Back