Struggling with water clarity. Tried everything I can think of 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DGJ

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Having a real hard time with the water clarity in my tank, been like this for a few months now and no matter what I do I just can’t get it clear.

I have added a 2nd filter and a power head so I currently have:

1 x sunsun304b
1 x ciano internal filter that comes with the emotions 120 tank
1 x powerhead

I’ve been doing water changes, few days ago I cleaned both filters top to bottom (in tank water) replaced the filter wool with fresh, cleaned all the debris out of the tank, scrubbed the decor and the pictures are from the next day.

the tank looks clear in the day or with the light on but at night with the light on it’s a mess.

mum starting to get to the point where I think I am close to quitting the hobby as it seems impossible to get it clear.

Any help would be amazing

Attachments

• 8F92E7CF-A6EB-4EBD-BDE7-A76DA9C0E4C8.jpeg
    8F92E7CF-A6EB-4EBD-BDE7-A76DA9C0E4C8.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 76E51E74-9E35-4B39-AE32-463A2A0BEAAA.jpeg
    76E51E74-9E35-4B39-AE32-463A2A0BEAAA.jpeg
    297.9 KB · Views: 57
Did you rinse/clean your filter media especially the sponge pads for all your filters?
You have to rinse them at least once a month with tank water or tap water treated with water conditioner.

Also, pour out all the water from your Sunsun 304b(canister filter) and replace with fresh water.

You can also add some filter floss at the last stage of filtration of Sunsun 304b to trap all the debris.
I think only filter floss can trap this fine particles/debris.
But this filter floss need to be changed frequently whenever it gets too dirty.

I don't know what all that weird debris is... but perhaps it is coming off the rocks? Or maybe a ton of debris is trapped under or around them and that's what's constantly messing up the water clarity. I would look there first. That flotsam I see is unusual for a tank. Doesn't look like food or poop debris, but like mineral debris. I don't think filter floss is the issue here... because I do not use ANY filter floss or sponges at all in my tank or filters (only hard media) and my tank has clear water and always has. I think something IN THE TANK is the issue here.

Hey - yes I cleaned everything top to bottom, rinsed all pads and the balls and rings in the bags. threw away the floss and replaced at the top and bottom.
Did you rinse/clean your filter media especially the sponge pads for all your filters?
You have to rinse them at least once a month with tank water or tap water treated with water conditioner.

Also, pour out all the water from your Sunsun 304b(canister filter) and replace with fresh water.

You can also add some filter floss at the last stage of filtration of Sunsun 304b to trap all the debris.

I took everything out of the tank at the start of the week and deep cleaned it all, vacuumed the sand, scrubbed the rocks.

What can I do if it is mineral issues?

Would a surface skimmer be a benefit?
I don't know what all that weird debris is... but perhaps it is coming off the rocks? Or maybe a ton of debris is trapped under or around them and that's what's constantly messing up the water clarity. I would look there first. That flotsam I see is unusual for a tank. Doesn't look like food or poop debris, but like mineral debris. I don't think filter floss is the issue here... because I do not use ANY filter floss or sponges at all in my tank or filters (only hard media) and my tank has clear water and always has. I think something IN THE TANK is the issue here.

vac on t

I wish I could be sure. I have never kept rocks in my tanks before. My theory came from me looking and seeing that the rocks look kind of "crumbly" like this one here. If the rocks are constantly crumbling off... then the water will never be clear regardless. But that was just my theory. I could be incorrect but I definitely don't think dirty filter floss or anything is relevant here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210901-024314_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210901-024314_Chrome.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 38
Probably only the filter floss can trap this fine particles.
Try filter floss...
Put the filter floss in your canister filter at the last stage of filtration.

Not if the filter has only been running for a few months and NEVER rinse your filter media in tap water, even if that water has been conditioned. Rinse the filters ouyt in tank water, when you do water change. This will preserve the beneficial bacteria.
Best not...see above.
Filter floss in a filter IS a good way to reduce fine particles.
Looking at the tank, (I assume you have two tanks...one with the cichlids and another with the 'goldfish'?), it looks a little crowded. Not knowing exactly what fish you have in there and how many, I could still guess that they are of the type that likes to rummage through the substrate?

Some of that 'weird' debris could be particles from the substrate and/or rocks, a low bacterial bloom or even algae.

Without knowing more about your tank set-up and how long it has been set up, this is all guesswork.

Tank has been set up for 5 months now. Parameters are fine and fully cycled.

was crystal clear up until 2 months ago. Now it’s just constantly like this.

If anything the majority of the particles look like tiny micro bubbles

also doing another water change now and noticed white build up on the top above the water?

Attachments

• 7C3CBF40-79B9-468D-AB9A-B698EA6A83C3.jpeg
    7C3CBF40-79B9-468D-AB9A-B698EA6A83C3.jpeg
    274.6 KB · Views: 49

also doing another water change now and noticed white build up on the top above the water?
Have you done the Vinegar Test on those rocks?
Take them out of the tank, dry them off and pour some vinegar on them. If they fizz, then the acid of the vinegar is dissolving them and that means that they'll be slowing dissolving in your tank.

Have you done the Vinegar Test on those rocks?
Take them out of the tank, dry them off and pour some vinegar on them. If they fizz, then the acid of the vinegar is dissolving them and that means that they'll be slowing dissolving in your tank.
Thanks for this. I will get some vinegar tomorrow and do rhat

Usually the white stuff on top is Calcium Carbonate built up that comes from your tap water.
Do my you know your tap water GH?

Hard water that has high GH usually will have a lot of Calcium and other minerals.

Anyway, there is nothing to worry about if its due to hard water.

Here are some info for you.

Most reactions

Back