Which master test kit?

Deeznuts

Reaction score
Hi guys, Iā€™m looking for a reliable chemical water testing master kit for the tropical tank.

Firstly, NTLABS or API?? As Iā€™m in the U.K. I imagine the options are limitedā€¦

Secondly, can I use the same kit to test my pond water and cold water tank, too?

This might be a silly question but I know API sells a pond kit and I donā€™t see how it could differ from the regular kit other than the recommended levels on their charts being different to the tropical tank.

IMG_0905.jpeg

IMG_0904.jpeg

I was considering the kit that measured CO2 but it's not something I'm that concerned with and not prepared to go down the line of using CO2 just yet.

Thank you

NT looks good. It's not a brand I've seen here.

The API kit is second rate as it doesn't measure GH and KH, and that makes you have to buy add on kits for those essential measurements. While its testing is incomplete, you have 800 tests with it, which may make the add on test stuff worthwhile though.

Once you have gone through cycling, you probably won't use the kits a lot, so 800 may be overkill. If you do regular, scheduled water changes, the kits become dust collectors. With regular preventative maintenance, the testing becomes unnecessary. If you plan to cut corners on water changes, then you may need them.

You need the GH and KH because your water decides what groups of fish you should be looking at, and you may have seasonal variations, or even a future curiosity about breeding fish.

Price matters...

NT looks good. It's not a brand I've seen here.

The API kit is second rate as it doesn't measure GH and KH, and that makes you have to buy add on kits for those essential measurements. While its testing is incomplete, you have 800 tests with it, which may make the add on test stuff worthwhile though.

Once you have gone through cycling, you probably won't use the kits a lot, so 800 may be overkill. If you do regular, scheduled water changes, the kits become dust collectors. With regular preventative maintenance, the testing becomes unnecessary. If you plan to cut corners on water changes, then you may need them.

You need the GH and KH because your water decides what groups of fish you should be looking at, and you may have seasonal variations, or even a future curiosity about breeding fish.

Price matters...
Yeah, thatā€™s something Iā€™d noticed when looking at the API. I thought huh, whereā€™s the GH and KH?

Itā€™s more for peace of mind for my parents. So, I said Iā€™d buy them the kit. Also, I got a good deal for Ā£25.

At least now, when stocking in the near future, I will have a better idea of which fish I should choose.

The API kit with the additional GK and KH cost about Ā£42!

I think the NTLabs is a good choice. They're a highly recognised established brand in the U.K.

Thanks for the advice

Be aware I am of the no test kit heresy - and others use these kits religiously. I have very soft tap water and a pH in the 6.5 to 6.8 range, so I deal with less toxic ammonium. I also change 30% of the water every week and don't overstock.

I you get further response from the chemist type aquarists, have a look. API is THE test kit brand in North America, and I haven't seen much competition.

For GH, look on your water company's website - or that of your parents. There's usually a page for water quality reports and hardness - GH - is in that section. Many water companies ask you to enter a postcode to access the info. If you find the hardness, the words they use make the water sound harder that it really is. You need a number and the unit of measurement - there are around half a dozen different units they could use. If they also give "alkalinity", that's what water companies call KH, though not many companies list this. However, it is the least important of the three (GH, KH and pH) as it doesn't affect fish directly. It stabilises pH - when KH is high it's very difficult to change pH; when KH is low it is easy to change pH.

image.jpg

My favorite test kit are these. They test more things than the API kit and you donā€™t have to mess with vials. Mine is a 25-pack but Iā€™ve seen a 100-pack for sale I believe. Once youā€™re cycled and your parameters are stable you really only need to test every now and then.

Last edited:
They do Nitrite, Nitrate, GH, chlorine, KH, and pH (thereā€™s a separate bottle of strips for Ammonia because they need to sit in the water for longer)

I can vouch for the API ones but also recently got some NT Labs gH and kH at a much more reasonable price! They both have a good rep so I think it's mainly down to price/preference tbh.

I have the NT Labs kit myself and found it quite good and reasonable on price.
As a mini bonus it came with stickers for the test tubes the box acts as a stand to hold them in whilst you test.

Most reactions

Back