Tank Will Be Empty For 2-3 Months

dreamermama

Reaction score
Hi,

A few days ago we removed all the fish and >50% of the water from our little 5 gallon tank by giving our 2 goldfish that were in it to some friends.

We plan to use the tank in a few months for some guppies, most likely. The reason for the delay is I am having a baby soon and won't have time to keep up with new fish for a while. I didn't do any water tests on it in recent weeks, but the filter had quit on me just before placing our goldfish for adoption so I did 50% water changes/gravel cleanings two days in a row to keep them healthy, so it might be pretty good. I would certainly want to make it good before putting new fish in it.

Currently there is only 4 inches or so of water left in the tank. Filter is off (not working). I am floating the filter media (used Whisper sponge with charcoal) in the tank to keep it wet. I am also running the air stone (thing that makes bubbles)--is this helpful or unnecessary? I hate to start over with cycling, although I will probably need a new filter. Any thing else I should do or not do to get this tank "ready" for tropicals after a delay of 2-3 months?

Thanks in advance! :)

Best bet would be to get some cycled filter media from another member in a few months. You could keep the tank cycled by running it as if it had fish in it, and adding a little ammonia daily to feed the nitrifying bacteria. This would require repairing or replacing the filter, as well as water changes every few weeks.

Thanks. :)

I should have added that we also have a 10 gallon with fish in it. Could I make use of anything from that filter somehow, when the time comes to get the 5 gal ready for fish again? The 10 gal filter is much bigger and totally different in shape, etc, so I don't know exactly how I would use it other than to maybe change out its sponge (will be due for a new sponge by then) and suspend the used sponge in some nylon in the 5 gallon?

get the filter for the new tank (can do this now or when you want to set the tank up) and set it up on the existing 10gal, run them in tandem for at least two weeks (more is preferable) then the new filter for the 5gal will cycle while it's on the 10gal, but cos you've a mature filter on there anyway you won't get any ammonia or anything like that. when it's been running for a few weeks or a month just swap it over to the 5gal, fill it with water, when it's up to temp you can add fish the same day :good:

If that is the case, run the 5 gallon filter on the 10 gallon tank, along with the 10 gallon filter. This will keep it cycled. When the time comes to set up the 5 gallon, don't feed the 10 gallon for 24 hours before pulling the 5 gallon filter, and feed lightly for the next week, about 1/3 normal. The same applies to the 5 gallon.

What you will be doing is cloning the 5 gallon, I do this all the time with all sorts of tanks. Do not follow the manufacturer's instructions for media replacement, just rinse the old media in tank water to clean it. I have filter sponges that are several years old and still going strong.

Thank you so much for the tips--I had forgotten the cloning possibility. Sounds relatively easy and like it will help us get a quick start when we're ready. I'm already excited! :)

A few more questions:

Should I empty the tank of water now? Later? Or keep it for the new fish?

Any benefit to leaving the used filter medium in the tank (from the filter that broke)?

Any benefit to leaving the airstone running?

Thank you so much for the tips--I had forgotten the cloning possibility. Sounds relatively easy and like it will help us get a quick start when we're ready. I'm already excited! :)

A few more questions:

Should I empty the tank of water now? Later? Or keep it for the new fish?

Any benefit to leaving the used filter medium in the tank (from the filter that broke)?

Any benefit to leaving the airstone running?

yes, no and no

drain the tank, clean it, shut it away and a cupboard and fill the space with baby clutter!!! no need to keep water in it or keep anything running, when you're ready set it up as new but with some mature media from the other tank

Most reactions

Back