Thinking Of Starting A Tank Again!

Agreed a water change will help restart things.

Although have to say am a little worried that may not resolve whatever issue it is that actually caused the cycle to stall in the first place....

kH and even gH readings may shed some light on this.

Think will also research a little more into this carribsea substrate that you're using in that tank currently, just in case this contains anything that may affect cycling such as having 'nutrients' for plants which could be ammonia and overdosing on ammonia may cause a cycle to stall/crash, thats just an example but hopefully will find no issues with this substrate.

Ah, think thats your answer as to why you are having issues with your cycling.

Quoted from your link :

"CaribSea's Instant Aquarium in Peace River takes all of the guesswork out of creating a new tank. This line of gravel and sand is water packed with living, water-purifying bacteria, state of the art clarifier, and a complete water conditioner. Starting a new tank will never be easier than with Instant Aquarium, it even reduces nitrates and nitrites! All you need after this is tap water!
  • Peace River Substrate Size 1 - 2mm
  • Instant Aquarium will immediately begin the cycling process to discourage nuisance algae
  • Also detoxify metals, eliminate ammonia, neutralize chlorine and chloramine, and provide a protective coating to protect stressed out fish"

In fact it may even be cycled now but I am a bit doubtful.

To be honest I am glad to have found the answer as to why your cycle was stalling but how to remedy this?

Two options spring to mind, both may not be to your liking.

One, wait it out for however long it takes for this substrate to be more inert / until it stops interfering with the bacterias you need for cycling, this may take a few more weeks or possibly months.

Second option, swap over the substrate for inert gravel/sand
confused.gif

Thats my opinion, I could be wrong of course about this, so I would wait until perhaps Eagles, who is much more science minded than I am for sure, inputs an opinion as well.

Wouldn't that sand be the same as adding something like safe start that accelerates the cycle rather than stalling it? 

Not really, says it eliminates ammonia, reduces nitrite and conditions the water which in affect makes it harder to cycle the tank satisfactorily.

Bacterias needs the ammonia and nitrite to feed on and colonise.

Otherwise if ammonia and nitrite is eliminated then bacteria cannot survive for long hence the stalled cycles. Imo.

Hmm maybe it's not the correct one but it looks like that. My substrate didn't have water in it, it was dry.

Oh okay. So the safe start is just the bacteria and not the ammonia/nitrite remover. 

Correct, Tetra Safe Start and Dr Tim's Live Nitrfying Bacteria (basically the same product) are bottled bacteria that contains the strains of bacterias needed to cycle your tank.

These should not contain any ammonia or nitrite remover since thats the point of having these bacterias......

(Other brands of bottled bacteria that I've seen tend to have the wrong types of bacteria)

Ch4 found some interesting information on that substrate, but were it cycled, then there wouldn't be a reading of 5+ppm nitrite.  And if there were a viable ammonia/nitrite remover working, it wouldn't provide a reading for nitrite either.  

One possibility is that whatever may be in the tank may be messing with the test, but it didn't cause a nitrite reading early, just recently.  

Should I start over, this is frustrating

I'd do a complete change and dose back to 1 ppm.  See what happens.  If Ch4 is right, you may be cycled.  

i did a 50% change added dechlorinator betta plus, i will test and add ammonia again.

Ch4rlie said:
hmm, what is concerning me is there is no nitrate....
My 2 foot tank is always zero for ammonia nitrites and nitrates and its been re set up for about a year. 

I had the water tested at 2 LFS and did it at home with the same result, all zero.

Okay, I forgot to readd the ammonia drops and had to go out for a bit. I just added some will test tomorrow evening.

Okay the results are showing..
Do i add some more Ammonia or water change again 50%?

Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 5.0
Nitrate 10

Most reactions

Back