Tank Linking Question

beechey

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi I've got 3 15 gallon tanks in my garage I'm wanting to set up more breeding tanks how would I set all these up with one filter etc like how they are in the fish shops etc ?

Depends how brave you feel!

Personally, i'd get a 4th cheap tank to sit below them as a sump...

Drill all three tanks to have two holes, one each end on the back of the tank. Pipe fittings can be bought from wickes etc and have a return and drain from each tank. Returns all drop into the sump and then a pump with a 3 way splitter to return the water to each tank.

I am interested in this as well.
How would one use a Central filtration over multiple tanks.
Are there checkvalves , floats, or how exactly would one set it up?

You started the explanation , I feel it is incomplete

if im gonna have to drill holes in tanks then proberly need 2 new tanks as one is a good tank bow front etc !
so all 3 would exit in to the sump tank ! how does the water cycle round?

Mine wasnt a complicated set up, they were bare tanks for breeding angels and growing on young discus :p

I literally had 4 tanks in a square on stands and in the middle on the floor, a 5th tank.

All four tanks had two holes drilles, one hole was just a hole and pipe dropping down into the sump (an overflow, as long as there is water going into the tank... water overflows back out the other hole..) and i made strainers so fish didnt go down! Just used pond hose as the pipework as it wasnt on show but you can use solid pipe.

I had a pond pump in the bottom tank with a hosetail and a few inches of hose and I used a 3 way splitter and a T piece to split the return pipe from the pump to cover the four tanks... the pump size will depend on the volume of water...

It was so basic a settup, pump pumps the water to 4 tanks where it overflows down the other pipe back down to the pump and it cycles round. The sump itself had lots of biomedia in it and the return pipes went in behind a sheet of sponge before going to the pump to be returned.

Dan the fish man!!! Hope your taking pics

I understand it just unsure how to make ur own sump ! And how the pump is in the sump

Beechey, you can build overflows without drilling your tanks. I have set up overflows on my breeding tanks with no drilling. Will dig out a video link I did if you like?

Most reactions

Back