Tap water has Nitrites, should I add a filter to my sink?

Mustangfreak

Reaction score
So my tap water from the city main has 5ppm (or more) of Nitrites. Yes, Nitrites, not Nitrate(these come in at 20 ppm). If I added a PUR (or any other recommended brand) filter to my kitchen faucet, would this safely remove the nitrites? I'm currently having to use store bought spring water to perform water changes on 4 tanks, I'm tired of this! :lol::lol:

Wow!
Water standards certainly do differ around this great big world of ours!
Have you tested your tap water again, after adding a water conditioner? Does that make any difference?

Can't offer much for removing nitrite from tap water apart from putting the water in a container with floating plants and let them use it. Then using the water for the fish tank.

You should contact your water supply company and tell them there is nitrite in the water. Nitrites are poisonous to all animals and cause cancer if regularly ingested or ingested in large amounts. If the water company doesn't care, contact the press and government because water should be free of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, even if it isn't in some parts of the world.

Was the tap water tested using liquid or strip testing? Liquid is apparently more accurate.

Can't offer much for removing nitrite from tap water apart from putting the water in a container with floating plants and let them use it. Then using the water for the fish tank.

You should contact your water supply company and tell them there is nitrite in the water. Nitrites are poisonous to all animals and cause cancer if regularly ingested or ingested in large amounts. If the water company doesn't care, contact the press and government because water should be free of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, even if it isn't in some parts of the world.
Ah...another shout out for Ye Olde and Ancients Ways of acquiring 'Matured' water...often in a water butt, out in the garden. ;)

How long does that process usually take? I don't even know if I have room for another tank lol, but any excuse for another right??? lol.

I'll get in contact with my water supplier. We don't drink the tap water thankfully, instead from the fridge's dispensor which is filtered. So I tested that water, and no nitrites present thankfully. So does this mean my idea may work?

How long does that process usually take? I don't even know if I have room for another tank lol, but any excuse for another right??? lol.

I'll get in contact with my water supplier. We don't drink the tap water thankfully, instead from the fridge's dispensor which is filtered. So I tested that water, and no nitrites present thankfully. So does this mean my idea may work?
Do you have an outside space? A yard, perhaps? Room for a large, open plastic barrel?

Wow!
Water standards certainly do differ around this great big world of ours!
Have you tested your tap water again, after adding a water conditioner? Does that make any difference?
Alright so I filled up a gallon jug with tap water, put two drops of Prime from a pipette into the jug and shook it real good. Took a test right away thinking I wouldn't see any drop from 5+ppg, and the dang thing is already sky blue!!! Immediately. Wow, I read it was instant basically at eliminating chlorine, but didn't think it would be that quick to react with Nitrites.

Do you have an outside space? A yard, perhaps? Room for a large, open plastic barrel?
Yeah I think I could get away with putting one in the backyard, but I do have a lot of shade from the one huge tree, and its a small backyard. Would this be an issue for the plants?

If you have lots of floating plants, they can remove ammonia, nitrite and nitrate from water in a few days. Fewer plants will take longer.

---------------------
No idea. I know there are substances that remove nitrates from water (nitrasorb, etc), but I don't know of anything that can be used as a physical filter to remove nitrite from water. In aquariums bacteria or plants remove it.

If you have lots of floating plants, they can remove ammonia, nitrite and nitrate from water in a few days. Fewer plants will take longer.

---------------------

No idea. I know there are substances that remove nitrates from water (nitrasorb, etc), but I don't know of anything that can be used as a physical filter to remove nitrite from water. In aquariums bacteria or plants remove it.
Hmmm, could my kitchen faucet have something in it that would be causing nitrites then? Because if a filter wouldn't remove it (I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't), that would lead me to think its coming from the kitchen faucet.

Yeah I think I could get away with putting one in the backyard, but I do have a lot of shade from the one huge tree, and its a small backyard. Would this be an issue for the plants?
Back in the Olden Days, when it were all trees round here, etc., people would keep a large open-topped barrel or tub, to collect rainwater for the garden. Fishkeepers learned that this water was actually mature and suitable for their aquariums, when heavily chlorinated water from their taps was not. (Life before water conditioners, remember). Such tubs didn't have plants and it was the simple process of leaving the water to sit awhile that removed the unhealthy (for fish) elements to dissipate.

Hmmm, could my kitchen faucet have something in it that would be causing nitrites then? Because if a filter wouldn't remove it (I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't), that would lead me to think its coming from the kitchen faucet.
Nope, the taps and pipework won't be creating the nitrite. It is in the water that is coming from the water company. In the UK they have nitrate in a lot of their tap water. Some places have low levels of ammonia from the chloramine they add to it. This is the first time I have heard of nitrite in tap water.

Most reactions

Back