Surely it cant be...?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

This process actually happens in nature too but In smaller number so it’s not actually bad for the fish
Mutations do occur naturally, but anyone with a basic knowledge of biology will tell you that such mutations are usually wiped out, because the creature cannot survive in the real world, due to those mutations. Survival of the fittest, etc..
For example, albinism makes a fish stick out like a sore thumb and guess which fish will get eaten first, in the big river? The same would be true for those so-called 'Glo-fish'.
Large, flowing fins are a hindrance in the natural environment, being prone to tears and infections and they spoil the mobility of the fish in a competitive world.
I'd struggle to see ANY visible man made mutation that is actually good for the fish. They are all vanity projects for people playing God and are appreciated by those who prefer to view living things as objects and/or tools..

All giants of any species will struggle and die young.
This is usually the case, however animals in a species can increase in size, or shrink, over generations and this is also due to more subtle mutations. It is the gradual change that allows organisms to adapt and develop and such changes are almost always driven by environmental factors.

Mutations do occur naturally, but anyone with a basic knowledge of biology will tell you that such mutations are usually wiped out, because the creature cannot survive in the real world, due to those mutations. Survival of the fittest, etc..
For example, albinism makes a fish stick out like a sore thumb and guess which fish will get eaten first, in the big river? The same would be true for those so-called 'Glo-fish'.
Large, flowing fins are a hindrance in the natural environment, being prone to tears and infections and they spoil the mobility of the fish in a competitive world.
I'd struggle to see ANY visible man made mutation that is actually good for the fish. They are all vanity projects for people playing God and are appreciated by those who prefer to view living things as objects and/or tools..
Ya it doesn’t directly harm the fish ina aquarium setting with no predators,albinos are a completely different thing

This is usually the case, however animals in a species can increase in size, or shrink, over generations and this is also due to more subtle mutations. It is the gradual change that allows organisms to adapt and develop and such changes are almost always driven by environmental factors.
That is evolution not what is being discussed here. ;)

This process actually happens in nature too but In smaller number so it’s not actually bad for the fish
Sorry, but this is just wrong.
Ya it doesn’t directly harm the fish ina aquarium setting with no predators,albinos are a completely different thing
Actually, it often does harm the fish.
Many of those indulging themselves and the market, by mutating fish, do not have a good knowledge of the complexities of the organisms they are working with and most certainly do not have the science to safely maniplate the genetics involved.
Making changes to the exterior of a fish will probably also have unseen internal changes, many of which won't become apparent for a time and, by then, it'll be too late. Decreased fertlity is just one consequence.
As a result, in aquarium settings, we have fish that are severely weakened and more prone to disease, with shorter lifespans.

Sorry, but this is just wrong.

Actually, it often does harm the fish.
Many of those indulging themselves and the market, by mutating fish, do not have a good knowledge of the complexities of the organisms they are working with and most certainly do not have the science to safely maniplate the genetics involved.
Making changes to the exterior of a fish will probably also have unseen internal changes, many of which won't become apparent for a time and, by then, it'll be too late. Decreased fertlity is just one consequence.
As a result, in aquarium settings, we have fish that are severely weakened and more prone to disease, with shorter lifespans.
Explain how some people are taller than another? So do humans mutate themselves too?,watch some documentaries

Explain how some people are taller than another? So do humans mutate themselves too?,watch some documentaries
You are arguing a point, just for the sake of arguing and it's getting tiresome. :rolleyes:

Please do NOT tell me to 'watch documentaries'. I have no need, having studied hard at school and university. If they are the basis of your education, then you will have problems later in life.
I watch more than National Geographic television documentaries and have an MA in biological sciences.

YOU said, and I quote "This process actually happens in nature too but In smaller number so it’s not actually bad for the fish".
I said that you are wrong and that is does harm fish.
I gave solid examples.
I also described how, even in the artificial aquarium setting, it is harmful to the fish. Again, I gave solid examples.

Once more and for the final time, mutations occur all the time and occasionally they benefit the animal. Occasionally. The majority cause the animal harm and, in the natural world, animals with those mutations die off. In the aquarium, those harmful mutations are encouraged by some, who think that the end result looks good. Idiots than buy these fish, because they look good, being ignorant of the actual harm done to the fish.
Those few mutations that benefit an animal are, by nature, slight. Extreme mutations occur and these cause harm. The example given of giant human beings is a good one, because those people suffer badly with circulatory problems and bone/joint issues.

I find your argumentative nature pointless, based, as it is, on ignorance. Henceforth, I will ignore your posts.

Most reactions

Back