Tetra swimming weirdly

jonnyc88

Fishaholic
Reaction score
One of the neon tetras seem to have a bloated belly and is swimming weirdly. His head keeps pointing upwards.

I’ve quarantined him for now but wondering what’s wrong with him.

I’m going to test water parameters soon but it was normal when tested yesterday.

A bit distressed as this is the first issue I have with the fishes :(

Is it a female or male? if your not sure a female is curved.
It’s curved back so it’s female I guess.
A few in the tank have curved spine so I thought there are issues with them too.
Is she pregnant?

It’s curved back so it’s female I guess.
A few in the tank have curved spine so I thought there are issues with them too.
Is she pregnant?
Usually when they get big and curved it's pregnancy plus her head may be up because of getting heavier than usual, when they have dropsy or swim bladder trouble the head faces down.

She’s not moving much in the quarantine tank. Just sits there. When she does swim her head points upwards, looks weird.

She swims in the main tank but in the temp tank she just sits there. Should I put her back?
Temp tank is just a plastic box with tank water ...

A387A73F-A210-4EC4-AEE3-36D684DDCA40.jpeg

She’s not moving much in the quarantine tank. Just sits there. When she does swim her head points upwards, looks weird.

She swims in the main tank but in the temp tank she just sits there. Should I put her back?
Temp tank is just a plastic box with tank water ...

View attachment 114133
My black neons sometimes swim slightly on the slant it's their way of support, she looks pregnant to me plus fins and body look healthy.

If she’s pregnant should I put her back in the main tank? Temp tank is just a plastic box with tank water ... she is just lying on the floor.

How long does the pregnancy last?

so worried :(

If she’s pregnant should I put her back in the main tank? Temp tank is just a plastic box with tank water ... she is just lying on the floor.

How long does the pregnancy last?

so worried :(
All i can say is i would put her on her own because young fry can be eaten by other fish, this link will help you as i've never bred neons sorry but more members can help more.

Thanks. Not really planning on breeding as tank pretty crowded. I want to ensure she’s comfortable though.

Thanks. Not really planning on breeding as tank pretty crowded. I want to ensure she’s comfortable though.
Yes you want to make her comfortable as you don't want to lose her she looks healthy to me, i've had neons in the past but just have black neon tetra now (Males) :)

Iv had 1 glolight with head up and can swim normal, looks heathy, maybe fatter for weeks now. Thought it had some disorder but minor as looks ok and is thriving it seems ?

It is very possible that she is pregnant.

This is a good guide: https://www.aquariumnexus.com/pregnant-neon-tetra/

(Didn’t mean to take away from you @Tez_20, that’s just the guide I have been using. ;))

@Colin_T gave me some advice before, on breeding Neon Tetras, but I have lost it. It may take me a while to dig it up.

It is very possible that she is pregnant.

This is a good guide: https://www.aquariumnexus.com/pregnant-neon-tetra/

(Didn’t mean to take away from you @Tez_20, that’s just the guide I have been using. ;))

@Colin_T gave me some advice before, on breeding Neon Tetras, but I have lost it. It may take me a while to dig it up.
Thanks. To be honest I wasn’t planning to breed them and a bit surprised that she is pregnant so quickly, despite the recent challenges I had with water parameters.

I put some plants in the temporary tank and she’s bit happy now. Tried to feed tiny amount of flakes but not interested. Got a battery air stone from Amazon arriving tomorrow to give some aeration.

From the article looks like she scatters the eggs, waiting to be fertilised by males. If she lays the eggs in the temp tank the eggs won’t be fertilised so I can put her back in main tank after.

Most reactions

Back