Swapped Out The Gravel And Background, Planting Next Week....

Love the pebbles! :good:

May I suggest something though? The melon sword you planted infront of the driftwood is covering the arch. I'd keep the arch exposed as much as possible, as it's an interesting focal point. Perhaps move the melon sword to the left, behind the driftwood but slightly infront of the lily plant...? Also move the plant beside the lily (is it really a lily? haven't seen those green kind before...) juuust a little more to the right.

The bunched plants on the right could also use a little spacing. Don't bunch them too close, the lower leaves will starve for light.

Just a little tweaking here and there ;), but other than that, it's a lovely and clean scape. :good:

Cheers for the advice, I'll move them tonight :)
On the left starting on the back;
Echinodorus Grandiflorus ssp.
Echinodorus Bleheri (paniculatus)
Echinodorus x Barthii
and on the right from the back;
Echinodorus x Barthii
Hygrophilia Corymbosa "Angustifolia"
Samolus Volerandi

It's my first attempt at a planted tank so all comments greatly appreciated.

Pic as promised;

DSCF2897.jpg

Crikey!This is my fav tank...its georgous :drool: luv the rocks and pebbles and I also like the open space in the middle for the fish to swim and the colors are just mixed in rite :good:

Thank you all very much for your comments :)

Amazing that the same girl who chose the muti-coloured gravel also designed this scheme....

Thanks again.

:)

Tell her that her aquascaping has improved with age :lol:

2 Months on and well frankly, it's disgusting!!
I've been doing the same amount of water changes I always have done but...:-( :( :crazy: well here, check out the pics :
DSCF3009.jpg

DSCF3010.jpg

DSCF3012.jpg

DSCF3014.jpg

DSCF3015.jpg

DSCF3017.jpg

DSCF3021.jpg

DSCF3018.jpg

I've tried Green water control and hair algae treatment but so far nothing is touching it.
Can't believe the colour difference of the gravel :no: :X :angry:

Never had this amount of algae with the the non planted tank.

Amy suggestions???

Well i found the following information below just a moment ago so could provide some help. I was getting a bit of hair algae recently on my tropical tank. Once i added CO2 and the hornwort started growing quicker where i was taking the offcuts i made and replanting them it seems to have taken care of it using the nutrients in the water. So if you get some faster growing plants that may help.

Any way here is the information:

Name: Hair algae
Type: Green filamentous algae
Agent: Pithophora or Cladophora
Difficulty: Variable
Distribution: Attaches to plants, decor and equipment
Symptoms: Green thread, fuzz, hairy or brushy mats attached to plants, decor and equipment
Treatments: The best approach for hair algae control is to apply the following corrective actions in order:

Quote:
Things that must be done:
1. Remove as much visible hair algae as possible via manual removal. A filter cleaning brush or length of rigid airline tubing twirled around and pulled works well.
2. Clean filter media well.
3. Remove all visible mulm and detritus from the top portion of the substrate via water changes.
4. Assure ample water circulation and filtration. A filter turnover rate of at least 4 to 5 times per hour is a good general minimum.
5. Discontinue the use of buffering agents that contain phosphates. Check your label or manufacturers website.
6. Discontinue the use of liquid fertilizers that add iron to the water column.
7. Discontinue the use of water conditioners that contain plant sap (Stress Coat, etc).
8. Do not allow direct sunlight to hit the tank.
9. Provide proper lighting specifications:

* Duration: Maintain 12-hour on/off periods for lighting in planted aquaria. In some cases 8-10 hours of on time is enough. Fish only tanks need only keep lights on for feeding and viewing.
* Intensity: Maintain lighting intensity under 3 Watts per gallon.
* Color Spectrum: Use full-spectrum fluorescent lighting.

Things that can or should be done after the things that must be done:
1. Add fast growing and hardy plants:

* Water sprite
* Hornwort
* Duckweed
* Dwarf hygro

2. Add phosphate absorbing beads or pads to the filter.
3. Add CO2 injection to a planted tank. This will lower pH and help kick the plants into high gear.
4. Add KNO3 in the form of liquid fertilizer to planted tanks if NO3 measures zero. Maintain NO3 levels at 5 to 10 ppm.

Things that help temporarily and after trying everything else:
1. Add fresh high-quality filter carbon (GAC).
2. Do a three-day blackout with a trash bag or dark blanket, so that no light gets in the tank at all. Remove CO2 injection during blackout.
3. Employ hair algae consumers:

* Siamese algae eaters
* Ghost or algae eating shrimp
* American flag fish
* various barbs with rosy and gold barbs being best
* Various livebearers with mollies being best

Prophylaxis: Consider "things that must be done" above as preventative and corrective actions. Rinse and quarantine new plants and used decor before introducing them to your established tank.
Mortality: N/A
References: Effective algae control

Notes: Hair algae can be unsightly when out of control. Under control it can serve as a minor food source for aquatic creatures and act as a natural nutrient sponge.

Hope it helps!

A lot of that sounds like utter crap to me.

Fight fire with fire.

Your plants look like they are defficient in some nutrients. If this is the case they won't grow, thus giving algae the edge as is evident. If you are over feeding and overstocked then this won't help matters either. Amm's are algaes best friend.

Get your plants to grow, thus dominating out the algae.

I would start by completely blacking your tank out completely for 3-4 days - Lights OFF, NO peeking - NO feeding. Just lovely darkness. Goodbye algae. (I have done this & it works).

Then clean out the crap, Vac the gravel, boil & scrub anything that can be removed. Do a large water change. Use a weak bleach solution (but NOT on the wood or you'll loose much of the colouration like I did!)

Add CO2 (Cost about £20), adequate lighting (2W / US Gal) introduce a lighting siesta - 4hrs on, 2 off, 4hrs on. Add more plants (50% coverage minimum).

FEED your plants. NPK for macro nutrients, SeaChem Flourish for the micro-nutrients (Or SeaChem Flourish Excel to boost the CO2 if needs be). Do weekly 50% water changes. Thus you'll tackle the root problem and not keep cleaning everything. Remove the carbon from your filter or it will absorb the nutrients the plants need.

Andy

Seriously, good luck mate. :good:

If you are running CO2, turn it off. If you have an air stone et al, turn it on.

I fell your pain!!!

Most reactions

Back