Surface Dweller For A Tetra Tank?

challdog

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
howdy,
looking for a fish that will live primarily at the surface of my 30L tetra tank.
currently houses ten ember tetras, so looking for a small-ish fish that should leave the tetras alone.
cheers guys
:)

Well, a betta is a surface dweller, but they don't stay at the surface. Maybe a gourami would fit. It'd be a stretch though.

endlers are surface dwellers?

I don't count a betta as a surface dweller, mine uses the whole tank only going to the top occasionally

Yeah, 30 litres is just about enough for 10 ember tetras, but I like to be generous with space for stocking. There's nothing really that I could recommend, you could perhaps squeeze in some bottom dwellers? 4 or 5 Pygmy Cories perhaps, depending on your substrate?

howdy,
looking for a fish that will live primarily at the surface of my 30L tetra tank.
currently houses ten ember tetras, so looking for a small-ish fish that should leave the tetras alone.
cheers guys
:)

You could look at some hatchet fish if you tank is closed top (as they jump) and i'm lead to beleive that they have quite a small bio load.

I've considerd hatchet fish myself but their skittish nature has put me off. It's often reccommended that they have floating plants for cover, just FYI

Hatchetfish are supposed to really need big group numbers to feel secure, like 10+ as a minimum, which you don't have the space for in a 30l (which I personally would not feel comfortable holding 10 Ember Tetras in long term).

If you upgraded to at least a 24"(l)x18"(w)x12"(d), combining your Embers with 10 specimens of a smaller Hatchetfish becomes a lot more feasible in my opinion.

I like my marbled hatchets. At first I thought they were kind of boring as they just sit at the top and don't really swim around a lot, but once they become used to the tank they chase each other and swim in circles around each other--kind of entertaining. The marble hatches don't get as large as the silver. They ARE very skittish, so the larger the school, the better.

Most reactions

Back