Change of filter media to all foam has affected nitrates unexpectedly !!!

And now for some science. Start with the bio-film in which the bacteria lives. Brar in mind we are now operating on the microscopic level. Research knows where in the microfilm the differet strains of microrganisms are arrayed. The amonnia ones are closes to the surface of the film than the nitrite ones. So as the ammonia is converted to nitrite the next part of the journey of the water though the film will encounter the nitrite bacteria.

There are more than the nitrifying bacteria living in the bio-film. One of the other microorganisms present are called facultative bacteria. They are able to thrive in both aerobic and anaerobic condition. When oxygen is available in the water, the use that. But, if there is no oxygen in the water, they operate in a different manner and they use nitrate.

All of us have some number of these facultative bacteria in the bio-films in our tanks and filters. However, there are not enough of these in the biofilm to make a serious difference in the nitrate levels. However, withing the bio-media is is opossible for more of the facultative bacteria to colonize. And this is where foam matters.

As water pasees through foam there are a lot of potential passageways water can take to hoth through it. Yhe more porous the foam the more potential pathways. What happens within the media itself is that there will be pathways where the other bacteria use up all of the oxygen. And in such case the facultative bacteria gets water with no oxygen but which does contain nitrate. There are a lof of places within the foam where there can be a lot more of the facultative bacteria than in a small amount in a bio-film.

Given a decent amount of foam in one's filtration, especially if it is akin to the Poret foam which is more quality controlled form of foam. It is semi-rigid which helps keep the potential passageway though the foam passable and it provides a lot more surface area for biofilm to be. On the other hand, bio-media which is like gravel does not have as many passageways though it as foam can.

Next, there are microorgganisms which eat organic matter. In foam they have some time to do this as the water is inside a block of foam longer than a piece of ceramic etc.

Here is how I have actually seen all of this at work. A hamburg Mattenfilter is a massive piece of foam which acts as ones filter. In my 33 gal. long tanks I filter them using a piece of foam which goes from the bottom of the tank to above the surface of the water. It also touches both the front and back glass. It is 3 inches thick. Basically, the piece of foam hosting the bacteria etc. is about 13x12x3 inches which means it's volume is 468 cubic inches. All water goes through the foam none goes around it.

Now I could use the biggest AquaClear hang-on (500 gph 110) and fill it with two of the AC foams for it. These measure 9.75x3.5x3.5 = 119.44 cubic inches and two would 238.88 cubic inches. Hagen states that "The AquaClear 110 Power Filter is ideal for 60- to 110-gallon (227 to 416 L) aquariums." But this filter has barely1/2 of the volume of the Poret and is is not semi-rigid and doesn't come in a variety of pore sizes. The Poret has more pore space than the AC sponges.

The bisgges misinformation in the harware side of our tanks is that for filters. It is important to understand that the filter itself does not filter anything, what is does is to move water. It is the media inside a filter which matters. And it is not the media (for the most part) which filters. What actually filters our water are the microorganisms which will colonize the media.

And for this reason filters which have more more media volume combined with it's porosity which determines what sorts of filtration might be done. I learned soon after switching to Poret foam for my sponge filters and installing several Mattenfilters that the water in the tanks with the Mattenfilters was very clear I could hold a quarter on the back glass of a 33L and read the date through the front glass, the water and the back glass.

I tried this after I had posted picture of one of my set-ups which used a Mattenfilter and had somebody reply asking how the heck I got my water so clear. I also realized I no longer need to test for nitrates in such tanks as it was always low.And, I do 50%+ water changes weekly and have for over 23 years. Only rare illness or weekend away causes me to miss a week.

What caused me to switch so many of my tanks to using Poret foam and Mattenfilters and Poret cubefilters was reading this article. I also have to admit that my conversations with Dr. Tanner regarding the bacteria v.s. the Archaea was what introduced me to all of this. Most importantly to my understanding of how filtration actually works was this article on Dr. Tanner's site:
http://www.swisstropicals.com/library/aquarium-biofiltration/

One thing I want to make clear. While I use Poret and buy from Swiss Tropicals, there is other similar type foam made by other manufacturers. I chose to buy from Swiss Tropicals, but this is not the only place for this ype of foam foam. So I am not suggesting you shop there, only that you can learn from there. But, if you do want Poret, Dr. Tanner has the exclusive right to sell it in the USA.

