Testing Kits

scoobydoo20

Reaction score
I heard about the API kit and I have found on on Petco's website. I'm wondering is this the same kit that everyone else uses?

http://www.petco.com/product/103685/Aquarium-Pharmaceuticals-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit.aspx?CoreCat=MM_FishSupplies_TestingEquipment

What other water conditioners etc will I need? Since I want to start looking at them. Thanks :)

That's the one! :good:

As for a good dechlorinator, Seachem Prime does the trick. :)

I bet it's hard. Sometimes I can't find what I need at the pet store. Whenever my mom and I go out of town for the day. We usually stop at the Petcos and Petsmarts before coming back home. Since we don't have either one :|

But I have come up with a small list for now and I'm wondering if I'm missing anything

API Test Kit
CaribSea Super Naturals Moonlight Sand Premium Aquarium Substrate 5 lbs
Seachem Prime

I still have to get yet:

Plants (live)
Water filter (probably and internal Fluval)
Of course the fishies
Some decor

In australia i just bought a seachem pack for my new aquarium.its called headstart and has prime, stability (to prevent new tank syndrome) and clarity (clears the water) seems to be the go so far and is certainly helping with the cycle.
if you get impatient and cant wait to do the whole fishless cycle thing, then stability is a must!!

Scooby, with an API kit and that bottle of Prime, you are off to a great start to your planning, actually far beyond what must happen to thousands of people who walk out of pet shops about to go and possibly kill their first tank of fish, lol!

CaribSea is a distributor of crushed coral and various products that get used in the salt side of the hobby (and fresh) which leads me to wonder whether the product you are looking at might be one that raises mineral content tand pH. I totally don't know, so hopefully some other member might or indeed the shop owner might. It's just a caution as you of course don't want a substrate that's acting as a major chemical on your water without you knowing it! Again, most likely it's just fine.. it's just a question on my part.

To me, plants and fish are the icing on the cake. They are the big reward that comes to the beginner weeks or months down the road after the "blood, sweat and tears" of learning the core skill of how to deal with biofilters and understand them hands-on! Putting plants and fish in a tank less than a month or two old is, to me, kind of "non-hobby" almost because it kind of moves the mental attention in on the reward and takes it away from a focus on learning the core skills that will be useful for a lifetime in the hobby. I mean, you can learn them later but I just have this feeling that "right off" is the best time.

I don't of course mean that I don't love plants and fish, in fact they are ultimately the huge focus. But it's a focus that lasts for years (many plants and fish will live comfortably and healthily in your tanks for years on end) and stays the same day after day, month after month. The first 4 to 6 weeks or so are totally different.. often the only real chance you get to really focus in on the arcane story of the chemolithoautotrophic little fellows that are so much your invisible magic friend through all these coming years! That is why I so much like seeing beginners take on the fishless cycle learning!

Gosh, I'm really on about it today, sigh! :lol:

~~waterdrop~~

Awesome :) I'm just so anxious to get the cycling started lol. I'll look into another gravel/substrate since I don't want headaches trying to balance it out lol if it happen to raise pH.

Most reactions

Back