Testing Skimmer

Oh I wasn't being nasty or anything lol! I just am not as keen on it and there is so much stigma about it that they are taking over as people want one just because 'its the iphone ooooooo!'
I used my mates and just got annoyed with it. And think it is seriously overpriced! Takes the P*** all the good apps are only on iphone though!

I know you wasn't being nasty :)

You are right, they are overpriced but mine cost me nothing and was a contract upgrade. Couldn't be without it now personally :lol:

All I see is having to pay for it with a contract of sky high rates! Ridic if you ask me :D

Mine was a contract upgrade. £25 p/m on a 2 year contract. Loads of minutes, loads of txts and free Internet. Bargain considering the phones are around the £800 mark.

I won't, ever! haha! Unless its a freebie! :D

Going to try the skimmer when I am home, whack more silicone on it too haha!
Would it be ok to add white vinegar to the RO and run that through the skimmer for an hour to clean it real good? (its 2nd hand)

I won't, ever! haha! Unless its a freebie! :D

Going to try the skimmer when I am home, whack more silicone on it too haha!
Would it be ok to add white vinegar to the RO and run that through the skimmer for an hour to clean it real good? (its 2nd hand)

You'd have to flush it out with plenty of plain RO afterwards to remove any trace of it.

I also wouldn't rely on the silicone to seal and if it's already on the skimmer, it may react with the vinegar and lose it's cohesion.

Thank you, I will give the vinegar a miss then! I am running the skimmer atm and will secure the hole another time when it is dry lol. How will I know it is working properly? The water is coming up to the top of the main body but not into the cup at the top?

is ct1 reef safe ? Super glue is used a lot in marine tanks but not sure if thats viable with skimmer material / position of crack.

Thank you, I will give the vinegar a miss then! I am running the skimmer atm and will secure the hole another time when it is dry lol. How will I know it is working properly? The water is coming up to the top of the main body but not into the cup at the top?

Just sounds like the flow rate needs adjusting or the height of the skimmer cup if can be adjusted.

is ct1 reef safe ? Super glue is used a lot in marine tanks but not sure if thats viable with skimmer material / position of crack.

CT-1 isn't an aquatic product so they wouldn't have allowed for that. all I do know tho is once it hardens then that's it. It stays hard and can repel alot of chemicals that come into contact with it. It's like steel when it hardens.

A tiny bit on the side of a skimmer isn't gonna make that much difference either way tho IMO.

Sooooo how do I sort it haha! It is a turboflotor multi sl 1000 with OR 2500lph
Any ideas? haha Im useless! :D

You prob missed my original post about there being a crack in one of the tubes, which I thought I had fixed. Evidentially wen I came to try it there is still a leaky hole and as it going outside my sump I need tit waterproof!
Its very annoying as I think I am going to need to buy another skimmer! Which I can’t really afford to as all my money is spoken for on LR haha!
could you not get a pvc tube and just replace it......... just an idea

Well I was looking at it this weekend, the tube is once fixed rather well to the body of the skimmer, the crack runs down the pipe, right along the join then back upwards at the back of the tube and I can't get my finger in there to silicone it. So this skimmer is only fit for running in the sump! Trying to find something so I can pull the sump through the edge of the cabinet and rest on something the same height! It just gets harder!

There was I finally having had some sleep and trying to catch up on what I've missed and I see this post about a skimmer and wonder why there are so many replies. Then I see it turned into the Woody and Weaz chat room. Earlier I was also wondering how you both had so many posts............having read this all my questions are answered :D

Nice to see your live rock finally getting sorted, also be aware you may have some issues with the skimmer to start with, both my Deltecs took a week or two to settle down. With the tap open they were just flooding, had to run them for a while with the air taps 3/4 closed until it all sorted itself. Also don't remember it being mentioned but RO wont bubble but as Woody says you can check levels etc, although it might still go mental and need adjusting once you're pumping salt through it.

Most reactions

Back