Tank Volume Turnover

rvdbarnes

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys

Im in the process of picking which powerheads to go with and im now trying to work which sizes i need?

My question is, what kind of volume turnover should i be looking at per hour???
My tank is going to be a 40g...

cheers :good:

Lee

20x tank turnover minimum IMO

so a 40g tank is 148l so x20 gives 2960lph worth of powerheads you need :good:

WOW

I didnt expect that much!!!

A bit more tank info too, the tank is going to be around 38" x 18" x 18". which on the PFK magazine worked out at between 40 and 44 gal. Hopefully, this has worked out accurately?

I was looking at the koralia range so are we talking a couple of 1s?
I want plenty of circulation, obviously without blowing everyone around the tank!!! :sick:

Koralia 1 1,500lph 400gph
Koralia 2 2300lph 600 gph
Koralia 3 3200lph 850 gph
Koralia 4 4600lph 1200 gph

Lee

if you get all the power from 1 powerhead or from a couple that's really your call, personally i prefer to have a few so you can have it going in different directions, easy to get dead spots with just 1 powerhead

as well i've found 20x isn't always enough, a lot of our corals like medium-high flow and to get this directionally on each coral we're probably getting close to 30x turnover now.

it's not an exact science anyway you'll probably re-arrange and adjust things as you go on, but roughly 20x is a good starting point

Easy way of working out gallons from dimensions- pop it in google:

38 * 18 * 18 = 12312 inches cubed

then type in "12312 inches cubed to gallons" = 53.29 US Gallons OR 44.38 Imperial (Uk) Gallons

:good:

The required turnover of 20x minimum refers to standard needle jet powerheads. Propellor style powerheads (such as the Seio, Hydor or Tunze Streams) do not require such a huge turnover.

Bulk water movement devices (such as the Tunze Wavebox) requires even less "turnover" as they move all the water in the tank from one side to the other.

Great comments. If the tank is a standard model, the 40g breeder usually has dimensions of 36x18x16 if that helps :)

The required turnover of 20x minimum refers to standard needle jet powerheads. Propellor style powerheads (such as the Seio, Hydor or Tunze Streams) do not require such a huge turnover.

Bulk water movement devices (such as the Tunze Wavebox) requires even less "turnover" as they move all the water in the tank from one side to the other.

never knew that, thankyou!

Ah very interesting!!

So I reckon i might go with a couple of KORALIA 1 and lower the output on them if i start getting a bit tidal in there!!

Lee

Most reactions

Back