Surely it cant be...?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Subscope

Reaction score
Ok so once again my wife decided to be nice and buy me 3 corydorus...however these things are HUGE! Surely this is not a normal cory...

Attachments

• 20210809_221220.jpg
    20210809_221220.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 1,270
if the fish seems huge in the tank, the tank is too small

the substrate is also too rough for corydoras

I also have some giant bronze corys females can be over 3inches in size , sand would be preferred for them in fairness

Thank you for your replies and I'm glad that it appears to in fact be a cory. Regarding the substrate, it's about a 3 foot long tank with plenty space for big girls like these, half of which is sand and half is crushed coral to increase my pH and Gh levels

Thank you for your replies and I'm glad that it appears to in fact be a cory. Regarding the substrate, it's about a 3 foot long tank with plenty space for big girls like these, half of which is sand and half is crushed coral to increase my pH and Gh levels
Corys do prefer softer water so I wouldn’t bother buffering to raise the ph and gh unless it’s super low

At the reception last saturday at the new lfs, I saw some of those giants as well. But these cories ain't the only ones that can grow up excessively.

Had some peppered cories that large before, just sold as XL cories.

I dislike this dirty habit to produce giant fish or giant fruits, or giant vegetables :angry:

Some 7cm is considered a normal size for a female Bronze Cory, or 2 1⁄2 inches.
The substrate is good enough in texture and grain size. (You should see what the substrate is like where these fish naturally occur ;) ). That said, if you could make them a beach, they'd appreciate it.
The very white colour, however, maybe stressful for some fish.

Should have been more precise : I dislike it when genetics is used to create gigantism that will be detrimental to fish.
This process actually happens in nature too but In smaller number so it’s not actually bad for the fish

Most reactions

Back