Tank Cycling

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

10saltdude01

Reaction score
I've been cycling my tank now for 5 months. I still have .5 ammonia and .25 nitrite. I've dosed it with seachem stabilizer. After that didn't work i used instant ocean bio spira.

Whoa five months is a long time to cycle.  Is there anything in the tank?
Also, test your tap water.  If you're getting 0.5 ammonia and 0.25 nitrites from tap water, your test kit is mess up.  Do you use dip testers or liquid testers?  Dip testers are quite inaccurate at times.

Wow five months?!?! Something's wrong..... Do some research on cycling marine tanks, that is way to long.

NeonBlueLeon said:
Whoa five months is a long time to cycle.  Is there anything in the tank?
Also, test your tap water.  If you're getting 0.5 ammonia and 0.25 nitrites from tap water, your test kit is mess up.  Do you use dip testers or liquid testers?  Dip testers are quite inaccurate at times.
I would hope that, with this being a marine tank, that the OP is using RO water rather than tap. If not, then that might go some way to explaining the problem.

I agree that the test kit might be to blame though. What kind of kit are you using?

Your earlier posts mention livestock. Do you still have animals in this tank? If so, what is the stock list and how much live rock do you have?

As others have suggested, the kits could be off. Old test kits and those that have been contaminated or exposed to bad conditions can end up giving strange readings. Have your water tested by a LFS to see if they get the same results. If you are using tap, take in a sample of your source of new water (in case the LFS gets the same result on the tank water) to have it checked as well to see if that is where the nutrients are coming from. 

Most reactions

Back