One thing I want to make clear. While I use Poret and buy from Swiss Tropicals, there is other similar type foam made by other manufacturers. I chose to buy from Swiss Tropicals, but this is not the only place for this ype of foam foam. So I am not suggesting you shop there, only that you can learn from there. But, if you do want Poret, Dr. Tanner has the exclusive right to sell it in the USA.

There are a lot of different choices to pick from🤔

The above lecture confirmed my stance.

Not only you need a coarse porous media support (whatever it is), but as in a pond or very large filtering system...

You need a free space for water to overflow all the way on top to the tank and have a much lower water movement in the lower filtering media at the same time... Faster on top to aerate, lower in the bottom to filter...

Or switch to a Matten filter that is basically the same... In just one stage all the way by essence. I'm porting a tank soon for a Matten patent.

I hope all the stuff I ordered makes it... Loll.

Thus .... I'm still convinced that the big drop in nitrates I have experienced in this tank is down to changing to having 20 ppi foam only in all canister filters. Absolutely nothing else has changed, not even food brands. This tank has been running for many years.
For the sake of complete transparency the only other change is that I have added another 12 x Congo tetras (which, if anything, should increase nitrate levels slightly) since I last measured nitrates at around 25 ppm.

Thus .... I'm still convinced that the big drop in nitrates I have experienced in this tank is down to changing to having 20 ppi foam only in all canister filters. Absolutely nothing else has changed, not even food brands. This tank has been running for many years.
For the sake of complete transparency the only other change is that I have added another 12 x Congo tetras (which, if anything, should increase nitrate levels slightly) since I last measured nitrates at around 25 ppm.
Here is an interesting video on how to make the canister filter more effective. I like his filter media input on reducing nitrates. In the video description the author states:

WHAT IS A FULL CYCLE? If someone tells you the aquarium nitrogen cycle ends with the production of nitrate that is incorrect - please read on A full cycle is completed by bacteria - the aerobic part of biological filtration which processes ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate followed by an anaerobic part which processes nitrate into soluble nitrogen which bubbles off to the atmosphere.Therefore it requires a suitable amount of excellent quality filter media to be able to provide the environment for both aerobic AND anaerobic bacteria - that is what Biohome ultimate does perfectly but even with such good media there are limitations and we recommend the following amounts for different stocking scenarios:(1 US gallon = 3.8 litres)(1kg = 2.2 lbs)Average community tropical aquarium = 1kg per 100 litres Average coldwater aquarium = 1kg - 1.5kg per 100 litresPredator aquarium = 1.5kg - 2kg per 100 litresLarge cichlid aquarium = 1.5kg - 2kg per 100 litresMalawi / Tanganyikan aquarium = 1.5kg - 2kg per 100 litresMarine aquarium = 1.5kg - 2kg per 100 litresAverage mixed fish pond = 1kg per 200 litresAverage koi pond = 1kg per 150 litres

Last edited:
The best filter a tank can have is a well planted substrate of some depth. There should be no nitrate in the water to test at best and at worst you may never see a worrysome number.

The best fertilizer for most of the plants in a tank is ammonium which is created when ammonia is dissolved in water. They do not make nitrate when the use ammonium. But, in many tanks the amount of ammonia and hence ammonium may not be sufficient for the plants. But the bacteria which are still in planted tanks, even well planted ones, do make some nitrate.

Since we cannot add ammonia or ammonium to a tank, the plants will use the nitrate. And this will also act to lower nitrate levels.

A tank does not deal with ammonia, nitrite or nitrate which come close to what is present in waste water treatment. Yhere nitrate can be a problem. Since the conversion of nitrate back to the gaseous form requires facultative bacteria in zones where there is nitrate but no oxygen, they can deal with the level of nitrate we should get in tanks but in waste treatment it is different.

I used to add potassium nitrate to my high tech, C02 added planted tank.

SeaChem's Flourish Nitrogen: "Derived from: potassium nitrate, urea" (No ammonia).
NA Thrive All-in-One Liquid Aquarium Plant Fertilizer
Derived From: Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Phosphate, Potassium Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate, DTPA Iron, EDTA Iron, Manganese Sulfate, Boric Acid, Zinc Sulfate, Sodium Molybdate (No ammonia).
Easy Green - shows Nitrogen (NO3) (No ammonia).

