The Upgrade Has Landed!

I want this tank :( can't find one second hand anywhere :( you planning an upgrade anytime soon? :ninja:

Theres occasionally one going cheapish secondhand on UR.

I want this tank :( can't find one second hand anywhere :( you planning an upgrade anytime soon? :ninja:

:lol:

If it were up to me I'd have a 10fter on the wall, rip the radiator off and steal the understairs area for a sump room! One day :)

Been waiting for the chap selling the trachy to let me know about collection, heard from him today so should be picking it up this week.

The tank has been ticking over nicely, fish are feeding very well. My yellow tang is getting fat :wub:

I was at the LFS today having a mooch and I met a local reefer who has a 1000l system. Had a chat with him about how he runs a system and I'm going to be trying a few of his suggestions. The first involves putting a powerhead in my cheato chamber to get it tumbling, so I'll be using the New wave 1000 from my nano for this duty. Looking at perhaps using an LED growboard over it as it only uses 5w.

Hoping to get this done tomorrow after work.

Picked up some of those reef pellets today to see how the fish respond, as currently the only fish taking the paste are the clowns and the cleaner. I tried putting some on my LR to encourage grazing - my hermits have never moved so quick :lol:
-
I also got a squeezy bottle with a funky dispenser on to feed frozen with - I thaw two cubes of frozen in a small net and rinse with RO, the half fill the bottle with tank water. Then add the food to water and shake it up, and squeeze to feed. Really useful as I can now feed little and often.

I'll get some pics up soon :good:

That trachy is the same kind as mine :) real nice specimen.

Bit of a long update this one :)

Found lots of scypha sponges in my sump - apparently a sign of a maturing tank?

IMAG0313.jpg

The fish are doing well, the foxface and yellow tang are almost inseparable now :D

IMAG0295.jpg

IMAG0301.jpg

IMAG0291.jpg

The tang is still the boss of the tank however :lol: love him to bits.

The cleaner wrasse is doing very well, eats everything that can fit in his mouth, and eats Nori from the clip!

IMAG0278.jpg

The hermits are characters too, found one destroying my neomeris algae

IMAG0290.jpg

And one who thinks he's a pistol shrimp?

IMAG0276.jpg

:lol:

Noticing lots of coral growth, the green mushrooms are taking off

IMAG0322.jpg

These purples were hitch hikers on my LR

IMAG0325.jpg

The hammer is getting bigger, I can see new polyps forming :good:

IMAG0320.jpg

The galaxia seems really happy too

IMAG0321.jpg

And the Trachy I picked up tonight from a local reefer closing down his tank

When added

IMAG0318.jpg

And after 30 mins, not seen it fully expanded yet as the lights went off about an hour after I added it

IMAG0327.jpg

:wub:

Also, I've got lots of a nice greeny/yellow sponge growing on my LR

IMAG0326.jpg

- plenty of food for this little bloater!!!

IMAG0307.jpg

IMAG0306.jpg

An Eibl angel :good:

I wasn't planning on adding more stock yet, but the system is handling the bio load with ease, and she is so different to the usual flame/coral beauty B-) A local reefer had her in a tank which she out grew and he moved her on, she makes good use of the length in her new home so I hope she will behave herself for me in return :lol: Fine so far :good:

Going to concentrate on coral for a while now. I sold my nano in a cash + frags deal so I've got a few various SPS coming on Saturday. When I get paid again I'll be picking up some test kits to monitor calcium etc. and look to begin a dosing regime - need to read up on calcium reactors or stuff like balling/zeo etc.

This hobby doesn't half drag you in! :good: :lol:

Well I guess I spoke too soon :(

I am on a late shift today so came down about half nine to have a quick check of the tank before leaving for work. The trachy was quite small, which I assumed was due to the lights being off.

The angel kept coming towards it, and looked as though he was considering having a nibble - he left, done a lap of the tank, came back and had a nip at it!

As I was going out I put the coral in an acrylic breeding box, and had a look for damage. There is a tiny dark mark on the edge and on the centre section, but no skeleton showing (luckily) - I've managed to get a fish trap from my LFS so no guessing what I'm doing when I get home!!

My first mistake, but hopefully not too disastrous :)

Simon

From what I've read, it's a risk with some of the Angelfish. Shame, the Eibl is a beautiful fish.

Otherwise, the tank is looking very lovely Stampos. Great work. Now relax, sit back, and enjoy. :good:

Thanks Liz :)

The angel has been caught! The trap was in the tank less than 12hrs too :good:

Now she's there I feel a bit sorry for her as she is a lovely fish, but I want a reef tank so I know its for the greater good :)

The tank is coming along very nicely. :)

Shame about the angelfish as he was a stunner. B-)

Cheers bud :)

A shame but a necessity! My candycanes and trachy are fully opening now, guess she was nipping more than I thought. No harm done though.

My new frags arrive in the morning :D Not entirely sure what I will get, but I've seen a superman monti in his tank..........:lol:

Here's how I got the angel out, notice the cunning use of an upside down breeder box to protect the trachy :lol:

IMAG0329.jpg

The corals are much happier, in less than 24hrs they have perked up dramatically

Before

IMAG0331.jpg

After

IMAG0339.jpg

Before

IMAG0327.jpg

After :good:

IMAG0336.jpg

I fed some frozen earlier and saw the feeding response

IMAG0351.jpg

Going to make a feeder using a plastic bottle top and a length of hose so I can target feed him without fear of hermits/fish stealing his dinner :)

As the breeder box was so big I had to move some LR slightly to fit it, I turned my GSP rock round and found this

IMAG0340.jpg

Nice growth!

And this morning the guy buying my nano arrived with these

IMAG0343.jpg

Purple stylophora

IMAG0352.jpg

IMAG0358.jpg

IMAG0360.jpg

IMAG0359.jpg

Not sure about this one, I think it's a seriatopora?

IMAG0357.jpg

And this is a blue tip acro I believe?

IMAG0365.jpg

Have more frags with milliput bases curing on the sand, will look to place these once I see some polyp extension from them.

IMAG0364.jpg

Pretty chuffed all in all.

Most reactions

Back