If we want to convert any excess nitrate in our tanks back to nitrogen gas, as opposed to doing it via water change and thus pass it on to something can use it or convert it, there would be a cost in time, space and money to do so. For most hobbyists it is simply not practical. However, on a commercial level or in waste water treatment it is. There the amount of nitrate involved can not be dumped.

The below is from the EPA
Wastewater Management Fact Sheet

Denitrifying Filters

The organisms carrying out this process are called denitrifiers. In general, they are heterotrophic bacteria that metabolize readily biodegradable substrate under anoxic conditions using nitrate as the electron acceptor. If oxygen is available, these bacteria use it for metabolism before they use the nitrate. Therefore, dissolved oxygen concentrations must be minimized for the denitrification process to function efficiently. Oxygen is typically m avoiding aeration of the demand (BOD) so that the microorganisms use all the oxygen.

A readily biodegradable organic compound (a carbon source) must be available for the denitrifiers to use. Because the typical denitrifying filter installation is downstream of aerobic treatment, in which most of the organic material is oxidized, some organic material must be added to the filter influent to sustain the growth of the denitrifiers. The carbon source most often selected is methanol, which is readily degraded under anoxic and aerobic conditions. Other carbon sources, such as acetic acid, also can be used in denitrifying filter systems.
from Denitrifying Filters- EPA Fact Sheet

The best fertilizer for most of the plants in a tank is ammonium which is created when ammonia is dissolved in water. They do not make nitrate when the use ammonium. But, in many tanks the amount of ammonia and hence ammonium may not be sufficient for the plants. But the bacteria which are still in planted tanks, even well planted ones, do make some nitrate.
Oh yes, I agree with the plants eliminating the excess nitrates, etc. I have a 20 gallon tank with a HOB filter and my water parameters are always 0 Ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 0 nitrates. I attribute that to my floating duckweed and Amazon sword plant flourishing. Plus, the only fish I have in there is 6 neon tetras, a couple of amano shrimp, and an otto. So the bio-load is low anyway.

The problem I have is that my 65 gallon display tank is so high that to get lighting down to the plants, it takes a lot of intensity, and is causing algae growth. I like to keep the bottom clear anyway so my shoal of Roseline Sharks got a clear playground to run around in. I love watching those fish shoot around the obstacles on the bottom!

I have been reading about the nitrate-eliminating effects of Biohome Ultimate bio-filter media. I read that ceramic rings are a joke and a very poor choice for biomedia. I have some Biohome Ultimate but need to order a little more. Also, I have a mechanical prefilter I am going to attach to the intake of the canister filter. My Fluval 407 will be ready to eliminate the nitrates.

Interesting links and videos guys. I was not even aware of Biohome Ultimate as I haven't shopped around for filter media for a long time.

I’ll admit I’m a plant guy, as a natural filler ( I still use mechanical filtration, but expect they mostly move water) and I use 10 inch air bars, ( 2, in tanks bigger than my 45 gallons ) that circulate a lot of water from the bottom of the tank, to the top… I agree with what has been posted so far… and I don’t have any experience with a Matten filter.. one question, if one were trying to grow plants, and you had a “completely” cycled tank, wouldn’t those bacteria, actually compete with the plants… I don’t want to add back Nitrates, for the plants, ( I’m trying to only grow plants that thrive off of the fish waste, rather than me adding back fertilizer), when I’m trying to remove it for the fish… essentially, which is more aggressive, at removing nitrates, the bacteria, or the plants???

I’ll admit I’m a plant guy, as a natural filler ( I still use mechanical filtration, but expect they mostly move water) and I use 10 inch air bars, ( 2, in tanks bigger than my 45 gallons ) that circulate a lot of water from the bottom of the tank, to the top… I agree with what has been posted so far… and I don’t have any experience with a Matten filter.. one question, if one were trying to grow plants, and you had a “completely” cycled tank, wouldn’t those bacteria, actually compete with the plants… I don’t want to add back Nitrates, for the plants, ( I’m trying to only grow plants that thrive off of the fish waste, rather than me adding back fertilizer), when I’m trying to remove it for the fish… essentially, which is more aggressive, at removing nitrates, the bacteria, or the plants???
I agree that whatever works for your tanks is what you should do. Plants are definitely the way to go, if applicable. My 65-gallon display tank is deep, and I believe the problem arises with tanks that have big fish and heavy bio-loads where eliminating nitrates becomes an issue since plants cannot handle it all. I have another 40-gallon bare tank that has a very large albino pleco and large marbled angelfish that create a lot of bio-waste.

I do not see any reason to use Biohome. Also, one their site they sell Poret Foam as mechanical media and this is incorrect. it is the best Bio-media I have found in 24 years in the hobby. And they sell a limited variety of the Poret.

Given equal volumes of the Biohome and 20 ppi Poret foam in cubefilters or a Matternfilter, I will choose Poret every time. Btw, in nature most of mechanical filtration is done by living things. Even in tanks with Poret we will have the smallest of these doing the work. Bear in mind that most of what is called mechanical waste is actually organic in nature. This means it is food for other things.

Have a read here http://www.swisstropicals.com/?p=1201

I do not see any reason to use Biohome. Also, one their site they sell Poret Foam as mechanical media and this is incorrect. it is the best Bio-media I have found in 24 years in the hobby. And they sell a limited variety of the Poret.

Given equal volumes of the Biohome and 20 ppi Poret foam in cubefilters or a Matternfilter, I will choose Poret every time. Btw, in nature most of mechanical filtration is done by living things. Even in tanks with Poret we will have the smallest of these doing the work. Bear in mind that most of what is called mechanical waste is actually organic in nature. This means it is food for other things.

Have a read here http://www.swisstropicals.com/?p=1201
From that website, the author makes this one point:
Natural layers of biofiltration are usually undisturbed for longer periods of time (many weeks and months). In nature, no one squeezes out the debris or rinses the media on a weekly schedule.

I think the point missed is that in nature, fish live in millions of liters of water that can be constantly flowing, diluting, or fixed. But the amount of bacteria is way greater than could ever be achieved in our comparably small aquariums of water or in our filters. For any fish to survive in our small, contained "septic tank" environments, it is miraculous, to say the least.

I am going to experiment, I have two canister filters. In one, I am going to use all Biohome Ultimate bio-media, and in the other, I will use bio-foam. I want to see which one works better to eliminate nitrates without chemical filtration.

Yes and he followed that with the following which was omitted above:

Occasionally, seasonal floods or rains may “wash” a gravel bed but regular rinsing of the filter media is not happening. The microorganisms eat the debris and the sludge is completely broken down into gases and soluble products that then escape the pore space. Soil biofilters are almost maintenance-free. The released substances are either getting into the atmosphere or are taken up by plants.

For aquarium biofiltration to be most effective, filters should be running undisturbed for as long as possible.

The amount of bacteria in nature is what is needed to deal with the ammonia created there. The amount of bacteria in our established tanks is what is needed to deal with the ammonia created there. In nature a pond has less bacteria than a lake which has less than a big river system which has less than the ocean. In our hobby a 50 gal. tank has more bacteria than a 10 gal. and a 200 gal. has more than the 50.

In nature it is basically automated, in our tanks we have to change water manually. We have to feed fish, we have fertilize plants etc. How we may have to do this is a variable. But we have to do the things nature does in the wild because what happens there cannot happen in a tank. But we can keep the water clean in tanks the same as nature does do in the wild, just not the same way. What matters are the results.

So do not clean filters unless they need it, which they all will sooner or later. Do change the water regularly. In many cases weekly is enough. And I am not aware of any fish dying because there water was to clean (this does not mean pure, it means devoid of bad thiings and having the needed good ones present).

And we can make things better in tanks than in the wild. We can feed fish regularly. We can make sure there are no predators to eat them. We can treat them when they get sick or infected by nasties. We can protect them from drought or flooding. Nature may do the opposite in realtion to these things.

Interesting links and videos guys. I was not even aware of Biohome Ultimate as I haven't shopped around for filter media for a long time.
I ordered some Biohome Ultimate to see how well it really works.

FYI, that website for Biohome Ultimate has this recommendation for Eheim filters with layers of foam placement on the bottom of Course, Medium, and Fine: https://greatwaveeng.com/eheim-filters/

Keep us posted on your experiment. I’ll make my decision pending your results.

Most reactions

Back